CWGRIZZ Playing Around--Trying to learn

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
The weekly challenge of Metal gave me some ideas, but not all worked out as planned. Here are a few of the "Out Takes" from that challenge.

cut-steel_outtake_DSC_2890.jpg

Fire Axe -- Not quite the exposure I was looking for. Using the 10 Sec Shutter Delay and playing with exposure. This was the first shot.

steel-trap_outtake-DSC_2886.jpg

Steel Trap -- Looking into the jaws of a set trap

steel-trap_outtake-DSC_2887.jpg

Steel Trap -- Set Latch, ready for action.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Yesterday, on my daily walk, a very small bit of color caught my eye. It was some very small feathers laying in the sand that probably came from an unlucky Meadowlark. Their brilliance in the drab desert just popped out. I had to try to capture the delicate brightness.

yellow-feather-cr_D71_151228_DSC0348 (2).jpg

yellow-feather-cr_D71_151228_DSC0349 (2).jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I have been honored by having a photo selected for Photo of the Day in Capture My Arizona. I am honored and yet humbled because of all of the outstanding photos on the CMA site. :cheerful:

It can be seen HERE

Screen shot of the picture on the site:
cma potd.jpg

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I have been honored by having a photo selected for Photo of the Day in Capture My Arizona. I am honored and yet humbled because of all of the outstanding photos on the CMA site. :cheerful:

It can be seen HERE
Congrats, buddy! That's definitely a shot to be proud of.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
This Dove in flight shot had a lot of noise. (I don't really know why.) Anyway with access to NIK tools now, I thought I would see what it would do using Define.
The final result.
3-28-16__D7K2600.jpg

Blacktop

This Dove in flight shot had a lot of noise. (I don't really know why.) Anyway with access to NIK tools now, I thought I would see what it would do using Define.
The final result.
View attachment 204821

You don't need to shoot BIF with f/14. It's rare that I shoot landscape with that narrow of an aperture let alone BIF.

ISO 500 is good on the D7100 so the only thing that I can think of is that you cropped the heck out of that bird.

My suggestion would be to try shooting at f/5.6 or just a little narrower . Your shutter speed is good as well.
There is nothing you can do about your 300mm focal length in short of buying a longer lens.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
You don't need to shoot BIF with f/14. It's rare that I shoot landscape with that narrow of an aperture let alone BIF.

ISO 500 is good on the D7100 so the only thing that I can think of is that you cropped the heck out of that bird.

My suggestion would be to try shooting at f/5.6 or just a little narrower . Your shutter speed is good as well.
There is nothing you can do about your 300mm focal length in short of buying a longer lens.

Yep, it is cropped big time (very normal operation in my world. Ha!) The aperture setting is one of those "how did that happen" kind of things. I usually have it set for about f10 in the U1 setting (my BIF setup). That is one draw back on the D7100 that I have found. It is easy to change settings with the command wheels and at times I guess I do it subconsciously/inadvertently at times when throwing the camera up and hitting BBF and finding the shutter button. Ha!