CWGRIZZ Playing Around--Trying to learn

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
A little "buckaroo" throwing a loop in hopes of catching one of the goats so his team partners could flank it and do a pseudo branding.

cowboy-in-the-making.jpg

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Playing around with processing to improve on a basic photo.

This loading chute and coral are close to my place. I am trying to figure out how to best display what I think I see. Ha!

loadchute1-ol2-cr.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
A few from the Willcox Ranch Rodeo (May 2, 2015)

ranch_rodeo1-cr.jpg

I like the action in this one.

ranch_rodeo2-cr.jpg

I think these two men were the oldest and the youngest of the 4 person team.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I guess I need to post to this thread more often so I can find it without having go go through pages. Ha!

Trying something new with a flower (weed) shot.

thistle-flwr-cr.jpg

Blacktop

A couple more.

View attachment 157284

Grandpa & Grandson again.

View attachment 157285

That loop just didn't fall where it was supposed to.

I normally don't offer suggestions in someone else's thread unless they ask,(so please let me know if I'm out of line), but since the thread title has "trying to learn" in it, I will make an exception.

On action shots like these, the higher you can get your shutter ,the sharper the shot will be. I noticed that one of the shots is at ISO 100 and the other at ISO 160.
May I suggest to double that ISO (I'm sure your D5300 won't have any problems) to get that shutter speed up a little higher.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I normally don't offer suggestions in someone else's thread unless they ask,(so please let me know if I'm out of line), but since the thread title has "trying to learn" in it, I will make an exception.

On action shots like these, the higher you can get your shutter ,the sharper the shot will be. I noticed that one of the shots is at ISO 100 and the other at ISO 160.
May I suggest to double that ISO (I'm sure your D5300 won't have any problems) to get that shutter speed up a little higher.

Thanks @Blacktop, I am always grateful for any suggestions to improve and like the title says, critique and suggest away. To be quite honest, I don't remember what I had for the camera settings. I think it was all manual. I am going to go back to the originals to see. I do remember that I kicked myself when I realized what the camera was set at. The arena had bright sun, cloud cover at times and shade depending on where you were shooting as the contestants went from one end to the other. Ha!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
@Blacktop, I checked and I started Manual and Auto ISO. I don't know how or why I had lowered the shutter speed and had a wide aperture in some. Finally I went to Shutter Priority (800) toward the end of the 300 shots taken. Ha! It was a first for me on this type of shoot and I had fun juggling a shooting spot as well as settings. Ha! It was fun though. Lots of shooting, rapid pace. That is what I liked. "Spray and Pray" ha!!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
i agree walt, you really do need to post more often, some great shots, love post 27

Thanks Roy,
Referring to Post #27, I had some decent bokeh, but wanted to try a dark background, so that was the attempt. I thought it came out fairly well using GIMP. My wife even said it was pretty. Ha!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Here is one that I debated on using for my Fifty-Two in 2015. I thought about using it to fill the "Pets" or "Through a Window" themes, but chose something else. I decided I would share it here.

window-charlie-cr1.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
On my walk yesterday at dusk, I noticed a truck off in the distance. It just provided an interesting perspective to me. (It is one of my trucks that is a future project, so I really didn't discover it. Ha!)

Chevy Truck

chevy-bush-cr.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
This house is located at the base of "Three Sisters Peaks" which is a few miles from me. The house has been vacant and abandoned for years, but it just seemed to really stand out yesterday afternoon. I have always enjoyed the openness of the area with the one lone house in the middle.

vac-house3sisters-cr.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
On an evening stroll, I noticed a swarm glistening in the light of the sunset. I took a quick shot just to see what I could get. I used BB focus and locked on the mesquite leave that were in the closest proximity of the ever moving swarm. Here is what I got. It turns out that when I zoomed in on the picture that it was flying ants.

Flying Ants

fly-ant-cr.jpg

oldsalt

I'd love to see some shots from closer... it would make a very interesting "subject" for a shoot... I love old abandoned buildings... they're very "moody" and I'm always drawn to them.
Unfortunately where I live (in the big city) old places usually have some unsavoury characters in and around them making them a little "unsafe" to spend time in taking photos...it's a bummer.
cheers