Dave's Image Thread

Dave_W

The Dude
Re: Mojo's Image Thread

The some times deadly flower of the Jimson Weed plant (aka Locoweed) but readers of Carlos Castaneda's book will know this as 4-headed "Devils Weed".

(D70s images)

DSC_0498-Edit-sm.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude

Any info from Nikon on your D800?

Nothing yet. I was going to give a call next week and see if they had heard anything from Nikon yet. The camera arrived to Nikon on Tuesday and in their system by Wed, and if the average repair is around 5 working days it should be sent back mid to late next week. So possibly Friday or next Monday/Tuesday? Maybe...? My worry is that she'll come back working but will still have that pesky left focus issue. If so, I'm going to take it directly back to my dealer and push him into getting the rep to just give me a new body.

nikonpup

i can see pic #41 and #48 all others "attachments" when i click on attachment i get the page you are looking for could not be found ????????????

Dave_W

The Dude

i can see pic #41 and #48 all others "attachments" when i click on attachment i get the page you are looking for could not be found ????????????

It's my fault. For some reason I thought our images were not being copied by the Google-bot's and uploaded to the google site. And I didn't like seeing my images appearing in google searches and on facebook pages of people I don't even know. So I took Rick's advice and removed all photos without any watermarks and will only post images that contain free advertising for my website. You know, I didn't mind sharing my images here on the Nikonites board or sharing them with anyone, for that matter, but the key is that I made the choice to share them. Seeing Google sharing my images without any mention of ownership just rubbed me the wrong way. We've all worked too hard and spent way too much money to just lose ownership of our creations like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like having a watermark is any kind of panacea for pirated images but it does raise the bar for potential theft. Kinda of like locking your doors and closing your windows at night, if someone wants to get in they'll find a way but at least you've raised the bar and made it hard enough to help keep the honest people honest.

nikonpup

i do not know if i would be pissed or flattered if someone used my pictures. Does anyone know much a picture pirate would make for a photo?

Dave_W

The Dude

i do not know if i would be pissed or flattered if someone used my pictures. Does anyone know much a picture pirate would make for a photo?

Actually, I doubt the images at the size I posted them would be worth much, if anything. But for me it's not a money issue rather it's more of a principle issue. I want to be in control of my art. We all work very hard to produce the images that we do. We've all studied and experimented and spend countless hours and 1,000's of dollars to produce these images and as a result we have earned the right to choose with whom we share our art with. And just because we placed them here for fellow Nikonites to enjoy doesn't mean we've ceded our rights of ownership and distribution. However, placing a watermark that directs potential viewers to your website gives the owner a modicum of benefit in exchange for losing their rights of ownership. It's still a broken system and Google should not be lifting our images to their sites but it is what it is - life in the great information age.

AC016

Hi Dave, nice pics. Sorry to hear that people are stealing them though. The watermark is a good idea, but the placement of it on your pics makes it easy for people to just crop the bottom and get rid of it. Damon put's his right across the middle, which i feel is more of a deterent - they can't crop out the middle of a picture because that would defeat the purpose of stealing it.

Dave_W

The Dude

Hi Dave, nice pics. Sorry to hear that people are stealing them though. The watermark is a good idea, but the placement of it on your pics makes it easy for people to just crop the bottom and get rid of it. Damon put's his right across the middle, which i feel is more of a deterent - they can't crop out the middle of a picture because that would defeat the purpose of stealing it.

Well, I suppose you're probably right and the more obnoxious the watermark, the less chances the photo will be misused but I can't bring myself to ruin a nice image that way. It's kind of like your car - there's no way you can be 100% sure it won't be stolen so you put enough deterrent to keep the honest people honest. And like nearly everything in our modern world, it's a compromise that allows use to pretend we live in a civilized world with laws that keep us safe but at the same time acknowledging that we are always at risk of losing our possessions to those dedicated to taking them.

Dave_W

The Dude

My Trumpet flower tree has gone completely bonkers! Would you believe that just 3 yrs ago this was just a 2 ft stick with a couple of leaves on it and in this short of a time it has grown nearly as tall as my 2 story house! And at night the perfume of so many flowers is almost overpowering! Unfortunately, it doesn't get a lot of directly sunlight, which may explain it's huge size, so taking photos of it presents a bit of a challenge.

D8A_0272.jpg