The Backdoor Hippie's Ranchopalooza of Inconsistently Posted Images - 2013 Version

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd read about this place on a Weird NJ blog and saw some rather cool photos, so my brother and I made this a destination on our photo safari last Friday. Great site, easy to find, but unfortunately the perfect day was anything but perfect here since the abundant sunlight did all sorts of nasty things with shadows from the trees that surround the place. We've got it on our list of, "If we're ever in the area on an overcast day..." places. I also rediscovered how to do the "2 Photographers In A Very Small Area Trying To Get Pics" dance.

For the curious, this is Spring Valley Christian Church in Hardwick Twp., just north of Blairstown, New Jersey. It was last used in 1870 for a funeral and had been preserved by the Hardwick Twp. Historical Society. Unlike many ruins, this one is accessible and open to whomever wants to wander in.

10438041304_f9bb56f49f_o.jpg

I REALLY like this one in IR. The reason is because the sides of the church mimic the headstones in both shape and coloring. Plus all the IR shots give a feeling of spookiness that the color shot lacks.

RockyNH_RIP

I'd read about this place on a Weird NJ blog and saw some rather cool photos, so my brother and I made this a destination on our photo safari last Friday. Great site, easy to find, but unfortunately the perfect day was anything but perfect here since the abundant sunlight did all sorts of nasty things with shadows from the trees that surround the place. We've got it on our list of, "If we're ever in the area on an overcast day..." places. I also rediscovered how to do the "2 Photographers In A Very Small Area Trying To Get Pics" dance.

For the curious, this is Spring Valley Christian Church in Hardwick Twp., just north of Blairstown, New Jersey. It was last used in 1870 for a funeral and had been preserved by the Hardwick Twp. Historical Society. Unlike many ruins, this one is accessible and open to whomever wants to wander in.

Very nice Jake... I especially like the interior shot (last one in set)

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

It's been ages since I edited a photo using Lightroom alone, so I took a shot at it with one of the eclipse photos, convincing myself that f I had to I could live with just that tool.

Moon's Last Grasp On The Sun

10669118763_67af6c3597_o.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Memories Jake, Film vs digital analogy, are you listening to these often these days? I have a lot of vinyls too but haven't listened to them for a long long time. MP3s are so much more user friendly...

BackdoorArts

Memories Jake, Film vs digital analogy, are you listening to these often these days? I have a lot of vinyls too but haven't listened to them for a long long time. MP3s are so much more user friendly...

Marcel, I don't listen to them all that much, but they stare at me daily from a shelf in my office. I have a ton of stuff that I accumulated between about 1976 and 1987 when I got my first CD player, and not a lot after that. Probably in the neighborhood of 300 albums. I've replaced most of it on CD, and have ripped some that I do not have using a USB turntable I got about 2 years ago. I'd love to get another high quality player, but I've no real need right now. Maybe the next house with the man cave. LOL

BackdoorArts

I've been cooped up so long I told the wife Thursday night to put a shopping list together because I was headed out of the house early Friday morning and I would pick up groceries for her - just so I had an excuse to go somewhere. Here are a couple things I spotted along the way.

10884755104_335353b8a4_o.jpg

10884755904_02ae20b8cf_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

I've been trying to find a way to shoot this old abandoned shed for months but thanks to road signs, power lines and construction that will soon obscure it all together I've yet to be able to get anything worthwhile. I believe I may just need to settle for this one.

10884594305_ff8bf810ea_o.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've been cooped up so long I told the wife Thursday night to put a shopping list together because I was headed out of the house early Friday morning and I would pick up groceries for her - just so I had an excuse to go somewhere. Here are a couple things I spotted along the way.

10884755104_335353b8a4_o.jpg

I like the pattern on this cat's face. Good shots.

BackdoorArts

Wow, almost two weeks since I've posted anything. Tells you what a shut in I've been.

Here are three from our annual hunt for a Christmas Tree. I used this as an opportunity to play with some of the film and Classic/Vintage camera filters in Nik's Analog Efex Pro. I removed light leaks and dust/scratches and tweaked from there.

11235846905_a203a320da_o.jpg

11235877756_c03c6b8d37_o.jpg

11235860504_747bc37def_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

Very Nice Jake... Liking 1 and 3 the best! Have not tried that module at all yet...

Pat in NH

Thanks, Pat. The thing about Analog Efex is that many of the presets add noise, giving you the faux print look that Instagram has made so popular. While that can be useful in limited circumstances, I find it over the top. But it's easy enough to turn off those parts of a preset and just go for the color toning. Really nice.

BackdoorArts

Tried shooting some post-snow stuff earlier this week but wasn't thrilled with the the way things came out. So I played with them a bit in Analog Efex and got something I could use.

Featureless sky "saved" by Wet Plate filters...

11390627133_ba3c07c0a6_o.jpg

Not-quite-enough-DoF "saved" by Toy Camera filters...

11390756893_89d0a5eaac_o.jpg