What are your OTHER interests?

Carolina Photo Guy

The real reason is that Firefox has a much smaller footprint, uses far fewer resources and allows uploads from your desktop. Whenever you have photos to upload, just drag the folder to the desktop, upload and then replace the folder back in its original location.
Perfect for an aging Dell laptop like Joe has.

Pete

jcottone45

Hi Pete, I am using mozilla firefox now & this old beast still won't accept uploads/downloads/upgrades. About the only thing this will let me do is just what I am doing ( I have the sledge hammer sitting next to me) the only reason its still alive is I have no replacement for it.
I sent the administrator of this site a few pictures taken during WWII of the invasion of Makin Island Nov 1943.
I had no choice, this beast won't let me post pictures to this site.I happened to be talking to ohkphoto & she asked to see the pictures, so if you can pull a few strings & get the administrator to post them anywhere he wants that she can view them I'd appreciate it.
The pictures are in damn good condition after sitting in a dresser draw for 60 odd years, I scanned them into this beast so they're in for good now,when this beast lets me scan more pictures in again I'll be glad to share them too.
I didn't know that they had so small a size pictures back then the pictures are all about 2 inch square in size all b/w & they are very interesting,my uncle was a damn good photographer to take such clear pictures at the height of the battle he was engaged in.!!!

Carolina Photo Guy

Well, thats all I got unless you want to reformat, reload and unburden all of the bloatware. Maxxing out the ram and a larger HD would also be my suggestion. I am NOT a fan of continually replacing equipment. As a matter of fact, my Nikon is a D70, and this computer that I am on is an Apple Cube, built back in 2000. Still has the original 450MHZ processor, Apple Pro Keyboard and the original Pro Mouse.
If I had your Dell in front of me, I KNOW I could speed it back up.
I am just cheap as hell.

I also have an Apple Aluminum iMac for my other surfing. My Cube is my dedicated photo workhorse with Photoshop 7 in use.

Besides, dont be so quick to beat the Dell flat. Donate it to someone that does not have a computer.
Try giving something back. You will be surprised at how quickly it comes back around.

Pete

jcottone45

Thanks for the advise Pete, I asked that question to the IT guy in my office & he said it would probably cost $ 350 to 450 to put all the new software & ram whatever that means, plus a new battery in the beast but I see a new laptop with all the latest updates will cost about $ 100 more.
My son wants to do the upgrades & replace the software.
He told me that this laptop has windows xp media center edition version 2002 service pak 3, so he will do the complete overhaul to windows 7 & upgrade the ram too. It will just take him time which he never seems to have enough of, so I guess my choice is clear go to the IT guy in the office or wait till jr has the time.!!!
Again I want to thank you for your input I appreciate it.

Ruidoso Bill

Firefox > Internet Explorer. Your overall browsing experience will be much better with it than IE. Good idea!

Actually, I do most of my web browsing with Opera and I am running Linux "Ubuntu" on this partition. No chance of infection, runs fast as the dickens and never crashes, about and in some was similar to a mac. I run windows for all my editing sofware. Dual boot machines rule.

Ruidoso Bill

I can also run firefox under linux, just don't care for it as much. Opera even alows you to download and burn iso's direct from your browser, pretty neat feat

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

PS I put the sledge hammer away for another time.!!

Most of the laptops you can press a key or two and it will restore the computer to the original factory configuration. It does wipe the hard drive but if you have your pictures and data backed up and you have disks for the additional software you added it is a smart way to speed them up and make them run like new again. Windows has always had issues with building (Bloating) up junk that slows it down. What model dell laptop do you have? I can check and see what the procedure would be for your machine.

AfterImage

Other interests... yikes... so many to choose from. Been into motorcycles, road racing, astronomy, cosmology, target shooting (not hunting, never shot anything without a pre-printed bull's eye on it! Ok, maybe a tin can or the occasional watermelon), painting, music/song writing, web design, plastic models building.... etc etc etc. Yeah, even my wife has a hard time keeping track ;)

AfterImage

Ah yes, I forgot about my coin collection. Started when I was a little kid so I have a pretty big chest of neat and old coins. One dates back to 1763 if I remember correctly. I'll have to pull them out again :)

naja

Well firstly one thing that might not be appreciated in US and many other countries - I love cricket!!!

i also like railways and model railways.

I also love motor cycles and have done motor cycle photographic trips around Uk with £10,000 ($15,000) strapped on the back of the bike with rubber bungee straps. It was a fantastic time.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Nice to see you sharing a little of yourself, Naja

motor cycle photographic trips around Uk with £10,000 ($15,000) strapped on the back of the bike with rubber bungee str

And you lived to tell about it ??!! Would love to hear more!

Best Regards

naja

Motor cycle trip 02.jpgMotor cycle trip.jpg

Just to show how I travelled. I stopped at Bed and Breakfast each evening and that bag on the back of the bike had £10,000 ($15,000) worth of equipment in it.

kayte

I enjoy learning and reading and anything about horses. I don't have my own as of yet and don't have the funds or the time with 2 young kids to take lessons but I know in time that will change. I watch as much as I can on tv as well getting out to horse shows when I can.

My other interests, more a recent one, would be Dachshunds- we bought one last year and I love them so much, they are such amazing dogs. Juno is a great companion when my husband, who's in training with Canadian Forces, is away at base (well besides my children of course!)

I used to sketch but photography has been eclisped by that for many reasons and I did have a short lived interest in writing but I just never really persued either.

jengajoh

My other interests include painting too. I like abstract art, usually acrylic on canvas. I also love music and going to concerts. In the spring/ summer I like to garden. I like to just hang out with my friends, we have a trivia team and play every Tuesday at a bar/ restaurant, we do OK. I am also interested in interior decorating. My house is pretty colorful. I like to read as well, some of my favorite authors are Kurt Vonnegut, Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Robbins..
Here a few of my paintings.

this is my dining room wall:
Artwall1.JPG

This one is above our bed:
greens.jpg

I like to add texture too:
texture.jpg

theregsy

Build, fiddle with and break IT, have built systems, flirted with Linux, now content with Windows 7, between 2 of us we own 7 laptops and a desktop PC (really please don't ask! LOL) I am a fan of music but discovered after trying to learn to play guitar I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, so attending gigs and doing photos and video is as close as I'll get. I do enjoy snuggling down with a good book, I like rock music in its many different guises but love older Rock N Roll and even some country, although Johnny Cash transcends boundaries. I grew up with dad loving motorcycles and aircraft, now I don't drive but I do have a bike and I can still annoy my wife by identifying most things that zoom overhead. We both love to travel and see new things, Chitzen Itza is still one of the most interesting places I have been. I have been involved with some odd things over the years, Steam railways, shooting (target), flying (I was an Air Cadet) and living on the doorstep of the Lake District there is no more beautiful place in the world (I admit there are places as beautiful but non more so LOL)I cook a bit and occasionally build websites. That's about it, nothing exciting I am afraid, nearly all of our spare time seems to be spent either recovering from, preparing for or being at a festival or gig. Its a hard life :) LOL

Last edited by a moderator: