Whiskeyman's March 2021 Wildlife Photo Chase

Whiskeyman

And to give the little birds a place, this Eastern Phoebe was a willing model.

Eastern Phoebe-1.jpg

WM

Whiskeyman

And this Egret was the least shy that I've ever encountered. If I were to guess, it has been fed previously by visitors to CBB. While I sat at this spot, it walked up to within about ten feet from me, and I've never been that close to a Great Egret that wasn't injured before. After a short while, this one walked the other way before taking flight.

Great Egret -1.jpg

And I'm not sure whether this is the same one posing later about 50 feet down the trail.

Great Egret -2.jpg

WM

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

The Wood Duck drake is one of nature's most beautiful creatures.

Wood Duck Drake-1.jpg

And I'm not sure what this one did, but this hen didn't seem to take it too well.

Wood Ducks-1.jpg

WM

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

What a terrific series of shots! I'm so glad this worked out for you in the end. Sounds like you had an excellent time, and you certainly took some excellent pictures. Well worth the price of that pass! I would have loved to have seen that twilight arrival of the mass of birds back to the area. Incredible. Good for you, and thanks for posting these! I really enjoyed seeing them :encouragement:

I've read back through a lot of threads and when going through this one, I realized I left out one narrativeand this is a good spot to add it in.

At one point in my trip, I was ready to stop the trip and go back home because my big event, the guided lake trip, wasn't looking like it was going to happen. My guide had spent eighteen straight full-days out on the water with clients, and as a result, his boat motor quit working and he couldn't get it fixed in a day. This meant he was going to lose a lot of charters, so he looked online for a new boat and finally found one that fit his needs a few hours away by vehicle. He went out and purchased the new boat the day of my original booking and was able to get me booked a day or two later. He now has two boats so that he shouldn't have interruptions to his schedule caused by watercraft problems. Running a business is expensive!

Whiskeyman

A last shot of the day, I believe, from the St Augustine Alligator Farm.

Last Shot-1.jpg

With an earlier shot from that day... Also from the Alligator Farm.

Roseate Spoonbill In Flight-1.jpg

Last edited: