Why I will buy a D700 over other cameras

Bill16

I wasn't referring to just the sensor, but to the whole cameras. I totally believe that the D610 has the superior sensor.
But the sensor is only one piece of a camera, though admittedly a very important piece.
And it was just curiosity anyway, since my computer is also an issue when considering a new Nikon right now. My computer will work with D700 files, but not likely with the bigger D610 files. :)
I can't likely save up enough for both a D610 and a new computer at one time. By the time I got that much saved up, the D610 maybe obsolete! Lol :p

And here is the DXO Mark comparison between the sensors of the D610 and D700. ;)

Nikon D610 versus Nikon D700 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Bill16

I'm guessing it's pretty old. My buddy Blactop gave it to me, since all I had before to use was my Motorola Xoom tablet. The laptop Blacktop gave me works with raw files, but it's slow and low memory, so file size counts.
Blactop could likely answer this question, but frankly I just don't know how old it is.

Bill, how old is your computer?

hrstrat57

I wasn't referring to just the sensor, but to the whole cameras. I totally believe that the D610 has the superior sensor.
But the sensor is only one piece of a camera, though admittedly a very important piece.
And it was just curiosity anyway, since my computer is also an issue when considering a new Nikon right now. My computer will work with D700 files, but not likely with the bigger D610 files. :)
I can't likely save up enough for both a D610 and a new computer at one time. By the time I got that much saved up, the D610 maybe obsolete! Lol :p

Good post, I have a new desktop and a jacked up macbook so computer wise I could probably handle the 24mp. Again, I think a D7100/D610 combo would be sweetness.

I am certain tho that I will be in photo nirvana with a D300/D700 kit and a couple more bits of fast glass, the F4 trilogy is on my mind but probably a long way off.

Have a lead on a cheap Nikkor AF 70-200 f2.8 VR have the Nikkor 35-70 D f2.8 which is stellar and the 50 1.4 AF D is awesome. Have the DX kit lenses for walking around with the D300 and they are astonishingly good.

Ideally I want a Nikkor 85 AF any version and probably a Nikkor Ai 28 or 24 f2.8 MF. That would hold me for quite a bit until the trilogy came into range.....meaning I completely sell off the Sony/Minolta stuff. Not quite ready to part with the rest of it yet. Love the Sony A700 (have 2) with the Maxxum glass....but I can see the day coming if the D700 is what I expect it to be! I still haven't been able to part with white magic Maxxum 200 AF APO 2.8 but realistically it needs to go...and that will add $800-$900 to the kitty.

Things are coming together I want to pay $1200 for a KEH LN D700 but the price still hovers around $1400. I might become impatient over $200.

We shall see.

Edit:

As I was typing received email from KEH!! 7% off!! That gets me to around $1300...uh oh!

Last edited:

Bill16

Getting the photography gear you need on a limited budget is hard, because if your budget is very limited the choices also become very limited. Settling for a camera that isn't your ideal choice is a given, and often settling for something less than your second choice is a must, to be manageable.
My choices are based on having both a DX and FX camera, glass that will work on both, and a feel that makes taking photos fun. I have the Nikon 1 V1 for those days when my desire to take photos combined with lack of abilities due to my disabilities. The mirrorless V1 is light and easy, so it works good for my bad days that aren't really bad, giving me more camera time than with just DSLRs. I prefer the DSLRs for the record, but having the V1 gives me more options than just the DSLRs alone.

I'm not real computer savvy, so my basis for a computer upgrade will be totally about my photography needs. I'm guessing in planning ahead the computer upgrade will centered around large files with the ability to handle larger photo files. This should allow me to have more choices of DSLR upgrade into the more up to date models.

This all takes lots of time, and so I will need to be satisfied with the D300+D700 combination. I honestly think I will love the combo, and I think it will work well for me until I can improve my combo to a more uptodate version.

But if I win the lottery (not bloody likely, since I never buy tickets lol) I'll like be buying the best combo available with lots of great lenses and a computer that will handles it all! In other words I'd upgrade everything, fast fast fast! Lol :frog:

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Ok..O.P and Bill...There is no talking you guy's out of the D700...Just keep in mind it will be difficult to find an used one that is mint and with a low shutter count..Id rather save a few more $$ and go with a new camera..Just my 2 cents..But have at it and get what you really want..(Computers that are only 1 or 2 years old can easily handle the 24MP files)...Good Luck...

hrstrat57

We agree on it all except for one thing, you view the D300/D700 combo as a compromise I view it as it has exactly where I want to be regardless of price.

i think we will both be happy with the kit being planned.

hrstrat57

Ok..O.P and Bill...There is no talking you guy's out of the D700...Just keep in mind it will be difficult to find an used one that is mint and with a low shutter count..Id rather save a few more $$ and go with a new camera..Just my 2 cents..But have at it and get what you really want..(Computers that are only 1 or 2 years old can easily handle the 24MP files)...Good Luck...

I will be patient and hop on the right deal promise!!! I have done Multiple deals with KEH so I will likely be headed there!

Bill16

I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough to say there isn't a better combo for me if money wasn't an issue. I know I love my D300, so I believe the D700 will be loved like the other side of the same coin. So with what I know and experienced the D700 should be just as great as the D300 is for me.
With unlimited money I'd be very interested in a D4s and maybe a D800e combo with the top lenses. I know the D800 does awesome macros, and the D4s has great possibilities for a variety of shots I may enjoy taking.
So am I compromising? I believe I am, but I can't say in honesty that I'm totally sure when I just don't know.
All I can do is go with what I do know and what my budget allows. So the D300 + D700 combo seems to me like a workable combo that is doable, and one that I will likely be very happy with considering that I already love the D300. :)

We agree on it all except for one thing, you view the D300/D700 combo as a compromise I view it as it has exactly where I want to be regardless of price.

i think we will both be happy with the kit being planned.