JPEG or RAW - what do you shoot??

JPEG or RAW

• Total voters

johncook

Hey guys,

just wondering what everyone shoots, JPEGs, RAW, or a combination of both depending on what you are doing?

I tried out RAW, but got fed up of all the post processing, didn't really find it was that much better for my uses, so just shoot in JPEG high quality (not even fine). I know you can adjust a lot more in the RAW files (like white balance / exposure etc..) but as I run it in full manual mode, I'm always fiddling (even with white balance) to get the perfect shot (must be my OCD)

I did have the camera work with both slots, so saving slot one RAW, slot 2 JPEG, but found this annoying too so just switched to JPEG only!!

be interested to see what you all do.

Mike150

I shoot in RAW. (If its COLD out, I'll wear a trench coat!) :)

Thank Goodness for Trenchcoats.

I shoot both. My wife want's the JPG files on the Network drive. I want the NEFs on my hard drive. After a little tweeking, she wonders why mine look better than the ones she has. Aggravates the heck out of her. I sit back and grin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

I shoot RAW.

But only because it ticks off the purists. I'm one of those people who likes to bastardize photography by using a computer to process my work. I also use HDR and sacrifice chickens.

johncook

3 hits for the RAW camp. maybe I should stop being so lazy and at least use the RAW & JPEG mode again so it records one to each memory card, for those shots that might benefit from the extra tweaking a RAW image allows.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I use Raw 99% of the time. I find that I can save highlights with raw that I can't with jpegs. It is a little more work, but not that much if you use Lightroom or Aperture.

ZekeMenuar

I shoot JPEG fine 99% of the time.

I don't have any post processing software. Shooting everything in RAW would be pointless.
I shoot exceptional subjects in RAW+JPEG fine. Save the RAW images to fool with when I get some decent post processing software.
For now all of my shots are straight out of the camera.

JoeLewisPhotography

My camera has not left RAW since the day I got it. I use it for all the obvious reasons. I also process through lightroom, and as said before, that makes things a lot easier.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I also worship at the altar of the Almighty Colonel Saunders! :)

I shoot RAW.

But only because it ticks off the purists. I'm one of those people who likes to bastardize photography by using a computer to process my work. I also use HDR and sacrifice chickens.

Poor chickens.

KFC.jpeg

fotojack

I shoot in jpg. I have the software to process in RAW, but I don't know how to use it. NX2 is as technical as I can get. :) Besides....for my purposes, jpg is just fine for me. I'm not making a living from photography, so I really don't find it necessary to shoot in RAW.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I shoot in jpg. I have the software to process in RAW, but I don't know how to use it. NX2 is as technical as I can get. :) Besides....for my purposes, jpg is just fine for me. I'm not making a living from photography, so I really don't find it necessary to shoot in RAW.

I hear ya Jack but there is something so liberating about shooting RAW. . . you enjoy the breezes more too!

shibang

It depends what I am doing.

If I'm out with the kids then I normally shoot RAW on one card and JPEG on the other, anything else then I normally shoot RAW and only process the shots I want, the rest just sit there doing nothing in Lightroom.

gfinlayson

I've been shooting RAW for more than a year. Still use JPG occasionally if I want something quick and dirty straight out of camera.

GeneralSQL

I shoot both Raw and JPG. I have both images go to the same card so I can fill both cards as much as possible. I use the JPG format so I have something to show others quickly. If I need to do anything to a photo, I pull up the Raw image and work from there. I have done several sessions with families and some prom photos. I post process the Raw for the best shots. I use Adobe Bridge to manage my portfolio and the JPG images load faster on my computer and I can scroll through the images faster.