The Backdoor Hippie's Ranchopalooza of Inconsistently Posted Images - 2013 Version

BackdoorArts

I think this is a very sweet shot Jake. It has quite a lot of mood in it and is very soft and intimate at the same time. Have you tried without the branches on top?

No, but only because removing the branches became very problematic if I wanted to show the texture in the overcast sky. I could crop closer, but I didn't like the way things framed. There are actually more dramatic looking branches further up and I thought about bringing them down to frame differently, but that was problematic as well. I may come back to it and try something different.

BackdoorArts

I think this is a very sweet shot Jake. It has quite a lot of mood in it and is very soft and intimate at the same time. Have you tried without the branches on top?

Something more like this? I hadn't saved the layer work so I had to try and reapply only the frame on the previous edit.

_D805281-Edit.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
After seeing the cropped version, I have to agree with your first choice Jake. It does look better with the branches.

BackdoorArts

Woke up this morning to an extremely light dusting of very crystalline snow on the deck.

Note to self: This snowflake photography thing isn't as easy as it looks. :)

_D805781-Edit.jpg

To do it right I'm going to need some extension tubes (this is a rather extreme crop), more patience and a much better pair of gloves. LOL

Krs_2007

Woke up this morning to an extremely light dusting of very crystalline snow on the deck.

To do it right I'm going to need some extension tubes (this is a rather extreme crop), more patience and a much better pair of gloves. LOL

Looks good, I like the shot.

BackdoorArts

Looks good, I like the shot.

Thanks. But when I consider what it is, and more than that what it isn't, and then consider it's the most usable of the 40 or so shots I tried to get this morning, I can do little more than chalk it up as a learning experience. But that's always a good thing, particularly given that I was in no way prepared for it - I just came into the kitchen to get some coffee, saw the snow and said, "Crap - I need to take some pictures!!" LOL

Krs_2007

Well at least you tried and got one posted Jake. All I can do is post non-macro ice crystals from TX. I hope to get a macro setup sometime after the first year, not that it will ever be as good as the snow flake photographer or even yours above.

Jake, it really is a nice shot.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

View attachment 64564

Looks spectacular if you ask me! There's a lot of detail plus incredible bokeh--I can understand the need for extension tubes though because these crystals are so tiny. Extremely impressive given what you had to work with. :)

BackdoorArts

Thanks, @hark. Bokeh is enhanced in post with Color Efex. The Sigma 105mm has nice bokeh, but the detail extraction necessary to make the crystals pop tends to mess with it too much, so you have to put some back.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks, @hark. Bokeh is enhanced in post with Color Efex. The Sigma 105mm has nice bokeh, but the detail extraction necessary to make the crystals pop tends to mess with it too much, so you have to put some back.

Lol! You are killing me with all the benefits of the Nik Collection! I haven't yet purchased it but am learning towards it instead of Photomatix--thanks to YOU! ;)