Why I will buy a D700 over other cameras

Rick M

My computer is 5 years old and I have no problem with D600 files, it depends on what else you are running. It's not like all of a sudden you need twice as much ram

Bill16

Apparently my computer is 10 years old, so the comparison isn't quite equal, with your computer being half the age of mine.
But that info helps give me an idea of age vs abilities if I need to buy used. But to be honest, I'd be afraid to by used when it comes to computers, unless I was buying from someone I know and trust.

Thanks buddy for the info! :)

My computer is 5 years old and I have no problem with D600 files, it depends on what else you are running. It's not like all of a sudden you need twice as much ram

hrstrat57

Another Craigslist sale today of another Sony lens, only 2 items remain in the great partial Sony / Minolta Maxxum sell off....

D700 is imminent, likely again via KEH (unless a refurb D600 on Nikon.com USA tempts me in another direction due to price )

:greedy_dollars:

hrstrat57

Went to a wedding last night, a wedding attacked by an army of professional photographers.

All seemed to be getting great shots very creative with the lighting, all seemed well done.

One shooter with a D700 everyone else was rocking D610's:eyetwitch:.....

An interesting observation regarding something I have never quite understood about wedding photography.
The light outside was magical, it was a late afternoon/early evening wedding. Not one pro was shooting natural light all had flash guns blazing.....I crave the golden hour, blazing flash is something I just don't get......I supposed that is what people want I dunno....

Back to camera talk!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
An interesting observation regarding something I have never quite understood about wedding photography.
The light outside was magical, it was a late afternoon/early evening wedding. Not one pro was shooting natural light all had flash guns blazing.....I crave the golden hour, blazing flash is something I just don't get......I supposed that is what people want I dunno....

Back to camera talk!

There are settings that will allow the background exposure to be captured correctly while still using flash to illuminate your subject. Otherwise photographers might need to use a reflector to bounce light onto the subjects' faces during late afternoon/early evening.

hrstrat57

Yep understood but still can't figure why at least one of the four didn't stroll around with a fast lens....

re D700 talk I further cast my lot with a purchase of MB10.... One piece of Maxxum kit to go to put me over the top and completing the 2 new camera quest.

A couple bits of fast glass and a flash gun or two and will be set!

Bill16

Good move buddy!I love the Nikon MB-10 battery grip on my D300! Eventually after getting a D700 I'll try to get another one for it too! :D

Yep understood but still can't figure why at least one of the four didn't stroll around with a fast lens....

re D700 talk I further cast my lot with a purchase of MB10.... One piece of Maxxum kit to go to put me over the top and completing the 2 new camera quest.

A couple bits of fast glass and a flash gun or two and will be set!

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Nope unless the D700 is kitted with MB10 one vertical grip is enough for me.......

One more sale and it is off the KEH for my 2nd Nikon! Adorama surprisingly high on price, very close to a new D610. At their price the D610 would have to come firmly into play...A used D7000/new D610 kit would work for me as well as I have said before here......no disrespect for those cams from me! One crop cam and one full frame that is the ticket regardless of how I get there!!

My it is all coming together nicely here!!!

Bill16

I'm a grip fanatic right from the beginning! Lol I put a battery grip on every Nikon I've had! Lol so there is no doubt that when I can I'll put one on my D700 when I get it! :D

Though I love the fact that they take the same grip, so I don't have to rush to do it. I can just switch and swap as needed until I can afford a second grip and L bracket. :D

Nope unless the D700 is kitted with MB10 one vertical grip is enough for me.......

One more sale and it is off the KEH for my 2nd Nikon! Adorama surprisingly high on price, very close to a new D610. At their price the D610 would have to come firmly into play...A used D7000/new D610 kit would work for me as well as I have said before here......no disrespect for those cams from me! One crop cam and one full frame that is the ticket regardless of how I get there!!

My it is all coming together nicely here!!!

Vincent

I'm trying to get a package on a second hand web site, it includes a D700 (I really have my mind set on a Df, but that is not in my league at the moment).

