My hunt for Norfolk Southern's "Heritage Unit" for the Southern Railway always seems star-crossed, with the locomotive not well positioned. It happened again this evening, with its nose coupled to another unit and its nose door open. Can't complain too much though.
Got out trackside today for the first time in many months. Caught NS 191 crossing the Congaree River in Cayce, SC. 191 was late departing, which caused me to lose a shot at another spot with NS's Erie Heritage Unit leading a freight. :( Oh well, that's railfanning.
On a beautiful Saturday April 9, 1988 at Attalla, AL, 1218 is making her first trip of the season on a Birmingham <=> Chattanooga run. [Kodachrome 64, Nikon N2020]
Here's another shot that I so wish I had captured on Kodachrome -- Burlington Northern's special Bi-Centennial locomotive 1976 at Rochelle, IL, resplendent in red, white and blue.
I miss those '70s diesel lashups, randomly mixing generations and builders to collect enough horsepower. This was taken 02/14/1976 at the Soo's yard at Schiller Park, IL near Chicago. [Plus-X, Nikkormat FT-n]
The EJ&E replaced the Baldwins with SD-38s, SD-38-2s and GP-38-2s. Boy I wish I'd have been shooting Kodachrome back then, but I was a high school kid with a basement darkroom and b&w was the only affordable route.
Learning how to scan b&w negatives. Some are not in good condition, but others are okay. These are from the mid-1970s in northern IL. All were processed in a basement darkroom built by my Dad for my brother and I. [Plus-X, Nikkormat FTn]
My favorite 1980 Honda Accord LX 5-Speed adjacent to a General Electric B23-7 at Catawba, SC in February '91. I'm not sure what became of the locomotive, but my Honda would soldier on for another year, sold at 195,000 Miles. [Kodachrome, Nikon 2020]
Fine looking Black River & Western 2-8-0 No. 60 at Flemington, NJ in June 1980. She was built by Alco in 1937 for Colorado sugar hauler Great Western and is still in service with the BR&W. [Kodachrome, Nikkormat FTn]
My wife and I went to a Volkswagen meet today and had a fine time despite overcast skies. One of my favorite VW GTIs is the 2007 MK5 Fahrenheit Edition and I caught one there. I'm an old skool guy and so enjoyed seeing this one as delivered with the factory wheels, paint and stance. Just a...
With its crew protected by "ghetto grills", GE E-60 956 races through Princeton Jct, NJ trailing a cloud of dust. [Nikkormat FTn, Kodachrome, July 1978]
The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western's letters stand proudly on the Bush train sheds at the Hoboken, NJ terminal. These platform canopies were a unique design, eschewing the large vaulted arches which were common in the era in favor of low profile cantilevered roofs with slots centered along the...
Now 100 years old, I found this Pennsylvania Railroad keystone impressed into a branchline bridge overpass at Ringoes, NJ in 1980. [Kodachrome, Nikkormat FTn]