D500 Poll

Purchase Nikon D500

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ironwood

I voted 'maybe'.
I will sit on the fence for now, but if it delivers what is promised, and I have the cash to spare later in the year, I can see myself buying one.
I am happy with my D7100 in almost every aspect, but it lets me down in low light, and the buffer sometimes reminds me of its limitations.
I have been looking at 2nd hand FX prices lately, but if the D500 has the low light performance I am hoping for, I think I will go that route.
My main interests are macro insects, and wildlife with the Tamron 150-600, so I am happy to stay with a DX body if it can deliver ( as long as the price is right ).
It also has to play with 3rd party lenses :).

hrstrat57

I shoot mostly action - surfing and college basketball.

As spec'd out this camera is my dream boat.

- crop camera for long reach eliminating need for addl bits of long glass!

- clean output at ISO 3200

- 10 FPS !

- 20 shot raw burst capable !

Saving now some sell off of current gear likely, I will rent first to determine it does all that is claimed. Being that I will have to buy the VG and at least 1 extra battery this will be close to a $3k commitment.

Assume my SB600 and SB28 will fire on the D500 hotshoe?

for me this is the most exciting camera news ever!

BackdoorArts

Suffice it to say if I'm still firmly with Nikon in June then yes, I will have one. I can tell you this, whether or not Canon answers this camera in short order will play a major role in the decision.

(If you're following my Canon/Nikon story then you have the backstory, if you aren't and want it then go find it.)

BackdoorArts

I shoot mostly action - surfing and college basketball.

As spec'd out this camera is my dream boat.

- crop camera for long reach eliminating need for addl bits of long glass!

- clean output at ISO 3200

- 10 FPS !

- 20 shot raw burst capable !

Saving now some sell off of current gear likely, I will rent first to determine it does all that is claimed. Being that I will have to buy the VG and at least 1 extra battery this will be close to a $3k commitment.

Assume my SB600 and SB28 will fire on the D500 hotshoe?

for me this is the most exciting camera news ever!

20 shots? This will do 71!! You don't even have to pray when you spray any more. What I love, though this doesn't help you coming from the D700/D300, is that Nikon is not issuing a new battery for every new body they put out. The EN-EL15 works in every body I have (D7000, D7100, D610, D750, D800) and will continue to work in the D500. Why the hell can't Apple maintain that kind of compatibility?!?!

hrstrat57

20 shots? This will do 71!! You don't even have to pray when you spray any more. What I love, though this doesn't help you coming from the D700/D300, is that Nikon is not issuing a new battery for every new body they put out. The EN-EL15 works in every body I have (D7000, D7100, D610, D750, D800) and will continue to work in the D500. Why the hell can't Apple maintain that kind of compatibility?!?!

Yep my math was bad there....

re the EN-EL15 it's nice that I can stock up on used batteries easily via eBay!

I rarely miss a shot with my current gear with this thing it will be 100% operator error if a shot is missed. My 80-200 AF f2.8 will sing even more sweetly on this fantastic camera!!!

Time to clear out the rest of my Sony /minolta /M42 extensive collection forget the A99 II and get this new beast in my bag ASAP!!!

hrstrat57

Btw my local craigslist is already showing multiple D7200 at bargain basement price...... I'd be sick if I had not resisted the urge to buy that one !!!

It appears that trusting all the rumours re this release vs listening to all the jokesters will pay off!!!!

Also know 2 pros shooting EOS that are alreading thinking of testing the D5/D500 combo with thoughts of jumping ship!!

Needa

Challenge Team
What I love, though this doesn't help you coming from the D700/D300, is that Nikon is not issuing a new battery for every new body they put out. The EN-EL15 works in every body I have (D7000, D7100, D610, D750, D800) and will continue to work in the D500. Why the hell can't Apple maintain that kind of compatibility?!?!

That is a great feature, keeping the same battery, I simplifies things. Yes, it certainly would be nice if more companies did the same.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The specs on this body are incredible, but since I prefer FX, I won't be getting one. My D7100 will do fine for my DX needs.

Chris E

I voted 'maybe'.
I will sit on the fence for now, but if it delivers what is promised, and I have the cash to spare later in the year, I can see myself buying one.
I am happy with my D7100 in almost every aspect, but it lets me down in low light, and the buffer sometimes reminds me of its limitations.
I have been looking at 2nd hand FX prices lately, but if the D500 has the low light performance I am hoping for, I think I will go that route.
My main interests are macro insects, and wildlife with the Tamron 150-600, so I am happy to stay with a DX body if it can deliver ( as long as the price is right ).
It also has to play with 3rd party lenses :).

It's still a crop camera, so I doubt the low light capability will be very noticable vs a D7100. Anything of substance can be fixed in LR.

I don't get it with this camera. $2000 for a niche crop camera, one with less resolution than the others in Nikon's lienup. Yeah, the fps is nice but how often is that necessary? No thanks.

§am

D750 was my body of choice for this year, but now some small doubts have been brought into the equation with this release.

Do I want all singing all dancing shiny new DX format top of the range D500, or do I continue my move to FX and keep my existing DX for back up until such a time I ever need a D500 (or whatever its called then).

D750 is still 80% probability at this stage though.... but darn you Nikon for dropping it to that from 99.99%

mikew_RIP

It's still a crop camera, so I doubt the low light capability will be very noticable vs a D7100. Anything of substance can be fixed in LR.

I don't get it with this camera. $2000 for a niche crop camera, one with less resolution than the others in Nikon's lienup. Yeah, the fps is nice but how often is that necessary? No thanks.

I think you are way wrong :D i have had the D7100 now got the 7200 and it is way ahead,i expect the D500 to be ahead of the D7200 so it will out shine the D7100,its far from a niche camera there are a lot of bird and sport photographers will want one apart from the general photographers who get one just because they can afford the best.
There is a lot of rubbish talked about FX being the ultimate goal and an upgrade from DX,it is for some shooters but not all,the less resolution as you put it is one of the things that will make it a good camera,so long as nikon have tamed the noise to the degree they claim.
Every upgraded DX sees improvement in AF this one is a leap,it has 37 focus points that can work at F6,3 cant remember what mine has but its only 2 or 3,25 of these points are the cross sensor type which are more likley to lock focus,yes focusing at f6.3 is important to the majority of sport,wildlife and general photographers that cant afford long fast glass.

Chris E

Look at the numbers on DXO Mark. The difference in low light performance between the D7100 and D7200 is ISO 77. If you are seeing alot of difference in low light performance with the 7200 then your D7100 was messed up. I doubt very seriously anybody could tell the difference in 77 with the naked eye.

As for less resolution means less noise, compare the D810 vs the D750. Negligible low light performance differences. That is comparing 36mp vs 24, which per the logic tossed about in these threads means the 750 should spank the 810 but it is negligible. Both are well over one stop better than the D7200 or any crop camera. I doubt the D500 will get within a stop of any Nikon FF camera in low light performance.

pforsell

No D500 for me, I gave up on DX in 2007. What I will get is D5S in two years (likely), if Nikon's release schedule stays the same as before.

Furthermore I think D500 is bad move for Nikon. The market it competes is too small to bring any revenue. The Canon 7D II had 2.3 % market share last year, so that is what Nikon will go after. If it can get half of that, big hurrah. But that will not recoup the R & D cost, so the D500 actually loses money for Nikon. As if Nikon didn't have enough financial difficulties before this white elephant.

Bad move. There are a few bird shooters who will be happy, but those folks do not command the kind of buying power that's required to bring in the lost millions. I just hope that Nikon won't choke on this awful decision. :(

Time will tell, but I think this is the blunder of the decade.