D750 Light Leak videos

J-see

sure thing Jsee. and it will never happen that I will shoot a clip of the groom&bride outside or indoors with light overhead or even at an angle that shows the leak, correct? youre talking nonsense. this is a major problem. the leak wouldnt even be such an issue if it wasnt for the very noticeable and unaesthic line. your images shows it indoors, you did see how intense and noticeable it is outdoors, yes?

I guess you would know best. I'm just someone that can replicate it and show what happens and how it doesn't happen. But hey, you watched the video so what do I know. And it's so intense outside because the sun is a bit more bright than my kitchen light

Last edited:

J-see

Here's one showing the glare and one where I point slightly up to show the position below my light. Might make it easier to replicate.

035.jpg

036.jpg

rocketman122

I guess you would know best. I'm just someone that can replicate it and show what happens and how it doesn't happen. But hey, you watched the video so what do I know.

I saw your pictures and you can see a light leak, but here it is in the video as clear as it can be in daylight and very strong as well. there is no denying there is a major problem here. you tried to create it under certain circumstances, his video is showing it in a regular situation I would be shooting in. in fact I would be doing flared video clips on purpose and I cannot have a defect like this show up in my clips. this is a huge problem. like I said, youre not understanding the severity of the problem here. this is not a D600 with oil where you can use a wet swab and get through. this is not an overheated SB900 where I can simply grab another flash I have. there is no workaround with this defect, I shoot outdoors all the time. it will come in sooner or later and I cannot take a chance on when it does. this is not good. I saw the few videos that posted the issue but said "eh, just a few bad batches, no biggee" but this video is all the proof one needs.

J-see

If you ask me, all this video proves is that the guy doesn't know much about lenses and light. The sun on top and his lens pointed slightly upwards below.

J-see

didja get a chnace to check outside? im really curious about that. sigh. now a monkey wrench in my plan.

It's night here so that won't work and I haven't seen much sun during the last weeks. I never had any problem and had to do effort to replicate it but then again, I close to never shoot below a light source. I'm curious if it is zoom lens specific. The same lens at 24mm doesn't have the problem so it has to do with the position of the glass inside in combination with the stray light that hits.

If it was the cam, holding a piece of paper above the lens front should make no difference. It does get rid of the problem so it is simply freaky light behavior. Even with a hood, it's still possible the light hits the inside of the hood and the lens catches that. If you check the video, you see moments where his hood is pretty lit inside.

A lens hood protects the lens from stray light but if you tilt the lens upward, you shorten the coverage of the top of the hood protecting the bottom of the lens. Then at the right angle the light has an open path inside.

Last edited:

rocketman122

If you ask me, all this video proves is that the guy doesn't know much about lenses and light. The sun on top and his lens pointed slightly upwards below.

look from 3:40 and see how many images he captured with the very heavy light leak. so youre saying no one should shoot slightly upwards? no one should try and be creative by shooting at a light upward angle? only point it downwards, yes? Jsee, cmon now..does that sound reasonable? ive owned quite a few cameras, shot hundreds of weddings, never did I encouter a problem like this, no matter what lens I used, where I pointed the lens under any circumstances and what he says as a pro photog he says he is, is correct. I think he knows enough about light and lenses. you might not think so but he shot under a normal condition. youre the one pointing it at the ceiling trying to get it to come out. his video and pictures are as clear as can be. hes not even straining to show the defect and was able to create the defect in tons of varying situations. which means the problem is not as minute and only shows under very rare circumstances. come now Jsee, dont be so naive.

Horoscope Fish

Okay I can duplicate this "light leak" indoors but it's reeeally tricky: The light source has to be REALLY bright, pretty much directly overhead and at JUST the right angle. Moving one step in any direction is enough to kill the "light leak" entirely. Outdoors I just can't make it happen at all.

Personally, I'm having a hard time getting worked up about this.

J-see

look from 3:40 and see how many images he captured with the very heavy light leak. so youre saying no one should shoot slightly upwards? no one should try and be creative by shooting at a light upward angle? only point it downwards, yes? Jsee, cmon now..does that sound reasonable? ive owned quite a few cameras, shot hundreds of weddings, never did I encouter a problem like this, no matter what lens I used, where I pointed the lens under any circumstances and what he says as a pro photog he says he is, is correct. I think he knows enough about light and lenses. you might not think so but he shot under a normal condition. youre the one pointing it at the ceiling trying to get it to come out. his video and pictures are as clear as can be. hes not even straining to show the defect and was able to create the defect in tons of varying situations. which means the problem is not as minute and only shows under very rare circumstances. come now Jsee, dont be so naive.

If the sun is on top of me, I can show you that in any way you like. His problem is that if he wants to point the lens upward in such a situation, he should use a longer lens hood or block the light. That's all there is to it. That's pretty basic knowledge if you ask me.

J-see

Okay I can duplicate this "light leak" indoors but it's reeeally tricky: The light source has to be REALLY bright, pretty much directly overhead and at JUST the right angle. Moving one step in any direction is enough to kill the "light leak" entirely. Outdoors I just can't make it happen at all.

I didn't have it happen even once during every shot taken with the cam. If there's area light, I use a hood or pick a spot protected from that. With the wide flare and glare is always a problem on sunny days.

J-see

Did you ever hear about the D3300 LIGHT LEAK?

Me neither yet...

009.jpg

010.jpg

Different cam, different lens, different sensor, same issue. It just shows different in this configuration.

rocketman122

for a pro who shoots video,this is a huge problem. not sure how much some here shoot, but when youre shooting 60gb of video footage, im certain it will come into play. especially when youre on the dance floor. let me show you what a dance floor in a "regular venue" looks like
dance floor 4 copy.jpg

this is a huge problem. for most hobbyist it will be fine. for pros using it for videos, not good.

rocketman122

Did you ever hear about the D3300 LIGHT LEAK?

