What would be the thing to do?

M.Hinch

Your out for the day shooting, you come along a house, or a barn etc. You find it appealing. Should one approach the owner, introduce yourself and ask for permission to take a photo? Or just take the shot?
What should one do?

Michael [ O ]

ohkphoto

Snow White
I think it would also depend what you plan to do with the photo. If you're going to sell it, you may have to get the owner to sign a release as required by the agency or publication.

Best Regards

Fen

I've got quite a few photos of buildings which are on stock libraries, as long as they are used 'Editorial' and not for advertising purposes it would be perfectly okay.

Also - If it's just for your own use, then you have nothing to worry about. Even making a print for yourself (or for others) is okay. Back in May I found a lively little wooden shack that someone had built on a beach and they use it as a fishing hut. I took a photo of it. Then back on the computer I converted it to B&W (high contrast) and made a print for my wall. A friend saw it and asked for a copy (on canvas) for their conservatory. Print was made and it's now on the wall of her house.

Of course... if you yourself feel uncomfortable taking the photo... don't take it :)

DaveKoontz

My take on this is: Shoot first, ask questions later! Don't loose the shot, most buildings beyond a certain age are perfectly okay to shoot, and to :cool:sell the images. If you can see it without trespassing, shoot it.

wdcbarn.jpg

You mean something like this? Shot from the side of the road, and has sold 3 or 4 prints.

Fotojo

Just as everyone has indicated if you are on public property you are free to take the shot. But if you plan to sell I would attempt to get a release to avoid problems later. Also just because you are on public property does not mean you will not get stopped. I was taking photo's at a local park that was accross from some homes and one of the residents called on me. They dispached 4 cars and blocked in my vechicle as I was about to leave before they got there. I was accused of taking photo's of peoples homes which of coarse I denied and even though I was not obligated to do so Ishowed them my photo's on my card which had zero homes clearly focused in any of the shots so they of course did their check on me then told me due to the highten threat these days people are more on edge. They told me I could continue to shoot but I told them i was moving on so use caution.

Browncoat

There is a useful PDF document called The Photographer’s Right that is a good starting point when you are concerned about whether you need permission to capture an image. This is U.S. specific but the site does have links for other countries.

+1 for this. Print it out and carry a copy with you.

US law dictates that if you are standing on public property, feel free to snap away at anything you like. You can take photos of private property from public property too, with certain limitations. Don't try to shoot into someone's living room, for example. Common sense is the best indicator here. If you can get the shot from the road or sidewalk, it's yours for the taking.