D7100 - D750 conundrum?

salukfan111

But there's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many telephoto's to buy!
Heh.

It fills a not often needed need for the moment. Now to get my hands on something that can get me to 500mm...
Get a TC 16A modified to work on a D7100 and use with with a 300m f/4.5 EDIF. That's 350 bucks and you're in business with a nice long range AF set up. Spend a couple hundred more and substitute the 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/3.5 if you absolutely want to spend a total of more the 700 bucks. I'm looking to do some horse trading this winter to trade up to a 600mm f/4 to use with the AF'ing teleconverter. Once you go prime telephoto, you'll never go back.

mauckcg

Get a TC 16A modified to work on a D7100 and use with with a 300m f/4.5 EDIF. That's 350 bucks and you're in business with a nice long range AF set up. Spend a couple hundred more and substitute the 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/3.5 if you absolutely want to spend a total of more the 700 bucks. I'm looking to do some horse trading this winter to trade up to a 600mm f/4 to use with the AF'ing teleconverter. Once you go prime telephoto, you'll never go back.

I have a fair bit more learning to do with my 200-400 before i decide where I go from here.

salukfan111

I have a fair bit more learning to do with my 200-400 before i decide where I go from here.
I bet one of your camera buddies has these lens and would be happy to loan them to you for a free field trial - I would lend them to you for a month if you were in my neck of the woods - don't sell your camera buddies short. I only brought them up based on your desire to "go long". All of those beautiful Nat Geo pictures you admired in your youth (before LR and Photoshop) were taken with the lens I mentioned. You might just end up selling that zoom to buy some long primes. If you set with the 1.3x extra crop the 180mm f/2.8 all of a sudden becomes an awesome 360mm option too. I'm not anti zoom (I have a 70-300mm VRG, looking for 80-200 and have short and medium zooms) but going long prime is an affordable thing to do.

mauckcg

I bet one of your camera buddies has these lens and would be happy to loan them to you for a free field trial - I would lend them to you for a month if you were in my neck of the woods - don't sell your camera buddies short. I only brought them up based on your desire to "go long". All of those beautiful Nat Geo pictures you admired in your youth (before LR and Photoshop) were taken with the lens I mentioned. You might just end up selling that zoom to buy some long primes. If you set with the 1.3x extra crop the 180mm f/2.8 all of a sudden becomes an awesome 360mm option too. I'm not anti zoom (I have a 70-300mm VRG, looking for 80-200 and have short and medium zooms) but going long prime is an affordable thing to do.

I'm the long lens guy unfortunately. The problem I keep running into is a lot of older lenses don't hold up to the D7100's pixel density/lack of AA filter. More than anything else, I think the 70-200 has spoiled me with its ease of use and excellent optics. The 750 might be a bit more forgiving and allow some older lenses to be used.

I like the flexibility of the zoom, and ease of traveling. There are a ton of options, and it just so happened I stumbled on an excellent condition used 200-400.

salukfan111

I'm the long lens guy unfortunately. The problem I keep running into is a lot of older lenses don't hold up to the D7100's pixel density/lack of AA filter. More than anything else, I think the 70-200 has spoiled me with its ease of use and excellent optics. The 750 might be a bit more forgiving and allow some older lenses to be used.

I like the flexibility of the zoom, and ease of traveling. There are a ton of options, and it just so happened I stumbled on an excellent condition used 200-400.
Are you suggesting that a 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4.5, or 300mm f/2.8 aren't as sharp or have as much "pop" (actual depth) as a zoom and aren't good on a D7100?

mauckcg

Are you suggesting that a 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4.5, or 300mm f/2.8 aren't as sharp or have as much "pop" (actual depth) as a zoom and aren't good on a D7100?

No. In my experience with the D7100 has shown me the sensor needs a very good quality optic to get the best out of it. The only prime I have owned to date is the 35 1.8 dx lens. Stellar lens on the D5200, but not quite as sharp on the D7100.

I've been able to get 30x40 prints from the 70-200 on the D7100. I have yet to get that same level of quality from the 200-400 VR1.

Right now i'm pretty sure the issue is me. Thanks to work I haven't been able to get spend enough time with the lens at a track to figure this beast out.

My preference is towards zooms, less to buy to get the same range and less to lug around a race track or airshow. If the 200-400 works out, great, if not, then there are plenty of other options, including the primes you mentioned. And knowing myself, if I were to rent a 300 2.8 and it lives up to it's reputation, I'd have a reeeeaaaaalllllly hard time not buying a version of it.

salukfan111

No. In my experience with the D7100 has shown me the sensor needs a very good quality optic to get the best out of it. The only prime I have owned to date is the 35 1.8 dx lens. Stellar lens on the D5200, but not quite as sharp on the D7100.

I've been able to get 30x40 prints from the 70-200 on the D7100. I have yet to get that same level of quality from the 200-400 VR1.

Right now i'm pretty sure the issue is me. Thanks to work I haven't been able to get spend enough time with the lens at a track to figure this beast out.

My preference is towards zooms, less to buy to get the same range and less to lug around a race track or airshow. If the 200-400 works out, great, if not, then there are plenty of other options, including the primes you mentioned. And knowing myself, if I were to rent a 300 2.8 and it lives up to it's reputation, I'd have a reeeeaaaaalllllly hard time not buying a version of it.
You should borrow or rent a 180mm f/2.8, it will change your opinion on Primes.

hrstrat57

200-400 VR F4 is a killer lens. All the local guys shooting hoops use it. I go in the pit with my 80-200 and feel unworthy just on the sheer size alone of that thing!

I like old school but that lens is killer, would jump on it in a minute to augment my 80-200 AF D f 2.8 man that would cover it!

Have never seen a good deal on one, good solid get @mauckcg! Your tele zooms are crying for a full frame sensor!

Last edited:

salukfan111

200-400 VR F4 is a killer lens. All the local guys shooting hoops use it. I go in the pit with my 80-200 and feel unworthy just on the sheer size alone of that thing!

I like old school but that lens is killer, would jump on it in a minute to augment my 80-200 AF D f 2.8 man that would cover it!

Have never seen a good deal on one, good solid get @mauckcg! Your tele zooms are crying for a full frame sensor!
I would love to have one as well (along with 200mm f/2) but they are a little pricy. I've seen some pretty awesome moon shoots with that zoom.

mauckcg

A D400 would push me over into a two camera setup. Right now I'm still hemming and hawing.

singlerosa_RIP

@singlerosa You are the Nikonites poster boy for this, once again what a kit you have IMHO as good as it gets on this forum!!!!

Thanks, guitar dude. I'm lucky that I can indulge myself in a couple of hobbies (and use one of them, photography, to make a buck here and there). Dig your D glass. Have the 50, had the 80-200. Great stuff!

Cheers!