zoom lens?

John who?

There are possibly one of two things that you are seeking based on your post

1) Bring distant objects closer. For that you need a telephoto lens or at least a lens with a focal length that is longer than your 18-55 kit lens. The Nikon 70-300VR lens is a good quality option that will give you quite a bit of reach. The Tamron 70-300VC has a very good reputation and is cheaper than the Nikon. The Nikon 55-200 is also a decent option.

2) Get close up pictures of small objects. For close up or macro photography the very best option is a macro lens. Nikon and Sigma both make a very good 105mm f2.8 macro lens. If you want to do close ups without the expense of a macro lens there are supplimentary close up lenses that screw into the filter threads of you existing lens. The cheap single element close up lenses are not all that good though. I use Canon 500D close up lenses and they are very good.

Regards

John

aroy

For bringing distant objects nearer, I would always advocate getting the primes. Spending money on inexpensive long zooms will frustrate you with their IQ, especially on modern high resolution 24MP sensors.

adityasoman

1.55-200 IF-ED
2.70-300 VR (if you find this one costly look for refurbished one)

Try Nikon Lens simulator.to get and idea.Else go to a local shop and see first hand

Keep the camera with you and then go thru the entire manual...follow Youtube videos to learn faster

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2