D7100 - D750 conundrum?

Elliot87

Pixel density is the most important part of the photo, being that the same lenses are used. The extra pixels in the D810 will not even be used if the photo is cropped, thus the density in the center than will always be there is most important.

Ok, here's a scenario for you. I'm in a shady wood and have managed to get close to lets says a deer that is quietly grazing. I need a 1/200s shutter speed minimum for a sharp shot. With the light available and tamzooka at f/6.3 that requires ISO set at 3200. Now the deer is close, with D7100 I can fill the frame at 300mm, with D750 I can get the same shot at 450mm. Both pictures the deer is made up from the same number of pixels.
Now tell me which image will be better? The D750 because it will give a cleaner image at that ISO. I might even be able to up the ISO a little more and stop the lens down to where it is sharper.
Don't get me wrong, if you can't get close enough with the D750 and the light is good enough to shoot at lower ISO's then the D7100 would have the advantage. Point is you are being too simplistic and ignoring a multitude of factors which make either one superior than the other in a given situation.

Dragonfly

Banned
Ok, here's a scenario for you. I'm in a shady wood and have managed to get close to lets says a deer that is quietly grazing. I need a 1/200s shutter speed minimum for a sharp shot. With the light available and tamzooka at f/6.3 that requires ISO set at 3200. Now the deer is close, with D7100 I can fill the frame at 300mm, with D750 I can get the same shot at 450mm. Both pictures the deer is made up from the same number of pixels.
Now tell me which image will be better? The D750 because it will give a cleaner image at that ISO. I might even be able to up the ISO a little more and stop the lens down to where it is sharper.
Don't get me wrong, if you can't get close enough with the D750 and the light is good enough to shoot at lower ISO's then the D7100 would have the advantage. Point is you are being too simplistic and ignoring a multitude of factors which make either one superior than the other in a given situation.

If I were in a shady wood, I would be using my Nikon 80-200mm2.8D, which bumps up to a 300mm on the D7100. No need to even bring any 6.3 to that condition. Believing that a camera can make a cheap lens great is a pipe dream

Elliot87

If I were in a shady wood, I would be using my Nikon 80-200mm2.8D, which bumps up to a 300mm on the D7100. No need to even bring any 6.3 to that condition. Believing that a camera can make a cheap lens great is a pipe dream

It's called using what you have. The OP is talking about which body to utilise his 150-600mm with. In most cases D7100 for wildlife but no matter what lens you put on it, it won't perform as well in low light as a D750. Believing that a lens can make a D7100 a great low light camera is a pipe dream.

In any case 80-200mm isn't enough, even on a crop sensor for most wildlife photography. Unless you are a professional making money from your work or have more money to throw at a hobby than most have, anything in the region of 300mm upwards and f/2.8 is going to be out of budget. At best I can afford a 300mm f/4 (probably with 1.4XTC so f/5.6), the 200-500 f/5.6 or one of the 150-600mm, none of which are ideal for low light. A body that performs better in low light won't change that but it can certainly help.
Will you admit, or do you even realise that, which camera is better depends entirely upon what you intend to use it for? Hell my basic GoPro Hero with 5mp images is a better camera if I want to take photos whilst I'm canyoning or something like that.

Horoscope Fish

Guess I'm glad I have a 750 and a 7200, but I can tell you I prefer the 750 unless I need reach.
Could. Not. Agree. More. Except I have a D750 and a D7100...

Also... Wow but there is some serious misinformation in this thread but I too am keeping out of it. I promised myself I was turning over a new leaf. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Dragonfly

Banned
It's called using what you have. The OP is talking about which body to utilise his 150-600mm with. In most cases D7100 for wildlife but no matter what lens you put on it, it won't perform as well in low light as a D750. Believing that a lens can make a D7100 a great low light camera is a pipe dream.

In any case 80-200mm isn't enough, even on a crop sensor for most wildlife photography. Unless you are a professional making money from your work or have more money to throw at a hobby than most have, anything in the region of 300mm upwards and f/2.8 is going to be out of budget. At best I can afford a 300mm f/4 (probably with 1.4XTC so f/5.6), the 200-500 f/5.6 or one of the 150-600mm, none of which are ideal for low light. A body that performs better in low light won't change that but it can certainly help.
Will you admit, or do you even realise that, which camera is better depends entirely upon what you intend to use it for? Hell my basic GoPro Hero with 5mp images is a better camera if I want to take photos whilst I'm canyoning or something like that.
Actually the OP, has not ordered the 750 yet, so he can still make a change to his plans. In my opinion anyone buying a Nikon camera has just two choices, the 7100 or the 810, the only third choice is the 7200 that boast WIFI, which is good for nothing times 100.

mikew_RIP

Why? Just personal "feel" or does it perform better and if so, in what circumstances, light, scenarios etc?

I just sold my D750 as you know,its not the best camera for wildlife unless you can get close,its the better camera for noise control and the sensor produces lovely results if you can utilize the full frame.It comes back to the old advice DX for birding and possibly sport but FX stands a good chance of being best for other things.

canuck257

I just sold my D750 as you know,its not the best camera for wildlife unless you can get close,its the better camera for noise control and the sensor produces lovely results if you can utilize the full frame.It comes back to the old advice DX for birding and possibly sport but FX stands a good chance of being best for other things.

