Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A Union Switch & Signal PRR position light dwarf signal displays a stop indication at Hudson, OH. [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X, July 1976] Ten years after this shot was taken, I met my wife and on our first trip into former PRR territory, she called these "Gumby" signals because their shape somewhat...
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    April 1998 at the SAL's crossroads at Hamlet, NC. There was a major hump yard here until Precision Scheduled Railroading took root at CSX and it is now closed. In 2003 the enormous depot was moved across the tracks and spun 90 Deg. to place it in a more accessible spot. Hamlet is also stop for...
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Former SAL Alco C-420 1376 works at Knoxville, TN in April 1979. These aging units were flogged daily and yet muscled through. I recall seeing a C-420 throttled up shoving a heavy cut, wheels having lost adhesion and slowly spinning with smoke pouring off the wheel surfaces.
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    March 1981 at Denville, NJ, a junction on the former Delaware, Lackawanna & Western. The train is on the Boonton line and is about to join the electrified mainline heading west. The Boonton line was a freight bypass. A lot has changed in 40 years and I'm not sure if the Boonton line remains as...
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    While we're on a Family Lines theme, former L&N caboose 6280 in fresh Family Lines paint awaits assignment in May 1979 at Knoxville, TN.
  6. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Car shopping I am .....
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From October 1979 at Knoxville, TN, GE C30-7 7005 is only eight months old.
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I didn't do much railfanning in 2020, so tried to get 2021 off to a good start. Grabbed these two shots today as I passed through the Columbia, SC area. In the first photo, NS 191 is waiting for Track Authority before departure from the yard. The crew radioed the Dispatcher and said "We're...
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    As found in a closet at my late mother's home, some 35mm slides that my late father took in 1975 as I arrived from Chicago aboard Amtrak's Floridian at Fort Lauderdale, FL in March 1975. I'm not certain, but I think the station is former Seaboard.
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    12/03/1977 at John Sevier Yard in Knoxville, TN. SOU 1114 is an SW-7.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Former SAL 617, a GP-40 is seen at Atlanta, GA in April 1984 hastily renumbered SBD 6688. She was one of 51 purchased by the SAL.
  12. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Here are two slides from Washington, DC with cars as taken by my Grandfather. Capitol Building is first and the Lincoln Memorial second.
  13. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    I came across some interesting 35mm Kodachrome slides while cleaning out my late mother's home. I'm trying to figure out when they were taken and I'm figuring that it was in the WW-II era, late 1930s to mid 1940s. Modern Kodachrome was introduced in 1935. I'm pretty sure that the top image...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    As part of cleaning out my late mother's home, I'm scanning the family 35mm slides. My grandparents retired in south Florida and once a year, we'd make the long trip south to visit them. From 1966 is this shot as taken by my Dad of a little tourist train that ran through the Hugh Taylor Birch...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    L&N C-420 1366 (former Seaboard Air Line) at Knoxville, TN, October 1978.
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    SOU GP-38-2 5046 at Columbus, GA on 05/25/1985. [Kodachrome, Nikon N2020]
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A northbound Milwaukee Road freight crosses the C&NW at Des Plaines, IL in '75 or '76. Sigh -- F Units, cabooses and semaphore signals, all gone and even the Milwaukee Road itself.
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From about 1975, what I think is Train 599 is stopped and awaiting a commuter train to pass by at the end of triple track at Barrington, IL. 599 was a Chicago => Madison, WI manifest which was often heavy with tonnage for the big Chevy plant at Janesville, WI, now closed.
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    July 1978 at Ringoes, NJ finds Black River & Western's No. 60 at rest. She's a former Great Western Rwy. (of Colorado) sugar hauler and was built by Alco in 1937.
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    On a frigid 12/21/1976, a C&NW freight prepares to detour south on the EJ&E at Barrington, IL after a derailment. [Plus-X, Nikkormat FTn]
Top