Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Drumhead on the rear of former Lehigh Valley Railroad business car No. 353 in Bay Head, NJ. In its glory days, the Lehigh Valley's crack passenger train was the Black Diamond, paying homage to the railroad's fortunes made in anthracite coal. [02/1983, Kodachrome, Nikon EL-2]
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    The Pennsylvania Railroad's MO Tower was located at Cresson, PA. An effort was made to relocate the tower for preservation, but when it was lifted, a main structural member broke and the tower was demolished on the spot. :( [400 ASA Ektachrome, April 1989, Nikon 2020]
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Found two shots of MG Tower in my box of "seconds" I was going to throw away. Glad I took the time to sort through them. MG (Middle Grade) was built during WW-II to provide operational flexibility on the Pennsylvania Railroad's mountain grade west of Altoona, PA. Sadly MG is slated to be...
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From December 1986, NS units throttle up for an ascent of the grade at Saluda, NC. Until its closure 15 years later, this was the steepest mainline railroad grade in the U.S.. [Kodachrome, Nikon 2020]
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    That's so perfectly stated -- I completely agree. Timing of shots was essential as well, where you had to envision exactly where you wanted the train to be in the photo before the train appeared. I'd pick out a joint bar and figured to nail the shutter when the pilot was upon it. It was still...
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From March 1993, CSX Train 464 rolls through Cassatt, SC. I liked the SCL sign on the bridge, so set up this shot.
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    August 1983 at Rice Yard in Waycross, GA. [Kodachrome, Nikon EL-2]
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Built in 1927 at Lima, OH, former Texas & Pacific 2-10-4 No. 610 visits Knoxville, TN in June 1978.
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Trains pass on Norfolk Southern's "Rathole" near Tateville, KY in April 2005. This is an extraordinary line, both in its engineering and its traffic density. The nickname "Rathole" was earned as the line was built in the 1870s, with 27 smoke-filled tunnels and twisting, difficult grades. In...
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I thought I was done scanning my slides ..... until I found a box full of my "seconds" in a closet. :eek: Ends up that after decades have passed, I like some of the shots and will scan them. [March 1997 - Franconia, AZ] L&N Alco RS-11 [November 1978 - Knoxville, TN]
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Good to see you're back trackside Chuck. :) Recent NS schedule changes here have reduced the train count by our house to only two per day and both run in darkness. :( Several days ago the northbound ran in two sections, so maybe that bodes well for our national economy and restoration of...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    As found on an Alco locomotive at Cornelia, GA in November 1989, a McIntosh & Seymour engine component. McIntosh & Seymour was a pioneer and developer of large 4-Cycle diesel engines. Alco purchased McIntosh & Seymour in 1929 and their designs became the foundation for Alco's entry into the...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A Seaboard Coast Line signalman's lock protects equipment at Southern Pines, NC [Kodachrome, Nikon N2020, November 1992]
  14. S

    Flash Not Firing Everytime?

    I'm probably missing something here, but my D5100 has a button with a lightning bolt on it that will force the flash to rise, then fire when the shutter button is pressed. I'm guessing that the D3500 lacks this or that it won't fire in manual mode? What are you gaining in manual mode that you...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Brrrr! An Elgin, Joliet & Eastern signal braves another winter and keeps trains moving on Chicago's Outer Belt. [Barrington, IL - 12/1977, Kodachrome, Nikkormat FTn]
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Speaking of which, I came across this slide of a steam-powered pile driver that I did not take. It was given to me by someone and I can no longer recall the details, other than it was taken in the mid-1970s near Maplesville, AL on the ICG (former GM&O). You can almost smell the coal smoke, right?
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    CSX piledriver at Prattville, AL in March 1989. [Kodachrome, Nikon N2020]
  18. S

    D5100 Built In Flash Won't Rise

    Yes, the spring is in place and all seems like it should be well. I like the dental floss idea -- a good tip! Here's my D5100 and its flash housing hook, as captured using my wife's cell phone camera. I stupidly closed it up after she took the photo and when I used the button to reopen it, it...
  19. S

    D5100 Built In Flash Won't Rise

    The built-in flash on my D5100 no longer pops up when I press the little button with the lightning bolt on it adjacent to the flash. It won't work in any of the P, A, S or M modes like it should. When I press the button, there's no sound or indication that it wants to pop up, so it doesn't...
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    After a draught of Heritage Units, the (original) Norfolk Southern arrived today in the company of the N&W. I'd seen the N&W a number of times, but never the NS.
Top