What am I doing right and wrong?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Now, I've noticed that you can take a photo that is totally focused on the subject and everything else is kind of blurred and you can take a photo that the back ground is in focus as well as the subject. What are the settings between the two? In general.

Google "Depth of field" and "f-stops". There is plenty of information out there. Or better, buy a book about basic photography. You can probably get the Time-life photography encyclopedia for about 5$ in a second hand bookshop.

You'll have to take time to learn.

KWJams

Aperture size. Basically, say you take a picture of a motorcycle parked 10 feet away with a small aperture like f/22. That would give you a picture of the bike in focus plus a background depth of field (DOF) to infinity, while a large aperture, like f/2.8, gives you a shallow DOF of the bike in focus and a blurry background which gives the photo depth / dimension.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxie

Aperture size. Basically, say you take a picture of a motorcycle parked 10 feet away with a small aperture like f/22. That would give you a picture of the bike in focus plus a background depth of field (DOF) to infinity while a large aperture like f/2.8 gives you a swallow DOF of the bike in focus and a blurry background which gives the photo depth / dimension.

This is something that is giving me a bit of a hard time to grasp. I don't understand how a higher number equals a smaller aperture. What does that number mean?

KWJams

It worked for me
Understanding_aperture_f_stop_chart.jpg

fotojack

I think this one would be even better, Maxie. Either one will work. :) You might even want to print this out and keep it in your camera bag for future reference.

img001.jpg

fotojack

It works for Ken, and it opens for me, Jeff. Must be something on your end. :) Anyway....post #52 should do the trick for her.

Maxie

I got it, thanks... The first one didn't work the the last one did. Great info!

I got both, the one from Jack and the one from KW.

Maxie

Btw, you have no idea how excited I am. I have a good chance getting a Sigma 150-500mm lens!!! It's only 4 months old.

Maxie

I think this one would be even better, Maxie. Either one will work. :) You might even want to print this out and keep it in your camera bag for future reference.

View attachment 21781

That is absolutely fantastic Jack and much easier to understand then Wiki. I've been in a kind of limbo waiting on the new Sigma lens. Should be here tomorrow according to the shipping tracking number.

I've been looking at some youtube videos on the Sigma 150-500mm lens and it really looks great. My main focus is shooting with a zoom lens. However, I've been playing around with the 18-55mm lens and seeing what the difference is between the settings and slowly learning quite a bit.

However, it's going to take me a bit more time and writing down my settings is going to be the key as it seems. I don't remember what they were by the time I upload them to the computer and review the photos. Are there any other tricks you guys use, in addition to writing the settings down in order to remember what you did later on and make it stick in your head?

Thanks guys! One thing about this site is, I always get great answers. So much knowledge, truly amazing the talent in here.

Max

KWJams

I am fighting a head cold right now so I may not be making sense after the NyQuil --- Look at the EXIf information on a picture and that will tell you everything you need to know about settings used.
Just can't think of what the easiest way to do that? Right click -- properties or open in editing program and look at exif data....?