Why here instead of nikonians?

Curt

Kim, had a look at your gallery, really the pineapple shot.
I have been a member of Nikonites since it's begining , it a great forum/site.
The members here are all very nice and helpful,I to am not a member of any other forum and really enjoy the Nikonites site. So welcome and enjoy.

fotojack

Kim, I personally am very glad that you're learning here. That's the whole point of this website.....to learn and enjoy photography........and have fun doing it! Learning is so much easier and enjoyable if you're in a good mood and having fun learning what you love to do. This site strives to do both....entertain AND teach others the wonderful world of the Nikon camera, no matter the model. I hope you're a member here for many years to come, too. :) I might even see you out there taking shots, on my way to Kelowna. :) Ya never know! :)

Kim20

Photojack, You just may see me!!! I'm fortunate to not be working right now, decided to take a year off, so I am out and about often. I am going to Calgary on the 16th of this month for the Stampede. It will be my first time there, so maybe I will see YOU there! Lol maybe we could even meet up, I'm meeting my stepdaughter there, she talked me into going to (and paying for lol) the Katie Perry concert on Saturday night.

bubbaj

I didn't read all the posts and no one has posted here in a while but i figured i would add my own 2 cents. This is a good forum, i just registered here and will be lingering around reading advice and posting now and then. I do not own a DSLR yet, but plan on getting one in a few months or so. And im 95% certain it will be a nikon, canon just doesnt appeal to me.

I have a membership over at Nikonians and i would not hesitate to pay again. The amount of knowledge and resources is tremendous. I forget what it charges for memberships, but i know it wasnt much. I want to learn photography and a few bucks for a butt load of information from people who REALLY know photography( not saying people here don't) is nothing. I do recommend nikonians for whoever has a nikon and strives to learn more about photography

Browncoat

I want to learn photography and a few bucks for a butt load of information from people who REALLY know photography...
You're right in the sense that a membership to Nikonians isn't much. $25/$75/$200 per year is how they split up their different levels. There aren't many benefits at the free and $25 levels, and like most other marketing, it's designed that way for a reason. They also know only a select handful are going to opt for the Platinum membership, so the goal is the sweet spot of $75. I can think of a few different magazine subscriptions or books that would be money better spent.

Toppers

Well having tried the Nikonians site originally and introducing myself I never had a reply, still have not as far as I know and that was a few days before I joined here. Whereas as soon as I posted my intro here I got a BIG hello from every one. So I decided to stay here where I think the atomosphere is far better and if they ever decided to ask for a payment I would gladly pay.

But thats just my tuppence worth.....

My Nikonians membership expired on Monday, and they sent me a notification that I'm now a basic member instead of a Silver member. Now I'm waiting for the marketing emails to try to entice me to spend my money with them - so I can reply with a link to this thread.

I am a relative new member here BUT no one has asked me for money, tried to sell me something, or spammed me with emails. What they have done is make me feel like I was a member of a great group, answered my questions, taught me some interesting techniques for my photography and shown me some great photographs. What more could anyone want?

Lee

Hi
I'm a bit of a newbie here too but I have been made to feel right at home. I am still finding my way around, but everyone has been so warm and helpful. I actually like that it is a smaller community. I joined Nikonions in January of this year and ran the course of my basic membership. They were very helpful but I really didn't know that I would have the time to use the site enough to justify a paid membership. Both sites are a valuable resource for information, but speaking as a newcomer who has very little photography knowledge, this is less intimidating for me. I also love how quick it is here for responses to come in to a question which I am sure has something to do with the smaller member base. My only problem (or yours now :D) is that I love learning and will ask one question and the response will lead to a string of more and more questions from me. Thank you for being such good hosts and so helpful. I can see myself spending a good amount of my free time in the evenings on here. At the moment I am just enjoying reading through all the older threads and gaining some helpful information from what others have asked and the advice given. :)

fotojack

Hi
I'm a bit of a newbie here too but I have been made to feel right at home. I am still finding my way around, but everyone has been so warm and helpful. I actually like that it is a smaller community. I joined Nikonions in January of this year and ran the course of my basic membership. They were very helpful but I really didn't know that I would have the time to use the site enough to justify a paid membership. Both sites are a valuable resource for information, but speaking as a newcomer who has very little photography knowledge, this is less intimidating for me. I also love how quick it is here for responses to come in to a question which I am sure has something to do with the smaller member base. My only problem (or yours now :D) is that I love learning and will ask one question and the response will lead to a string of more and more questions from me. Thank you for being such good hosts and so helpful. I can see myself spending a good amount of my free time in the evenings on here. At the moment I am just enjoying reading through all the older threads and gaining some helpful information from what others have asked and the advice given. :)

We're all glad you like it here. It really is a unique site dealing strictly with Nikons. And yes, it is a smaller base, but we have a lot more fun AND we all learn something every time we come in here. I, personally, am addicted to this place......but that's another story. :)

You have questions? We probably have answers.....so don't be shy...ask. Isn't that the way we learn? :) But learning is doing, too, so practice, practice, practice. It WILL sink in, believe me. :)

Bear Dale

Yes Brent and I think its really relevant. When I stumbled over this thread I went and had a look over there and the forum software is still woeful 6 years later!