The reason I can not resist is that I believe I can recuperate the price of the package by selling the D700 separate on a more photography oriented site (people still holding on to their dream of 2011). I do believe I will test how much an addition the D700 can be to my D7000, I'm not convinced from what I read and heard that the combination works, the cameras might just be too close.

Do not get me wrong, the D700 is more professionally build, FX, with good low light capabilities and has many other qualities. I'm even convinced I will like it and that it will serve large parts of my shooting style. However I have the feeling the D7000 does just more what I'm looking for (at this moment).

Anyway I'm skeptic on buying the D700 in 2014 (I think you should be), but somehow it still is a valid option for the serious hobbyist.
More to come ...

hrstrat57

If I had the D7000 I would 100% be looking to match it with a D600/610 same layout....I would not even consider the D700 in your situation.

Personally I am wobbling a bit now tho, KEH has Sony A900 down to $1000! I still have enough Maxxum kit to make the move worthwhile, including my 200 2.8 (tho it is drawing some interest on eBay) I could do the A900 right now with the cash from the mirrorless sell off. Make no mistake about it, the A900 is absolute killer tho certainly above ISO 800 it is sketchy....

If I can't get my price on the 200 2.8 the quest could stall a bit.....I still have a full quiver of killer Sony/ Maxxum glass vs. only 4 bits of Nikon AF glass

I will admit also that the power of the doubters in this thread has caused me to pause a bit.....

Probably just wobbling for no reason the Maxxum 200 2.8 APO is approaching 100 views and it's only been up 2 days.....

Patience hrstrat57, patience!!

hrstrat57

MB10 should arrive in the mail tomorrow that should ramp me back up!

Is this thread driving up the price, please anybody at KEH reading this look away I need you to lower your price not raise it!

I have seen listings for new D700's near $3500 so I think the demand is still there for old design, obsolete junk cameras......

:wink-new:

hrstrat57

Just wobbling further I took my top nick A700 out in the yard for a little shoot. What a great camera! I have still such an impressive kit of lenses all very desirable in the A mount world. The difference is auto focus....the AF on the Nikon D300 is truly magical, Nikon nailed it with this technology....the speed and accuracy of the Nikon focusing is intoxicating.....and the pro layout to control it all is superior. Since the D700 has all the same tech I expect more of the same. As I said a few weeks ago and had forgotten due to all the doubters here in this thread the amount of hits vs. misses I got with the D300 (without even truly understanding the AF) was astounding. Now I have come to master it a wee bit.

Me thinks the quest must go on the AF is just too good! If I had just bought an A900 I would probably be happy but now that I have handled a pro level Nikon rig with all the AF tech and controls on board it is hard to turn back....

I am old school, shooting since the 60's....aside from a brief "spray and pray " period when I first got the motor driven F2's (expensive blowing through all that film!) you need to understand I like keepers. The Nikon AF just delivers more keepers. The quality of the image from my existing kit is equal, in fact some of my lenses that I still have produce magic.....

Spray and pray is not for me, I like keepers!

Quest continues!

crycocyon

I do believe I will test how much an addition the D700 can be to my D7000, I'm not convinced from what I read and heard that the combination works, the cameras might just be too close.

Do not get me wrong, the D700 is more professionally build, FX, with good low light capabilities and has many other qualities. I'm even convinced I will like it and that it will serve large parts of my shooting style. However I have the feeling the D7000 does just more what I'm looking for (at this moment).

My first Nikon was a D700 and then I got my wife a D7000 which I used as a backup camera. Well, doing some comparison shots I realized that the D7000 had better pixel resolution even though I liked the depth and feel of the D700 larger format images. Even though they had what looked like more optical detail, that just wasn't being resolved digitally to the same extent as on the D7000. Further to that, the D7000 was just quicker in autofocusing, got the exposures correct every time (not the case with the D700), and so I decided to sell my D700 and get a D800 (that was two years ago). I still have the comparison shots I could post later (they are on my home computer). I agree....look to a second hand D610 (not D600). Don't get me wrong, I loved my D700 in many ways, but to me the image quality was foremost. Also, the D610 and the D7000 both have partial magnesium bodies and weather sealed so pretty much on par with the D700 in terms of build although yes the D700 is probably a bit more rugged but not by much.

