D500 Poll

Purchase Nikon D500

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mauckcg

Like I said, if you want it, buy it and enjoy it.

Did you read the part that said "For someone that needs the features offered by the D500, it is definately the camera to buy."

There is no doubt this will be hugely popular. I just don't see it being as popular with the bragging rights crowd as say a D810 or D4/s and D5. I can't wait to get a hold of one.

NVSteve

...a lot more wiggle room for Glass...

Ah, but that's the real kicker. Exactly why I dumped my Sony after 6 months of ownership. Maybe they'll finally release some good glass when the A6000 successor is released.

I'd love to have the D500, but it would only really give me a bigger buffer and a bit more reach. I'll stick with the D750 and cropping when I need the reach. The buffer is plenty fast enough for what I shoot. Stab me in the foot, but I'm far more curious to see the Pentax FF.

Daz

Ah, but that's the real kicker. Exactly why I dumped my Sony after 6 months of ownership. Maybe they'll finally release some good glass when the A6000 successor is released.

While I agree that glass is an issue at the moment (Of propriety Sony glass) that is still not stopping you whacking Canon glass on and it being just as good :)

cbay

Wish i could say i'm running into limitations with the 7200 and needed the D500! 7200 is more camera than i can use in many ways. Full frame for landscapes would win out if the money was there.

mikew_RIP

The more i read about it and the more i think about it the less likley i am to buy it,the improved focusing over the D7200 would i think be limited by my lens and i cant afford or carry a fast prime,the higher ISO would mean i could take pictures in even poorer light and be even less satisfied with the results and thats the only two areas that i have considered a jump up from the D7200 for me.
Any way i may have the chance in a couple of months to add a D610 to my list at a stupidly cheap price,£600 with a couple of hundred clicks on it,gray import with 2 1/2 years warranty left on it,wouldn't mind having that much invested in a second body.

Bill16

I really loved my D300 and so I find this D500 very interesting! But as a buddy pointed out, my needs are filled by myD800E very well, and not shooting much wildlife leaves me with very little use for the D500! Lol :)
Now if I were to buy a newer tech DX for wildlife, the D500 would be my choice if it lives up to the specs, when the bugs are worked out, and if people find that it feels good in the hands like my D800E (for an example)!

But D500 is not on my want/need list, and I would really like to have a D810 to go with my D800E much more anyway if I were to buy another body! Lol :D

Bukitimah

Is this a FX camera? It is above D600/D610 but below D750? Why did they have another model so close to the D600 and D750. Isn't it too crowded here?

Theraphosa

I got to play with one at the Nikon launch party my local dealer sponsored. It's pretty amazing, both in speed and ISO performance. The buffer has to be seen to be believed. Twenty full seconds of 10fps is really impressive. It sold me.

I'd already planned to upgrade from my D5200, it just doesn't have an adequate ISO performance for my needs (wildlife and bird photography). ...and I want to stay with DX if I can.
In the hands on, I didn't have much opportunity to use all the new focus points, but it promises to be another improvement over the D5200. They also had Nikon's other camera bodies on the table, for hands on comparisons. For the price, the buffer on the D750 feels worse than my D5200, and the D610 seems like a step backwards in technology.

Regardless of which way I go, it's a very expensive upgrade, so I just figured I might as well go with the newest DX model. I want the buffer, the ISO and even the Snapbridge is pretty cool. I'm hoping that Nikon's performance with recalls will improve, but regardless, ...I have to admit, that in the long run, I really, really want this camera. Because this is a hobby, and it's not all about logic....

Emotions count too.

D200freak

The D500 makes me look forward to the upcoming successor to the D810 even more.

Sorry, I'm just NOT interested in getting another DX format camera no matter what bells and whistles and performance it has. I've got too much money tied up in FX lenses to spend money on a camera that can't use those lenses to their full potential.

If I'd never made the FX leap, then I'd be in line for a D500. It's sure to be a great camera, but I'll wait for the D810's successor before I buy another camera.

Elliot87

I've got too much money tied up in FX lenses to spend money on a camera that can't use those lenses to their full potential.

I've heard this said before but I don't really understand/agree with it. The only way this makes sense to me is if you are talking about wide angle FX lenses on a DX body, whereby they cease to be wide angle. However I don't see how IQ would be degraded using an FX lens on a DX body, generally it would be using the best part of the glass and losing the corners which is generally where sharpness falls away and vignetting occur. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm barking up the wrong tree though.

As for the poll I'm a no, although I can see myself buying a D500 in a couple of years but it's just as likely that I will end up buying a D7300/D7400 when they presumably come out, depending on what specs they offer in relation to the D500.
As I shoot mostly wildlife DX suits my needs and all I would really want from my next body is a step up in high ISO performance on the D7200 and ideally improved buffer, frame rate and AF.

Vincent

My maybe changed into a yes.

The first idea was to complement my current set of cameras with a D5. Looking into the budget, I was looking at current (mid 2016) D4S prices second hand.
Then I tried to lower the budget and came to a D4, D500 and then D5 (selling the D4) purchase. Giving the D5 more time to become old before I purchase it.

Now looking at discussions on the crop factor versus ISO preformance, I might have had it wrong. ISO might be less important to complement my current set up then crop factor with very good AF.
The point does remain that the D5 has a different shutter mechanism and that the blackout time is a selling argument for the high end bodies.

The D4 is a heck of a camera, but the AF of the D500, together with the crop and good ISO performance, probably would help me more in the difficult situations I'm trying to improve on then the superior D4 ISO preformance. The D4 is out of the picture.

I have set a D500 purchase price in my head, now I have to see when I can get the camera at that price (currently 200 EUR too high at the cheapest point). Normally I should wait till 2018 on my photography budget, but I can transfer from the building budget (only due in 2019).

My future set-up would then be:

Main camera: D500
Low light: Sony A7S (manual or limited to a 300mm zoom lens), to be complemented later with a D5 (both due to difference in weight and lenses I can use)
Secondary camera: D7000 (no intention in changing this till the D5 arrives)

Allways with me camera: D70S (no intention in changing this till the D5 arrives)

Bikerbrent

Since I don't shoot sports, I don't need the higher frame rate and buffer of the D500, nor do I feel I need the better autofocus (nothing bad about D7200 autofocus for non-sports). High ISO performance over my D7200 is little to no gain. D7200 is superior to D500 for resolution and color accuracy and has a builtin flash for quick and easy fill flash. For twice the money I will keep my D7200, thank you.