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you would chip in since you seem to be interested in much the same subjects photographically as me. It was your switch to the D7200 as well as what has been said in this post that made me revisit my choices.:encouragement:

I have been VERY happy with the D7100 and thought to leave it permanently connected to the Tamzooka for wildlife using another body for all other subjects and lenses. I am now of the opinion having done some further research that the D7200 will fill the Tamzooka role better leaving the D7100 for general photography. I don't believe the D750, great camera that it is, will provide anything extra to the D7200 that I personally need at this stage in my photography plans. Going the D7200 route will also leave a chunk of change towards another lens; I can pick up a D7200 for less than $1200 Canadian saving nearly $1000 over the D750, that will go a long way towards the new Nikon 200-500:cheerful:--------maybe?:confused:

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you would chip in since you seem to be interested in much the same subjects photographically as me. It was your switch to the D7200 as well as what has been said in this post that made me revisit my choices.:encouragement:

I have been VERY happy with the D7100 and thought to leave it permanently connected to the Tamzooka for wildlife using another body for all other subjects and lenses. I am now of the opinion having done some further research that the D7200 will fill the Tamzooka role better leaving the D7100 for general photography. I don't believe the D750, great camera that it is, will provide anything extra to the D5200 that I personally need at this stage in my photography plans. Going the D7200 route will also leave a chunk of change towards another lens; I can pick up a D7200 for less than $1200 Canadian saving nearly $1000 over the D750, that will go a long way towards the new Nikon 200-500:cheerful:--------maybe?:confused:

Yes its never easy all these choices,as you know and i keep repeating i only bought the D750 because i thought i was finished with birding,up to that point i had said and will still say unless you are particularly fortunate with your wildlife areas and subjects the DX every time.
If i had still been working and not retired the D750 would have been kept but its a luxury i cant justify for occasional use,if i can get out of the Sigma 150-600 what i want then i may replace my 10 year old Sigma macro (i would like OS) if not then the Nikon 200-500 is on my list.

mikew_RIP

One thing thats not been mentioned is shutter noise,its my feeling it was fairly loud on the 750 compared with the D7xxx range,this can have a benefit in the odd two or three shot situation as it perks the bird up a bit but sometimes its the last thing you want.

Dragonfly

Banned

I have been VERY happy with the D7100 and thought to leave it permanently connected to the Tamzooka for wildlife using another body for all other subjects and lenses. I am now of the opinion having done some further research that the D7200 will fill the Tamzooka role better leaving the D7100 for general photography. I don't believe the D750, great camera that it is, will provide anything extra to the D7200 that I personally need at this stage in my photography plans. Going the D7200 route will also leave a chunk of change towards another lens; I can pick up a D7200 for less than $1200 Canadian saving nearly $1000 over the D750, that will go a long way towards the new Nikon 200-500:cheerful:--------maybe?:confused:

better yet get a 7100 for under 800 dollars, it's on sale from Nikon, unless you need the extra 0.1mp which is also at the edges and meaningless. IF you compare the specs of the 7100 and 7200 you can see if you will really ever use the differences that are in my opinion small and insignificant. DSLR and HDSLR Cameras | Compare Digital Cameras | Nikon#

and again this review is shocking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM__yBZYTbM Good shooting

mikew_RIP

I dont think any of this is arrived at by you knowledge,you keep quoting the same old tripe and linking to things that back you up,the D7100 is a great camera but its been superseded,the d7200 will beat hands down on AF in poor light,i dont need to link to anything as i own one and took it out in the fog this morning,this is called practical knowledge.
Give it a rest the D7100 can manage with out your continual repeat posts.

Elliot87

better yet get a 7100 for under 800 dollars, it's on sale from Nikon, unless you need the extra 0.1mp which is also at the edges and meaningless. IF you compare the specs of the 7100 and 7200 you can see if you will really ever use the differences that are in my opinion small and insignificant. DSLR and HDSLR Cameras | Compare Digital Cameras | Nikon#

and again this review is shocking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM__yBZYTbM Good shooting

Quit with the Angry Photographer parroting. Don't get me wrong, I think the D7100 is a fantastic camera, great value for money and that is why I bought one after the D7200 came out. That doesn't change the fact that the D7200 is better in many ways, so if it's within budget and you want the benefit of a bigger buffer and better low light focusing then it is the better choice.
I'm done with this discussion anyway as it clearly isn't going anywhere.
Congratulations Mike on the new D7200 and good luck with your next purchase canuck257!

mikew_RIP

Quit with the Angry Photographer parroting. Don't get me wrong, I think the D7100 is a fantastic camera, great value for money and that is why I bought one after the D7200 came out. That doesn't change the fact that the D7200 is better in many ways, so if it's within budget and you want the benefit of a bigger buffer and better low light focusing then it is the better choice.
I'm done with this discussion anyway as it clearly isn't going anywhere.
Congratulations Mike on the new D7200 and good luck with your next purchase canuck257!

Thanks took it out in the fog today,i would leave this thread but it concerns me someone may read it that knows less than he does and take notice of his opinions