zoom lens?

RON_RIP

Don't be too quick to give up your Mac. Does it have I Photo on it? If you import your photos into your Mac with I photo it will show you wether or not the photo is in raw or jpeg by clicking on the photo and then hitting the information tab. You really need to study your manual. Beginners are better off shooting in jpeg until they have a better grasp of the basics. The onboard computer in your camera often does a very good job of editing photos for you. And there are settings you can make in your menus that can tweak those edits to some degree.

Krs_2007

Just right click on one of your images and select get info. Macs are a little different when trying to find things, so take your time and remember you have two elephants here. Photography and a MAC computer.

mom2nj

Don't be too quick to give up your Mac. Does it have I Photo on it? If you import your photos into your Mac with I photo it will show you wether or not the photo is in raw or jpeg by clicking on the photo and then hitting the information tab. You really need to study your manual. Beginners are better off shooting in jpeg until they have a better grasp of the basics. The onboard computer in your camera often does a very good job of editing photos for you. And there are settings you can make in your menus that can tweak those edits to some degree.

I have looked at my manual and unless I am missing it, I don't see anything about raw and jpeg.. but I am pretty sure I must be doing jpeg because I never set it to do anything different. I do have iPhoto though. I will check that out.

RON_RIP

Looks like Rocket Cowboy has the same camera as you. If you pm him perhaps he can direct you to where thes items appear in your manual and your setup menu.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
First off, I think you are probably looking at the "Owners Manual". If you also have the DVD that comes with the camera, it contains a much better manual---A "Reference Manual" At first I thought it was the same as the "Owners Manual", but it is much more in depth and is over twice the size. On page 59 of the reference manual, it tells how to set your picture saving file type.

Basically, you just have to hit the "I" button (information) and the first selection on the LCD screen is "Quality" Select it and you can change the settings to RAW, RAW +JPG N, RAW + JPG F ...

Another way to do it is to hit the Menu button and go to Shooting (Camera Symbol) and then "image Quality"

Let me say that the "Reference Manual" has been a good friend to me. HA!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Let me also add. IMHO if you are just learning the aspects of shooting pictures with your camera ie shutter priority, aperture, etc. then I would suggest learning all you can about the camera first with JPG and then shoot in RAW format later because it requires more skills to learn for processing your pictures on the computer after you have taken them. Currently I am shooting both RAW + JPG N because that way I can play with RAW processing and still feel pretty confident that I will have a decent picture in the JPG format if I can't process the RAW. Ha!

mom2nj

First off, I think you are probably looking at the "Owners Manual". If you also have the DVD that comes with the camera, it contains a much better manual---A "Reference Manual" At first I thought it was the same as the "Owners Manual", but it is much more in depth and is over twice the size. On page 59 of the reference manual, it tells how to set your picture saving file type.

Basically, you just have to hit the "I" button (information) and the first selection on the LCD screen is "Quality" Select it and you can change the settings to RAW, RAW +JPG N, RAW + JPG F ...

Another way to do it is to hit the Menu button and go to Shooting (Camera Symbol) and then "image Quality"

Let me say that the "Reference Manual" has been a good friend to me. HA!

Haha.. well, good thing you wrote this.. sure enough, there is a CD in the box . I will be sure to check it out this week. That might help me quite a bit.

aroy

what about on a mac?

The file extension is same irrespective of the OS (Mac or PC or Linux). In every OS there is an option to show file extension. If it is .jpg then you are shooting jpeg, if it is .NEF then RAW. If it is some thing else, then you have messed up the commands!

mom2nj

I am trying to figure out how to share my photos so that it shows the settings? hmmm.. I didn't like flickr. any other suggestions?

aroy

I am trying to figure out how to share my photos so that it shows the settings? hmmm.. I didn't like flickr. any other suggestions?

Depends on what software you are using to process the images and down sizing them for the WEB.

I use Capture NX-D to process and down size your images (you can also use View NX-2), and export them to jpeg (from either RAW or jpeg), the exif information is embedded and shows up; at least in this forum; when you move the mouse over the image.

Eyelight

Do you mean share an image like this?

140603_DSC_0291_LR5_001-2.jpg

Horoscope Fish

I find it easiest to simply upload them from my computer directly. This way there's no fussing with hosting the picture on Flickr or Photobucket and no hassle with getting the right link, resizing the image and all that noise.

From a new message dialog box, click on the "Insert Image" icon to get started:

Insert Image.jpg
.............Insert Image ^^

A dialog box will open. Make sure you're on the "From Computer" tab, cick on "Select Files" and navigate to the picture you want to show up in your post. Click on it to "Open" the pic and then click on "Upload File". Use "Preview Post" to make sure everything is good before submitting.

Voila!

RocketCowboy

Looks like Rocket Cowboy has the same camera as you. If you pm him perhaps he can direct you to where thes items appear in your manual and your setup menu.

Happy to help! We are just headed back home from a long weekend in Santa Fe, but I'll be back online from the mac later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

cha-CHING!!

Ok yes, that is MUCH easier.. thank you !
It sure as heck is, but it's also more expensive. See, I'm going to need you to send me $5 every time you use that option.

Baby needs new shoes and all that. You understand.

/Now accepting cash, cash and for your convenience, cold hard cash!

mom2nj

Re: cha-CHING!!

It sure as heck is, but it's also more expensive. See, I'm going to need you to send me $5 every time you use that option.

Baby needs new shoes and all that. You understand.

/Now accepting cash, cash and for your convenience, cold hard cash!

ha.. well I am happy to upload to a site and then here, feel free to give me some options ;-)