Bill16

Now that I my external hard drive in use, it's more likely that I can work with the larger files of the D610. So I guess it's down to which one I can manage to get, either the D700 or the D610.
For printing photos the D610 wins hands down, and if my present to my beloved of a bird shot printed turns out great, then it may be a something else to consider when choosing.

But from a cost standpoint it still seems to be the D700 that I'll end up getting. The D600 is just too problematic for me, even if Nikon replaces shutters as long as I owned it. I don't see any other FX Nikon being doable as far as cost goes. :(

I can dream all I want that someone will sell me a great FX Nikon on payments, but that is all I can see that it will be in real life is just dreams. So cost will play a huge part in which FX Nikon model I get. :(

So I better choose to like the D700 even if it's older and doesn't have all of the things I now am thinking about being great abilities for my FX to have. :)

Vincent

It seems that some missed I did not select the D700 as the ideal camera, I will probably get it with some other material in a package too good to let go.

If I had the D7000 I would 100% be looking to match it with a D600/610 same layout

Layout would not be my main concern, I want to use different cameras for different purposes.
1) I still have a point and shoot, to point and shoot. (old system)
2) I have a very small mirrorless, for the size and the crop factor. ( I sold one old system to finance this partially)
3) I have the Nikon D7000 for a more photography approach since 1 year, still learning.
4) My issue is with low light photography, mainly for slow wildlife in the twilight. That is where I´m looking, the D700 will not be sufficient (from hearsay), I do not believe the D610 will be either.

P.S.: I think replacing the D7000 with the D4s is the ideal solution (combining 3 & 4), but I will not find it for my budget and I do not like heavy cameras at this time. So what I´m hoping for is the D9300 to be the first APS-C to be really good at high ISO, be it at 8 Mpix, but even then the price will be D610 like.

My first Nikon was a D700 and then I got my wife a D7000 which I used as a backup camera. Well, doing some comparison shots I realized that the D7000 had better pixel resolution even though I liked the depth and feel of the D700 larger format images. Even though they had what looked like more optical detail, that just wasn't being resolved digitally to the same extent as on the D7000. Further to that, the D7000 was just quicker in autofocusing, got the exposures correct every time (not the case with the D700), and so I decided to sell my D700 and get a D800 (that was two years ago). I still have the comparison shots I could post later (they are on my home computer). I agree....look to a second hand D610 (not D600). Don't get me wrong, I loved my D700 in many ways, but to me the image quality was foremost. Also, the D610 and the D7000 both have partial magnesium bodies and weather sealed so pretty much on par with the D700 in terms of build although yes the D700 is probably a bit more rugged but not by much.

Low light photography, mainly for slow wildlife in the twilight, does not require:
1) AF; generally the AF refuses in low light, so it is not my main concern.
2) to be the best in daylight. I do believe that the D7000 will be better in normal situations, so the D700 would be a second camera.
3) to be the best camera. The D800 is double the price of the package I´m looking into. The D600 is only a little bit cheaper since the D810 was announced. Nobody seems to really want the D700 anymore, so the prices are falling + offer is high since most people are replacing it with D610, D810 or D4S.
4) perfect metering. I would be working manual all the way.

What I really would need to see are pictures at ISO 12800 or ISO 25600 with a candlelight scene in a black room. That is the test I would do to see if I keep the D700 or not. From what I found I´m not convinced (D610 also lets down against the real champions in this).

For those that are pro D600/D610 against the D700:
1) Yes the D600/D610 have advantages over the D700.
2) Do those advantages justify the price increase? For the photographer that is asking the question? => so depends on the offers available and personal situation more then anything else
3) The D700 has been used professionally for years, if I could make 1 picture that approaches the best pictures made with the D700 I would be on the moon. The camera only helps a little bit in photography. I´ve seen i-phone pictures made by professionals with a quality I can not approach with any camera. => so no I do not need the D700 (that is not the conclusion I wanted to end with)

Edit: Picture to compare low light capabilities (I prefer the new dpreview tool, but it does not have the D700):
D700 High ISO.jpg
It is not real life, but it proves I really really need a D3s for what I want to do. GAS kicked in again.

Last edited: