Why here instead of nikonians?

Oz1

I'm also a member of various sites and I think that the more informed and the more you talk to people the more you learn.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm glad everyone is finding the site useful - we are continuing to add new features and expand as much as possible without getting too cluttered. Please post any suggestions you have for the site in the feedback forum :)

Gary Bickham

I am glad I found this site...thanks to jdeg for taking the time to create a relaxed forum that you don't feel pressured. I, like most others, have been over to nikonians and it is a fine site, but I find it hard to pay for the rights to a forum when there are the free ones like this one that in time will be just as good!

Last edited by a moderator:

crasher

I was a Paid Nikonians member right up to the point where they made payment compulsory for (meaningful) site access. Then I left, just me being contrary, I guess.
There are some members there who are knowledgeable and helpful, but as noted earlier in this thread there are also plenty of sarcastic camera snobs.

kayte

what I like about you guys is that you are friendly. I have been all over and have gotten some attitude, the 'oh your new' stuff or the picky people that critcize a pic rather than give any good helpful advice or simply enjoy the photo. I also like that I now have so many people to talk to in regards to my camera and the oppurtunity to possibly get 'new to me' nikon stuff (I prefer to get good quality used stuff for my photography rather than pay new)

Nikonite1222

I totally agree with "kayte" ,,I'm tired of getting the "you don't know what your talking about" response to posts and seeking advise on Nikonians, people like that do the industry of photography a disservice by treating others that way,,,what they forget is that at one time,,,,,they were in the very same place as the people they are insulting,,,,please remember to NEVER forget where you came from and to honor those that took the time for you and pay it forward to those that are just starting out and looking for direction and knowledge.

Besides,,I get the feeling that Nikonians is more of an International kind of group. I'm more interested in what's happening in the U.S. and Canada, and keeping in touch with those who are closer.

And most of all,,,the folks here are much nicer and have the talent to offer constructive advice without adding a tone of insult or leaving you with the feeling of being talked down to.

Loving this place more and more !!!!

Nikonite1222

You're right fotojack,,,I forgot about the great white north,,,,I do love Canada and the absolutely beautiful country you luckily get to live in, (LOL). Good looking out buddy !!! One of the best things about Canada is that I can drive there, still get to "go abroad" and have amazing photo opportunities that I can't get here in Ohio !!!

Snap Happy

I totally agree with "kayte" ,,I'm tired of getting the "you don't know what your talking about" response to posts and seeking advise on Nikonians, people like that do the industry of photography a disservice by treating others that way,,,what they forget is that at one time,,,,,they were in the very same place as the people they are insulting,,,,please remember to NEVER forget where you came from and to honor those that took the time for you and pay it forward to those that are just starting out and looking for direction and knowledge.

Besides,,I get the feeling that Nikonians is more of an International kind of group. I'm more interested in what's happening in the U.S. and Canada, and keeping in touch with those who are closer.

And most of all,,,the folks here are much nicer and have the talent to offer constructive advice without adding a tone of insult or leaving you with the feeling of being talked down to.

Loving this place more and more !!!!

I have to agree :eek:

I considered joining other photo community groups. But.... you get the "I am better then you and know everything, and will correct you when I know you are wrong" attitude.

I have never liked it, I prefer to live and let live, learn and pass it on.... Life is too short to take things too seriously. :)

Enjoy!! We are here for one another.

Curt

Here is my 2 cents…lol. I believe if the group you are with is condescending, or rude, offers really no real helpful constructive criticism, why bother? That is what I like about the Nikonites, good people great site.

fotojack

You're right fotojack,,,I forgot about the great white north,,,,I do love Canada and the absolutely beautiful country you luckily get to live in, (LOL). Good looking out buddy !!! One of the best things about Canada is that I can drive there, still get to "go abroad" and have amazing photo opportunities that I can't get here in Ohio !!!

LOL.....well thanks, Dale, for the kind words about Canada. However, the term "going abroad" refers to travelling overseas. :)

theregsy

I am/was a member of Nikonians (only the free sign up) am still a member of the DPreview forums and have been a member of Myfinepix the Fuji owners site. This and the Fuji site are very similar, friendly, open and not in the slightest bit snobby. Both are friendly and seem to have a core of very experienced friendly members. I don't think that I will be bothering to go back to nikonans, it seems a bit pointless. Dp review is handy for good camera reviews and I think I will always pay them a visit for reviews and Myfinepix well as long as my S2 doesn't die then i will be keeping on there. Funny to me that the two firms that worked together so well in the early years of Digital photography have simliar sites, with personable passionate people who are willing to share there knowledge and support other users without being in any way grumpy about it :)
Its also nice to get out of the constant Canon/Nikon users flame war over at DPreview which has been joined by those who love or hate the Fuji X100 even though hardly anyone has one yet.
Let me post my questions and advice in this tranquil pool of knowledge instead :)

Last edited:

Snap Happy

It should be about the photography, the enjoyment of it and so on... Not about who has what equipment or this or that..... We share, we learn, we experiance. This is why I love photography. This is a good community to share, learn and exchange.

Equipment is a tool, a means to an end. Depending on what you want to shoot, will to some degree determine what tool you use to do the job. Saying that... It is also the person behind the camera. Skill and experience is one thing, the equipment is another part of it.

Nice to meet you theregsy :) Have fun!!

theregsy

@snap happy. I agree completely mate, it shoudln't matter if you use a D3s or a box brownie its the photogrpahy that counts. I can't say I have a lot of experience but I do occaisionally get approached through facebook or at festivals by people asking for a bit of help, be it software, camera, photography even PC related. As a fairly laid back easy going type of bloke I share what I know as much as I can. We all take photos because we enjoy doing it, we all want to improve our technique and develop our own style yes I am a bit of a techie and love new toys, shiny gadgets and things with flashing lights on as much as the next geek but the gear heads aren't in it for the love of photography they are in it to show off how much money they have, which is a bit sad really.

A mate of mine recently took his S2 pro to a friends wedding, he actually got threatened by the wedding photographer who told him in no uncertain terms that HE was the official photographer and how dare he barge in on his gig, My mate patiently explained the he was a guest and if he was spoken to like that again the 'Pro' would be ingesting his camera, and not orally. I thought it was hilarious, a Pro photographer feeling so threatened by a guest with an antique DSLR.

I always have fun when I am out with the camera, even cold, dripping wet, tired and hungry standing in a field trying to shoot a band playing music I don't like, I love the challenge to see what I can get and the excitement of looking through the 2-3000 images afterwards seeing what I have got. Am I crazy? LOL

Snap Happy

A mate of mine recently took his S2 pro to a friends wedding, he actually got threatened by the wedding photographer who told him in no uncertain terms that HE was the official photographer and how dare he barge in on his gig, My mate patiently explained the he was a guest and if he was spoken to like that again the 'Pro' would be ingesting his camera, and not orally. I thought it was hilarious, a Pro photographer feeling so threatened by a guest with an antique DSLR.

I always have fun when I am out with the camera, even cold, dripping wet, tired and hungry standing in a field trying to shoot a band playing music I don't like, I love the challenge to see what I can get and the excitement of looking through the 2-3000 images afterwards seeing what I have got. Am I crazy? LOL

LOL Yep, I have heard some stories. Sure weddings are stressful. When I started doing them in the early 1980's it was less complicated as I was working with my Photography teacher/tutor. It was fun. When I started doing them by myself I thought. "Why get stressed, just let it flow and go with it." To that extent, I always had 1 or 2 backup cameras. When I saw someone with a decent SLR I would have a chat with them for 1min... Then ask them if they would like to use my camera and "unofficially" help me out. (unpaid of course) Guess what..... They were happy to do it most of the time. Sometimes they would ask for a copy of the prints they would shoot. I gave it to them, but with the condition that if they wanted enlargements, they had to pay. :)

The benefit is that you get to cover more, and if you have people working with you instead of being in your way, it made for a better day for everyone. Though today, with OH and S (occupational health and safety) and insurance etc.. etc.. etc.. I can't do it anymore. But... I still carry some cheap cameras and like to pass them out to people that want to take snapshots. I see no harm in that. Hey, if they take better photos then me, then I am in the wrong profession. ROFLM!!!! J/K

I am semi-retired now. I still do the occasional job, though since a fall in December I have not been back to work. I still hear... "Where were you when my other relative was getting married, their wedding photographer was so overbearing, stressed and grumpy... We could have used you last time..."

Just go with the flow I say. :) No need to stress too much, it just shortens your life and makes a good day miserable. :)

theregsy

Let's show a little love for jdeg for putting this site together! :) Takes a lot of work to maintain a website. I used to be a former site admin when I was in the rc helicopter hobby awhile back. While it's also a lot of fun, it can get tedious at times. So hats off to jdeg, and of course, his great staff (ahem) here in Nikonites! ;)

I heartily agree Jack, I run my own website, have been volunteered to set up another and am about to start running a small closed forum, its like photogrpahy we do it for the love of it. But jdeg has a great site here and has attracted great members as well. So three cheers and a big THANK YOU to jdeg from me :)

Last edited:

Giovs

why here? hmm... here' my answer.. I am a beginner . I bought my camera (d3100) few weeks ago.. I know little about it and want to know some recommended lenses so I googled a question regarding the Nikkor 55 - 300 mm lens compatibility to my cam..Guess what? Google led me to this site.. Not to the Nikonians' site. .There must be a reason to that.. I just don't know what, but after reading some of the fora (including this one), I just feel happy, and "at home" with the people on this site. For a newbie like me, its a great and important thing.

I also enjoyed those tag lines of each member..(especially that of photography = prostitution, lol)..;)

Just a note: I NEVER HEARD or READ about NIKONIANS at all, not until I came to this forum..;)