D500 Poll

Purchase Nikon D500

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wtlwdwgn

I'll wait until I can hold one in my hands. Most Nikons have a terrible grip and my hand cramps after a short while. If it has a grip similar to the D750 it will probably be okay. DX is most useful format for my wildlife shooting. I'd have to sell my car and house to be able to afford to get the body and a long lens though. :rolleyes:

Ironwood

It's still a crop camera, so I doubt the low light capability will be very noticable vs a D7100. Anything of substance can be fixed in LR.

I don't get it with this camera. $2000 for a niche crop camera, one with less resolution than the others in Nikon's lienup. Yeah, the fps is nice but how often is that necessary? No thanks.

Well, I'll just wait and see how much better it is than the D7100 in low light. Everything points to the D500 being better, 20mp vs 24mp is one of the factors that will make it a better lowlight camera.

If you consider the improvements aren't worth worrying about for the type of photography you do, thats fine.
But for someone else, 1 or 2 stops better lowlight, and a 70 shot buffer vs 7 shot buffer, this could really be the best thing since sliced bread :).

Chris E

Well, I'll just wait and see how much better it is than the D7100 in low light. Everything points to the D500 being better, 20mp vs 24mp is one of the factors that will make it a better lowlight camera.

If you consider the improvements aren't worth worrying about for the type of photography you do, thats fine.
But for someone else, 1 or 2 stops better lowlight, and a 70 shot buffer vs 7 shot buffer, this could really be the best thing since sliced bread :).

And you're dreaming. 1-2 stops better than a 7100 would put the D500 equal to almost a stop better than FF. I posted above the benefit of a 33% reduction in MP comparing the 810 to the 750. Going from 24 to 20 won't do it. No way it will be 1-2 stops better than a 7100 which would make it be equal to or better than FF. It's impossible; if somebody has developed a crop sensor that performs like the best FF sensors ever developed across all manufacturers, then I will eat my words. I'm not sweating it.

I get the excitement, but let's be realistic. We will see what the tests say. :D

Last edited:

Krs_2007

The poll doesn't show through tapatalk, but it is intriguing to me. Still not decided and the next body, 750 or 500. For me and sports the higher frame rate is something to peak my interest but I really want better ISO performance for low light football fields so it's a toss up at this point till I see true results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lyn

Maybe, depends on:

If fine tuning is also for third party lenses (the Nikon 200-500 is too heavy)
If there are no bugs
See what the price is in OZ

Daz

Nope for me I am looking at adding a Mirrorless camera into my setup alongside a DSLR, dont need two DSLR's they are just too heavy !!

Now if they come out with something revolutionary like the D500 being a mirrorless camera, I MAY have looked at buying it ...

D200freak

I don't see myself being in the market for another DX format camera. My experiences with my D800 have made me a full frame disciple.

TedG954

The D500 appears to be a wonderful camera. For someone that needs the features offered by the D500, it is definately the camera to buy.

For me, not so much.

The D7200 is more camera than 90% of the population could ever want (and more than I could ever need). And, buying the D7200 over the D500 leaves plenty of cash for a quality lens.

For the price of the D500, you can buy a D800E and a nice tripod. (I won't even mention the potential of other brands.)

The D500 has a purpose, and plenty of people will buy it. For most of us, the D500 won't improve our photographic creations, and I'll bet a lot of buyers will never take it off AUTO.

But.......... there's always a but........ If you can afford it, and you really want to be able to say that you have the best Nikon DX camera ever made........ then you should buy it. And I hope you enjoy it.

Daz

The D500 appears to be a wonderful camera. For someone that needs the features offered by the D500, it is definately the camera to buy.

For me, not so much.

For the price of the D500, you can buy a D800E and a nice tripod. (I won't even mention the potential of other brands.)

I Will !! An A6000 ... Just as much camera (if not more) than the D500 will be and you can buy 4 of them for the same price as a D500 meaning people have a lot more wiggle room for Glass over buying a Nikon.

I love my D600 I cant see me parting with it, but when you are seeing major advancements being made by other Brands, it kind of sucks that Nikon are so determined to stay in the dark ages ...

Ironwood

I went into the local camera store today to quiz them about the D500, they have pre-ordered a few but couldn't ( or wouldn't ) give me a price, though he did say he didn't think it would be much more than the D750, or much more than the Canon 7D ( ? ). They didn't seem to know any more about the camera than I have already learned from reading the stuff online.

I checked another reputable Australian camera stores website for prices, They have the D500 listed at AU$2999, I have added a link to their webpage with the Nikon body prices. I can buy a D750 + D7200 for $50 more ( after cashback on the D7200 ), or 3 x D7200's for $150 more, or 2 x D610's and have some change leftover.
Certainly puts a different perspective on it.

Their prices are in Australian Dollars.
https://www.teds.com.au/digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d

Last edited:

Roy1961

Contributor
Certainly seems a bit steep comparing bodies only, D750 and D500 bodies are quoted to be the same price here $1999 US.

Certainly seems a bit steep comparing bodies only, D750 and D500 bodies are quoted to be the same price here $1999 US.

That is pretty much my thinking. Not sure a DX would sell very well at that price no matter how great it is. I would much rather have the D750 at the same price. But that is just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy1961

Contributor
Thought and still thinking long and hard on this, the extra teach is huge for me / birding, Is it $800 better than the D7200? Decisions. .......

mauckcg

For me, not so much.

The D7200 is more camera than 90% of the population could ever want (and more than I could ever need). And, buying the D7200 over the D500 leaves plenty of cash for a quality lens.

The D500 has a purpose, and plenty of people will buy it. For most of us, the D500 won't improve our photographic creations, and I'll bet a lot of buyers will never take it off AUTO.

But.......... there's always a but........ If you can afford it, and you really want to be able to say that you have the best Nikon DX camera ever made........ then you should buy it. And I hope you enjoy it.

I'll take that bet. You will get those people who only want the best for bragging rights, the vast majority will be people who have been waiting for a D300 replacement and those that realize that this type of camera would be perfect for what they do.

TedG954

I'll take that bet. You will get those people who only want the best for bragging rights, the vast majority will be people who have been waiting for a D300 replacement and those that realize that this type of camera would be perfect for what they do.

Like I said, if you want it, buy it and enjoy it.

Did you read the part that said "For someone that needs the features offered by the D500, it is definately the camera to buy."