70-200 mm f/2.8

Bikerbrent

Yes, I too have the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D ED (2-ring) and this is one killer lens. Yes, their are times that I yearn for VR and the 70mm bottom would fill in the gap to my 28-70mm Tokina, but then I think about the high price of the VR versions and the breathing issues (At close focus the 70-200 VR is really only a 135mm lens).

Danno

Blacktop I have the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 D

I cannot recommend it enough - it is absolutely killer.

I believe I have a couple pics on my surf thread taken with the lens I believe I posted multiple pics shot with the lens in my D1 Basketball thread as well.....

I bought mine apparently unused from my trusted LCS with case for $500.

They pop up all the time on craigslist, folks think they need to tech up another $2K to get the shot. Advantage Blacktop on his quest.

Forgive the link to the reviewer who cannot be named but this is my lens.....

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D Review

His review in this case could not be more bang on.

Get one @Blacktop you will thank me. I am dead serious I would not trade my lens straight up for a new 70-200 f 2.8 VR. Not a chance, I love this thing. With the 2.8 and the ability to bump up ISO a bit on the D700 I have zero need for VR with what I shoot. I can get big shutter speeds in nearly all conditions. The picture in the post below was at dusk and shot from about 150 yards offshore. Shot RAW and cropped via Nikon capture NX-D. As you can see I still had one full stop in reserve at ISO 800 at 1/800.

The lens is heavy but I am very old school and prefer heft in my serious shooting. With the MB -D10 attached the D700 / 80-200 f 2.8 pairing is beast mode.

I have been reading a bunch about the one in the link in particular. It sounds like a great lens... but they move fast no EBay. But I am patient. Thanks for the ringing endorsement.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Keep in mind that the push/pull type lenses tend to suck in dust a little more compared with the ones that use a zoom ring. But internal dust isn't always a deal-breaker either. Just a friendly heads-up. ;)

hrstrat57

I have been reading a bunch about the one in the link in particular. It sounds like a great lens... but they move fast no EBay. But I am patient. Thanks for the ringing endorsement.
@Danno just wait for one to show up at Keh.com - they do have an AFS version right now, my version would be quite a bit less $$$
@hark my 80-200 f 2.8 ED is not push pull.

The details are found in the link in my post to @Blacktop

singlerosa_RIP

From the "archives". D7000 w/80-200 shooting high school football.

JFS_8179.jpg

Blacktop

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions. It sounds like the 80-200 (new) is the way to go. I have plenty of time to wait for a good deal to come along.:encouragement:

Blacktop

Face it Pete, you always have a bad case of NAS LOL

Well, since I'm not getting the D500 ......Besides I'm selling my 20mm f/2.8 and my 70-300mm Nikon lens, so that should get me close without breaking the bank.
It's not something that I absolutely need, but it would come in handy in some circumstance like an Asian festival in Knoxville or a concert under lights.:encouragement: I could definitely live without it if I had to.

It's not something that I absolutely need, but it would come in handy in some circumstance like an Asian festival in Knoxville or a concert under lights.:encouragement: I could definitely live without it if I had to.

I tell myself these things before I talk myself into getting them too. My Tokina 16-28 is the latest thing I could have lived without and it has been on the camera more than any other lens recently.

Blacktop

I tell myself these things before I talk myself into getting them too. My Tokina 16-28 is the latest thing I could have lived without and it has been on the camera more than any other lens recently.

Tokina sure has the wide angle zooms down path it seems. Solid lenses, with high IQ at a very reasonable price.

gustafson

If you're coming from a lighter zoom, I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on the 70/80-200 before making the plunge. I recently acquired the 80-200 push-pull in a similar bout of NAS, and while it is built like a tank, it was way heavier than I expected and uncomfortable for me to use handheld. For some reason, my copy failed to impress me with its image quality, and was soft wide open with a yellowish cast. Ultimately, it didn't earn a place in my kit and ended up going back during the return period. Of course, your mileage may vary, but regardless I strongly recommended seeing and handling one of these lenses in person before buying.

Fortkentdad

I'm using a Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR ED - edition one.

I picked it up locally used a few months ago and really like it. Didn't want to part with money Nikon wants for the new VRII version. This VRI still have the active - normal VR system and has worked flawlessly on all of my cameras. My copy does not have a tripod foot - they are available but have not found the need yet as I use it hand held. If I was using it on a tripod I might want to invest in one - will have to try it on a tripod without the foot and see.

This was shot yesterday of my dear wife - my caption for my FB post of this was something like: "my wife's reaction to the idea that it might be a while before I get more camera gear since I just added a D7100 to my arsenal"

Shot in the evening shade.

laughing DSC_0089.jpg

carguy

Can't even begin to tell you how much I love, love, LOVE my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD.

In fact I'm going to go hug mine, right now.
LoL Same here

Yes, I'm researching that one as well. I really really can't spend much money right now. That is why I was asking about the 80-200, but I am open to suggestions.
If my 70-300mm came in a f/2.8 offering, that would be one sweet assed lens. (but very heavy I would imagine)
What's the budget? You can buy a new Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 non-VC for about $770
The Nikon 80-200mm is a nice piece as well.