D500 Poll

Purchase Nikon D500

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leif

Since I don't shoot sports, I don't need the higher frame rate and buffer of the D500, nor do I feel I need the better autofocus (nothing bad about D7200 autofocus for non-sports). High ISO performance over my D7200 is little to no gain. D7200 is superior to D500 for resolution and color accuracy and has a builtin flash for quick and easy fill flash. For twice the money I will keep my D7200, thank you.

The test shots on dpreview suggest no worthwhile difference in resolution between the D500 and D7200, it's only 24 MP versus 21 MP. Yes the D7200 probably is the best choice for most people. It's fantastic value for what it provides.

I picked up a D500, I wanted the electronic shutter, and liked the idea of adjusting the aperture in live view, and the fold out LCD panel (I often use my camera on a microscope, and I'm tired of standing on a stool to adjust the camera), but I also find the eyepiece shutter and diopter lock very useful, the shape fits my hands better than the D600, which I find uncomfortable, and the control layout without Noddy modes is much much quicker to use, apart from flash exposure compensation which is easier on the D600 and D7200. In many respects the D500 is poor value unless you really need the incredible FPS, image buffer and AF.