D7100 - D750 conundrum?

Elliot87

It does not matter what camera one has at dusk or low light, if they are using a Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3, as this is no a low light lens.

Of course it isn't a low light lens but there comes a point when you can get the shot at f6.3 ISO 6400. I've tried that with my D7100 photographing badgers and it's pushing it too far and IQ is really degraded. If I'd have had a D750 my results would have been better, reach wasn't an issue as the badger came very close, the images were just extremely noisy. Sure a f2.8 lens would have been better still but we've got to make the most of what we've got.

mikew_RIP

Of course it isn't a low light lens but there comes a point when you can get the shot at f6.3 ISO 6400. I've tried that with my D7100 photographing badgers and it's pushing it too far and IQ is really degraded. If I'd have had a D750 my results would have been better, reach wasn't an issue as the badger came very close, the images were just extremely noisy. Sure a f2.8 lens would have been better still but we've got to make the most of what we've got.

Absolutely

ISO 12800 on the D750,yes no prize winner but.

DSC_4845.jpg

singlerosa_RIP

I agree with everyone else on keeping the 7100 for birding. I got the 200-500 in September and shot it on my 750 and 7000. A crop on the 750 had better IQ than non crop on the 7000 so I bought a 7200 to replace the D7K. Kinda like an expensive 1.5 teleconverter for all my lenses, plus no anti-aliasing filter.

canuck257

Your mention of an anti-aliasing filter prompts another question. The D750 has the filter I believe, is that a good thing or a bad thing? What precisely does this filter do or not do?

mikew_RIP

I think its supposed to reduce the chances of the moire ? effect,some one on here has had it removed from the 750 and says it gives sharper images now.

Dragonfly

Banned
The 7100 is on sale from Nikon for $799 right now, and it is a better camera than the 750. If you think that a filter in the camera is going to turn a 150-600mm cheap full sunlight only lens into a better lens, it just aint gonna happen. Get a second 7100, a it really does have higher pixel density than even the D810 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM__yBZYTbM The review is spot on

mikew_RIP

The 7100 is on sale from Nikon for $799 right now, and it is a better camera than the 750. If you think that a filter in the camera is going to turn a 150-600mm cheap full sunlight only lens into a better lens, it just aint gonna happen. Get a second 7100, a it really does have higher pixel density than even the D810 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM__yBZYTbM The review is spot on

It is not a better camera it is different

Dragonfly

Banned
Pixel density is the most important part of the photo, being that the same lenses are used. The extra pixels in the D810 will not even be used if the photo is cropped, thus the density in the center than will always be there is most important.

mikew_RIP

Pixel density is the most important part of the photo, being that the same lenses are used. The extra pixels in the D810 will not even be used if the photo is cropped, thus the density in the center than will always be there is most important.

You are wrong,but ime bowing out now before i lose my rag and get banned,you choose a camera to suit your picture taking,your not taking into account or dont understand the other factors.

Dragonfly

Banned
Now if I were choosing a new camera, the only choice is the D810, for me at least. That said I post crop to some degree nearly all of my photos, thus the full frame camera offers me little in picture quality, as the extra MP in the 810 are on the edges that often get cropped, and as said the 7100's sensor has more pixels per millimeter than the D810 anyway. It's true, and not everyone knows this. I shoot wildlife typically, for a portrait photographer that has time to move a certain distance for his subject, it's a different story.

Bill16

Horoscope Fish had the filter removed from his D750 and found he likes the results! Very knowledgeable guy HF, and a great one to talk to about this! :)

Dragonfly

Banned
But the 750 is double the cost of the D7100, and removing the filter from the 750 just makes it more like the less expensive 7100 anyway, is this right?

Bill16

Let me put it another way, since I'm not the best at explaining the differences between the models!:)
I would say the D750 is a better camera for it's designed purpose than the D7100 is for it's designed purpose! I own the D7100 and I would rather give it away for free, than to sell my D800E! Lol :) The D7100 is a great camera, but it is only different than the FX models, not better! For a landscape or as mentioned a portrait photographer, the FX wins hands down! But for subjects that require reach, the DX comes into it's own, shining bright for it's affordability for this purpose!
But a FX can do very well too at reach, but costs much more for lenses long enough to compare with DX reach! But when even in reach, due to compensating lens, the FX will out shine the DX due to the abilities of the larger sensor!:)

This is just my opinion, but I firmly believe it is right! But regardless, people should buy whatever version makes them happy, no matter what the reasons! Lol :D

But the 750 is double the cost of the D7100, and removing the filter from the 750 just makes it more like the less expensive 7100 anyway, is this right?