Me neither yet...

Different cam, different lens, different sensor, same issue. It just shows different in this configuration.

yea you now confirmed you dont realize the issue. show me where you see a line like you do in the D750 in those 2 images with the D3300? I see flare in the image, but nothing objectionable.

hows this?

Untitled.jpg

I would say this very objectionable and actually footage that would need to be thrown out. and I would be shooting in this situation VERY often. in fact in almost all his footage, I would be shooting the groom and bride in those situations a lot of the time. add to that the dance floors at wedding venues like the above and maybe you can try and understand the issue at hand. since you didnt even shoot outdoors to check how bad it is in your camera, how do you know it isnt severe? look at this image and tell me it isnt severe...I dare you!

Last edited:

J-see

yea you now confirmed you dont realize the issue. show me where you see a line like you do in the D750 in those 2 images with the D3300? I see flare in the image, but nothing objectionable.

hows this?

View attachment 129256

I would say this very objectionable and actually footage that would need to be thrown out. and I would be shooting in this situation VERY often. in fact in almost all his footage, I would be shooting the groom and bride in those situations a lot of the time. add to that the dance floors at wedding venues like the above and maybe you can try and understand the issue at hand. since you didnt even shoot outdoors to check how bad it is in your camera, how do you know it isnt severe? look at this image and tell me it isnt severe...I dare you!

Come on, you surely must understand that it will be different for any cam-lens combination and that the more sensitive a sensor is, the more pronounced the effect will be. For the D3300 with that lens I need to be at 17mm and a slightly different angle for the light to bounce all the way through, if I change my position below the light, so does my leak.

012.jpg

013.jpg

For the D750 it is top middle which then remains identical regardless what direction he faces.

rocketman122

Come on, you surely must understand that it will be different for any cam-lens combination and that the more sensitive a sensor is, the more pronounced the effect will be. For the D3300 with that lens I need to be at 17mm and a slightly different angle for the light to bounce all the way through, if I change my position below the light, so does my leak.

For the D750 it is top middle which then remains identical regardless what direction he faces.

lets agree to disagree. this is a big problem here. youre shooting ceilings, hes shooting in regular outdoor situations. think of a tourist who would shoot the lovely buildings in those scenes he was shooting. is that really an extreme angle? no. dont know how widespread it is but besides this pros footage, all others are shooting indoors. go outdoors and try it. im sure it will be a clear cut defect.

id be shooting the groom and bride with my steadicam from the waist upwards a few times throughout the shoot, and im certain it will turn out similar to his.

J-see

If this was a serious problem, you'd get wet feet from the flood of tears each time you logged in to the internet.

​ Yet strangely the only ones making leakage videos are those that know very little about physics. In all my outdoor shots; not even ONCE.

11672 shots taken and the ones that had it, I had to make it happen.
+30k shots with the D3300 and the same there, those of today were the first time I see it.

You need to do effort to make it occur and trust me, the guys in those videos are doing all that effort.

Here some more evidence it's bouncing light.

I turned my D3300 upside down to take the same shot.

022_01.jpg

It starts to resemble the D750 more me thinks.

022.jpg

That it is very pronounced in the D750 should be considered a good thing. It shows it's a pretty great sensor.

Last edited:

kevy73

I understand both sides of the argument, but for me, it is a tool and how you choose to use that tool is what is important. I have a couple of D4's, I know that if I pair my D4 with my 24-70 and point it at a couple with a SUPER bright sun back lighting the shot, my camera will hunt focus like crazy.... I mean almost to the point where you just can't shoot like that... Do I jump up and down about it? No. Do I make video's and put them on the web? No? Do I not buy it because of 1 issue? No.

I think knowing you gears limitations is a good thing. As I said, I use my camera's as a tool. Every tool has it's limitations. For me making this a show stopper would say more about my ability to adjust to conditions rather than the camera itself.

J-see

I understand both sides of the argument, but for me, it is a tool and how you choose to use that tool is what is important. I have a couple of D4's, I know that if I pair my D4 with my 24-70 and point it at a couple with a SUPER bright sun back lighting the shot, my camera will hunt focus like crazy.... I mean almost to the point where you just can't shoot like that... Do I jump up and down about it? No. Do I make video's and put them on the web? No? Do I not buy it because of 1 issue? No.

I think knowing you gears limitations is a good thing. As I said, I use my camera's as a tool. Every tool has it's limitations. For me making this a show stopper would say more about my ability to adjust to conditions rather than the camera itself.

What many don't realize is that what shows here to the extreme is affecting our lenses all the time if we don't take measures to avoid it. My 200mm macro came without a hood. It took ages before I finally got the hood delivered. I guess someone had to walk from Japan to here.

While my lens took a good shot before the hood, the moment I put it on, there was a clear difference. My shots had better colors and contrast. Whenever light hits the lens wrong, it affects the image and usually comes at the expense of contrast and colors. That's why lens hoods matter. It's not just plastic to avoid bumping into stuff. It's just too bad most hoods are crappy and not one bit longer than absolutely needed.

J-see

The cherry on top and such.

027.jpg

enlarged:

027.JPG

031-3.jpg

Untitled.jpg

And no, I'm not pointing the lens at the light. She's below and I use my hand to shield the top a bit more to ensure the field of view can't get there. Test it yourself if you don't believe me.

3 times half a moon.

Last edited: