70-200 mm f/2.8

john*thomas

Late to the show but.......I can't keep all the lettering straight.....I have the older Tamron 70-200 2.8 and I simply love it. Use it even when I should use something else. I bought it around this time last year. $600 refurbished with a warranty. I haven't missed the vibration reduction at all. (was able to shoot fireworks handheld) but it is a wee bit slow focusing but you get used to it.

I've banged it around a lot the last year and it's held up great. Given a choice, I'll take the push-pull everytime.

Bikerbrent

I have settled on the 80-200mm AF-D Nikon 2 ring lens. Now waiting for a good deal to come along.

I just saw this thread and while I may be a little late, I have the 80-200mm AF-D 2 ring lens, which I have had since my film days, and love it. While there are times I miss the VR (been spoiled I quess), I don't miss the cost or the breathing issue of the newer 70-200 VR lenses. Finally, for what it is worth, my lens is very, very sharp.

Blacktop

I just ordered one on e-bay for $534.00. (The 2 ring version AF-D) This is the store I ordered it from. ppr-atl on eBay
They actually have a physical location in Atlanta plus they are an authorized Nikon reseller. The lens described in excellent condition, no marks scratches,fungus, haze or anything.

Now I just have to order a lens hood for it.

Bikerbrent

I just ordered one on e-bay for $534.00. (The 2 ring version AF-D) This is the store I ordered it from. ppr-atl on eBay
They actually have a physical location in Atlanta plus they are an authorized Nikon reseller. The lens described in excellent condition, no marks scratches,fungus, haze or anything.

Now I just have to order a lens hood for it.

Congratulations! Sounds like a good deal. I got my 80-200 back before the turn of the century (boy does that make me and the lens sound old) for $600 (including lens hood). Not counting inflation, at least my lens appears to have kept its price pretty well.

hrstrat57

Awesome @Blacktop u is gonna love it!

I bought a generic hood on line, might have been Adorama maybe eBay can't remember. With many long lenses the hood is essential. I have found this one not so much.

My generic hood falls off a lot......many times I am retracing my steps to pick it up off the ground.....I've kept shooting without it and it hasn't been a huge disaster. It does make the lens look bigger and more bad azz tho......

Blacktop

I bought a generic hood on line, might have been Adorama maybe eBay can't remember. With many long lenses the hood is essential. I have found this one not so much.

My generic hood falls off a lot......many times I am retracing my steps to pick it up off the ground.....I've kept shooting without it and it hasn't been a huge disaster. It does make the lens look bigger and more bad azz tho......

I'm going to pick up a tulip hood. The chicks dig that!:encouragement:

Blacktop

I could have used it at the zoo today. Wore my ass out dragging the 200-500mm around, dodging people with it. It looks like the 80-200 is about half the weight and a lot smaller.

rocketman122

I had the 80-200 afd and afs. I now have the vr1. Personally the 70mm with the 70-200 saved my ass many times over the 80mm. If i was low on funds and wanted a 70/80-200 it would be for a used tamron 70-200vc. No hesitation for a millisecond. Newer tech better iq. Has vignetting on the far end at 2.8 but I like it for portraits and add it anyway pp. But f4 its fine of you dont like it.

Looking on eBay now I think they can be had for around 700 bucks. Best option hands down

Regarding the 180 2.8d. I shot with that lens. Great lens. But its not for those situations u need flexibility like in comicon. You will wind hating it at the end of shooting. Shooting primes in dynamic situations is VERY hard. Even for me. And i shoot with the 85mm on the dance floor in very tight spaces in weddings in low light

Last edited:

rocketman122

the newly announced 70-200E will sell for...wait for it - a measly $2800. so there may be demand for the tamron. used or new. it will offer more used vr1/2 but I highly doubt flocks of people will sell their older lens for this thieving err new lens

Danno

Congrats @Blacktop! Hope you enjoy it. Sounds like you got a good price. I looked at those for a long time and ended up going with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 with out the VC. I have been pretty pleased with it so far. I seem to go from that lens to the Sigma 10-20 now most of the time.

Last edited: