Whiskeyman's March 2021 Wildlife Photo Chase

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks, Cindy! I now realize that the images I'm processing in LR on my iMac aren't including EXIF data, while the photos I posted with my laptop do. I've got some settings to change somewhere in LR on my iMac!

How's this?

View attachment 353797

WM

A couple of shots of Great Blue Herons (maybe the same one) hunting from behind cover and from shore.

View attachment 353800

View attachment 353801

WM

That's strange. The first quote displays fine with the EXIF. But on my end, the second quote only states Attachment 353800 and Attachment 353801 without displaying any image. Yet when I preview what I'm writing here, those two attachments show the images. Not sure what's going on with that.

EDIT: Yet when I submitted my post, your quotes are back to just listing them as attachments.

Whiskeyman

Wood Duck-1.jpg

Whiskeyman

That's strange. The first quote displays fine with the EXIF. But on my end, the second quote only states Attachment 353800 and Attachment 353801 without displaying any image. Yet when I preview what I'm writing here, those two attachments show the images. Not sure what's going on with that.

EDIT: Yet when I submitted my post, your quotes are back to just listing them as attachments.

They are doing the same for me. Reposting together did not remedy the issue, either. When I opened the post to edit it, it did display the image, only to return to text when saved.

So I've just posted each image on its own in a single post. Let's see how that works.

WM

Whiskeyman

Your EXIF isn't displaying, Wayne, so no way for us tell which body you used. Looks like you had some fun out there! :)

And by the way, I did have fun out there! There was some frustration, too, but overall it was a very positive experience. I learned a lot about myself and about got some shooting location information updates, as I've mentioned early in this thread. I do need to raise my photography game so that when I can retire from my day job, I can fill in for the guide I went out with. He spent at least 18 days straight out on the water, along with another business, and he needs to not work at that pace. I think he has someone else in mind to help him out in the future, but I want to put myself into position to be "that guy" when the time arrives.

Wayne

Whiskeyman

I never realized that ducks would eat acorns, but watched two Hooded Mergansers dive for and eat many of them at Tuscawilla Park in Ocala, Florida.

Hooded Merganser with Acorn-1.jpg

This shot is heavily cropped!

WM

Whiskeyman

And now, friends, I pull a rabbit out of a hat!!

Yep, I got to work on time the first day back after a week of vacation and also the first work day of Daylight Savings Time!

Vacation couldn't last forever....:p

WM

Whiskeyman

This is amazing! :encouragement: So how is the weight of that lens while hiking?

Thank you, Cindy!

It was a bit heavy, especially as it was attached to my tripod when I walked around. However, this was taken at the St Augustine Alligator Farm where I didn't have to walk very far. I just walked out to the rookery, about 30-40 yards, set up on the board walk, surveyed the location and chose where I wanted to start shooting, and then did so. After I started, I never moved more than 25-30 feet at a time. It was really easy, actually, but standing as much as I did got bothersome, especially since I'm overweight.

On the day I visited the Circle-B-Bar Reserve, I had the 500mm f/4 (much heavier) on the D500 attached to the same tripod. For that day, I had a modified baby stroller holding my gear whenever I had to move more than about five yards. The stroller held all of my gear quite nicely and securely, but I remained very careful all day. Without the stoller, I could not have carried as much as I did (tripod, 2 cameras, 500mm f/4, 300mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses), nor could I have walked as much as I did. I also carried a folding camp chair out on the trail with me, and that was very nice to have.

When I was out on the boat, it was a non-issue, other than figuring where to put a camera and lens when I wasn't using it.

Wayne

Whiskeyman

I'm going through files from my trip, again. This Tricolor Heron photo is from Alligator Alley at Circle-B. Or is it a Little Blue Heron?

Little Blue Heron-1.jpg

WM

Last edited: