zoom lens?

mom2nj

Thank you so much again.. everyone is so helpful. And awesome suggestion about the shop. Thanks Hrstrat57 ( don't know your first name lol )

hrstrat57

Thank you so much again.. everyone is so helpful. And awesome suggestion about the shop. Thanks Hrstrat57 ( don't know your first name lol )

yw !! post how you make out and what you decide. Please also post your camera via settings and think about listing your gear in sig. I find it is always helpful on Internet camera forum to list your gear in signature. Has always helped me in the past get a more focused response to my technical questions.

good luck with it!

mom2nj

yw !! post how you make out and what you decide. Please also post your camera via settings and think about listing your gear in sig. I find it is always helpful on Internet camera forum to list your gear in signature. Has always helped me in the past get a more focused response to my technical questions.

good luck with it!

I will definitely get that in my signature soon.

aroy

By the way, did you set the Zoom at 55mm? Your image seems to be taken at the 18mm rather than at the 55mm end.

For close ups, also use the 55mm end as that will give you more magnification.

mom2nj

Ok so I feel dumb.. but I know you all are nice and won't judge too much lol... I want to put my camera info in my signature but where would i find the info? I know I have a Nikon 5300 but that is it. I got this camera about two months ago and just now am trying to learn more of the specs and stuff.. I got it and just went picture taking , getting used to it .. now I am realizing I have to LEARN more ;-) So if someone can tell me what info would be helpful to put in my signature, that would be great.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
The Camera: all is needed is that you have a D5300
Lenses: Just list the specs that are printed on them ie 18-55mm f4.5-5.6 .....

Add anything else you would like. Ha!

At least that is what I have done. Ha!

aroy

Ok so I feel dumb.. but I know you all are nice and won't judge too much lol... I want to put my camera info in my signature but where would i find the info? I know I have a Nikon 5300 but that is it. I got this camera about two months ago and just now am trying to learn more of the specs and stuff.. I got it and just went picture taking , getting used to it .. now I am realizing I have to LEARN more ;-) So if someone can tell me what info would be helpful to put in my signature, that would be great.
Your images show no exif data. What software are you using to process and reduce the size for posting in the forum? I suggest that you use View NX-2 which comes with the camera (download it from Nikon site if the CD is not there), and use it to edit and resize the images. That would preserve the exif and show when you post the images. If you are shooting in jpeg, switch to RAW and then convert them to jpeg in View NX-2. Shooting RAW will give you a lot of exposure head room, so you can recover shadows and blown highlight (to some extent only).

mom2nj

I do use the Nikon Software for any editing but I don't know what shooting in the Raw or Jpeg means? I looked in my user manual and I don't see anything?

Horoscope Fish

I do use the Nikon Software for any editing but I don't know what shooting in the Raw or Jpeg means? I looked in my user manual and I don't see anything?
Basically, they are two different file types: a JPG is much like a store bought cookie; it's handed to you ready to eat. You don't really get to decide anything about the cookie, it's already been processed and handed to you "as is". On the flip side, a RAW file is more like the basic "dough" of your photo that you can still work with and manipulate before baking them into cookies. There's more effort involved, but you get the EXACT cookie you want every time.

This article will explain the differences between RAW and JPG. Digital Photo School: RAW vs. JPG

hrstrat57

Basically, they are two different file types: a JPG is much like a store bought cookie; it's handed to you ready to eat. You don't really get to decide anything about the cookie, it's already been processed and handed to you "as is". On the flip side, a RAW file is more like the basic "dough" of your photo that you can still work with and manipulate before baking them into cookies. There's more effort involved, but you get the EXACT cookie you want every time....

Wow what a well thought out response!!

Sometimes the store bought cookie can be yummy too! Whenever I get new gear I shoot JPEG, just to dial in the gear and not think too much, learn the menus, metering as pursue good exposures.....to see if I have bought yummy cookies I guess. I am switching systems now so store bought cookies for me for the time being! The processing side of things tho can be any much of a fun filled quest as actually snapping the pics.

Horoscope Fish

Wow what a well thought out response!!

Sometimes the store bought cookie can be yummy too! Whenever I get new gear I shoot JPEG, just to dial in the gear and not think too much, learn the menus, metering as pursue good exposures.....to see if I have bought yummy cookies I guess. I am switching systems now so store bought cookies for me for the time being! The processing side of things tho can be any much of a fun filled quest as actually snapping the pics.
Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting JPG; sometimes you don't need, or even want, to tweak a shot to absolute perfection and for those shots an "off the rack" JPG delivers perfectly acceptable goods. JPG and RAW are two tools you have as a photographer and while there's a lot of elitist "snobbery" around shooting RAW (and only RAW, mind you (*elevates nose*)), there's a lot to be said for the ease and convenience of shooting JPG. I shoot a lot of RAW, I shoot a lot of JPG; when and why I shoot one over the other is up to me but they both serve me well.

WayneF

Ok then I am definitely shooting jpg.

Surely so, but in Windows, Control Panel, Folder Options,
at the tab View, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Then Windows will show you the file name. It will show SomeFileName.JPG (instead of just SomeFileName).

Then you know what you've got.

mom2nj

Surely so, but in Windows, Control Panel, Folder Options,
at the tab View, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Then Windows will show you the file name. It will show SomeFileName.JPG (instead of just SomeFileName).

Then you know what you've got.

what about on a mac?

mom2nj

cool, I will check that link out. I don't know much about a mac either.. had this for 2 years .. never again will I go mac.