70-200 mm f/2.8

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
@Blacktop, have you pre-ordered Nikon's new lens? AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR It's listed at only $2800. Pre-orders are being accepted now.

RocketCowboy

It's light as a feather. I was so surprised that I took it apart just to make sure it had all 16 elements in 11 groups in there. Yup, it's all there.:encouragement:

Any trouble putting it all back together? You know, I usually have extra parts left over. Maybe you have a spare element left out for later? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

@Blacktop, have you pre-ordered Nikon's new lens? AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR It's listed at only $2800. Pre-orders are being accepted now.

Pete said he was Pre-ordering one for each of the weekly challenge team members...he was just waiting on your credit card details to submit the order. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocketman122

thats some thieving prices there for those lenses. $2800 for a 70-200? thats just nuts. $900 price jump from vr1 to vr2 with a huge flaw with closeups and now another $400 jump to get a flawless lens. smh

Horoscope Fish

thats some thieving prices there for those lenses. $2800 for a 70-200? thats just nuts. $900 price jump from vr1 to vr2 with a huge flaw with closeups and now another $400 jump to get a flawless lens. smh
Pricing a 70-200mm f/2.8 at $2,800 should be prosecuted as a crime against humanity.

Whiskeyman

Pricing a 70-200mm f/2.8 at $2,800 should be prosecuted as a crime against humanity.

The $2800 lens is the new FL model. The earlier VR II version is now priced at about $2100. If you think the uncharge for the FL upgrade on this lens is too much, look at the very long telephoto prices.

WM

Blacktop

You better bring it in Feb I'm gonna try it out :D

I'm bringing it, but the 200-500 is still the sharpest lens I have.

Personally I'm not exactly sure what the hype is about this lens. To be fair, I haven't had time to do extensive testing other then spending hours trying to fine tune it.

At 200 mm wide open at close focusing it is hopeless. No amount of fine tuning will help.
At 200mm f/4 it's fine at close focus.

It is also fine at 2.8 if you back up to about 10 feet and more.

Overall sharpness is good, but it is not what I've read before I made the purchase. The way the internet raves about this lens's sharpness, color contrast and almost 3D like goodness, you would think that it's the sharpest thing since the Ginzu knife. It ain't.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fine lens, and it's worth the 530 dollars that I've spent. However if I had to buy it new, I wouldn't spend the 1200 dollars that they are asking for it.

This first shot was taken at a 185mm f/2.8 at close focusing distance. I do like the transition to the out of focus area. It looks nice and smooth.

_DSC2940.jpg

_DSC3122-2.jpg

_DSC3137.jpg

Last edited:

Blacktop

csgaraglino

I have been shooting with the the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S ED (the newest version) with my D700 for many years without any issues.

HOWEVER!

Ever since I got my D810 that lens struggled in low light and any action faster than a toddler on a tricycle! The image quality is junk - it took me less than 2 weeks to put it on CraigsList.

I now have the 70-200 VR II and have not looked back!

Two important notes:

1. Nikon and Nikon dealears do NOT have access to parts for any 80-200 anymore. I received notice from NPS quite a while back that they no longer can service that lens - so if anything happens to it your SOOL!

2. My wife and I were in BustBuy last night and while waiting for them to pull our new purchase, we were poking around the camera section and while talking with the rep, we were told that BestBuy will not be restocking the 70-200 VRII to make room for the new 70-200 LF ED VR out in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

singlerosa_RIP

I have been shooting with the the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S ED (the newest version) with my D700 for many years without any issues.

HOWEVER!

Ever since I got my D810 that lens struggled in low light and any action faster than a toddler on a tricycle! The image quality is junk - it took me less than 2 weeks to put it on CraigsList.

Two important notes:

1. Nikon and Nikon dealears do NOT have access to parts for any 80-200 anymore. I received notice from NPS quite a while back that they no longer can service that lens - so if anything happens to it your SOOL!

2. My wife and I were in BustBuy last night and while waiting for them to pull our new purchase, we were poking around the camera section and while talking with the rep, we were told that BestBuy will not be restocking the 70-200 VRII to make room for the new 70-200 LF ED VR out in a couple weeks.

1. Exactly why I don't have an 810

2. Why piss on Blacktop's parade?

3. Who buys high end photo gear at BestBuy?

4. Have a nice day. :)

csgaraglino

1. Refining your technique only makes you a better photographer. Don't be afraid of fine tuning your craft and don't let technology get in your way - low end or high.

2. He asked the question, I expect he was looking for an honest answer, not someone blowing smoke up his....

3. Appearently a lot of folks, they have a fairly extensive and current stock. Me - well I walked out with the new 4K HDR 65" Flat Screen and a bitchen Sony Soundbar for my wife!

4. Thank you, I always try!

Blacktop

HOWEVER!

Two important notes:

It's fine on the D750. I should have known better not to judge a lens the first day that I do test shots with it around the house. Shooting now for over a week and fine tuning it ,it is turning out to be a lens to my liking.
I even threw the 1.4TC on it for a few shots. If I had more money to spend, I would have bought the Tamron 70-200 mm 2.8 VC, but for 1/3rd the price it was a no brainier for me.

Beanbagfrags

I have the Nikon 80-200 2.8 push pull. I enjoy the "old style" look and feel of it. I think you will continue to enjoy your new purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borga Voffe

Please advice me in buying such a 80-200 afs newest ver. Used on eBay, Im also broke.

Have read every post in this thread Now I know this is the lens I need for my d750

i have the marvellous 70-300 vr its good in summertime, but in the dark ages of winter I eed som 28