Way off topic! lol :)

Lawrence

To those of you who have quit, did you quit when you ran out of cigarettes? Or did you quit while you still had plenty of cigarettes left?
If I do this which do you recommend? To quit really soon with several cartons still left? Or wait till they are gone? Or lastly and the hardest, to throw them away in the garbage out side?

And just to add a twist, my birthday is tomorrow. I'll be 48 by the way.

Mate you are off to a flying start towards that camera ….

Sell all your cigarettes and that is your first deposit in the jar. Have you washed the jar out yet and prepared it or have you just been buggering around here telling us why you believe you can't or will find it hard. Wash the jar - you have already had your last cigarettes and look how long ago that was.

Crazy as it sounds when I stopped I kept a packet in my pocket but only to strengthen my resolve not to have one. Nuts huh - but it worked for me.

Lawrence

I'm curious how long before it starts getting easier. This first forty minutes have not been easy. Though I know I've went longer without too much of a issue, it's not the same when you know your doing it to quit though. Damn that nicotine anyway. Grrrr!

It starts getting better the SECOND you make up your mind to do it.

By the second second you have double the time.

You're already on 40 minutes.

Yay Bill no longer smokes, his own health is improving already, his missus will be proud (and benefit) of him and he is looking through the Nikon catalogue!

Bill16

That is awesome! I really admire that in you buddy! :)

One big positive side effect next to many others is that I put every month about 100 US$ in the piggy bank of my daughter until today. Over the more than 8 years she got about 10,000 US$ in her account only from my Cigarettes money. One day she will be very happy that I was smoking :D

Bill16

I've made it to the 2 hour mark now buddy. :) I don't have anyone to sell the cigarettes to. I only have a couple people I know here. One is a friend that doesn't smoke, and the other is a neighbor that smokes a pipe I hear.
I don't have any money to put in a jar. Lol :)

It starts getting better the SECOND you make up your mind to do it.

By the second second you have double the time.

You're already on 40 minutes.

Yay Bill no longer smokes, his own health is improving already, his missus will be proud (and benefit) of him and he is looking through the Nikon catalogue!

dmc

I vote quit smoking. Just throw out all your smoking gear and quit. In six weeks you'll start to feel a lot better. Sorry, but it is the best for you and your family. I feel for you, I quit 10 times over 30 years before it stuck, but now, 20 years later I can't figure why I ever started. It's hard to quit, but quit.

Bill16

I have. :) I've been smoke free for 2 and 1/2 hours. I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm working hard at it. :D

I vote quit smoking. Just throw out all your smoking gear and quit. In six weeks you'll start to feel a lot better. Sorry, but it is the best for you and your family. I feel for you, I quit 10 times over 30 years before it stuck, but now, 20 years later I can't figure why I ever started. It's hard to quit, but quit.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm curious how long before it starts getting easier. This first forty minutes have not been easy. Though I know I've went longer without too much of a issue, it's not the same when you know your doing it to quit though. Damn that nicotine anyway. Grrrr!

I'll give you a few tricks to make your journey easier.

The main thing is you have to do when the craving starts is react. You've got to do something right at that moment. The first thing to do is conscientiously take deep breaths, start with one, two, three. Relax, go and brush your teeth. Benefits won't take long, you'll start smelling and tasting food like you won't believe. The first days will be the hardest, but after a week it really gets easier.

One day at a time, we are with you on this Bill. Keep breathing.

Bill16

Thanks buddy! I've hit the 3 hour mark now, and I only have an hour or so before I head off to bed. :)

I'll give you a few tricks to make your journey easier.

The main thing is you have to do when the craving starts is react. You've got to do something right at that moment. The first thing to do is conscientiously take deep breaths, start with one, two, three. Relax, go and brush your teeth. Benefits won't take long, you'll start smelling and tasting food like you won't believe. The first days will be the hardest, but after a week it really gets easier.

One day at a time, we are with you on this Bill. Keep breathing.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks buddy! I've hit the 3 hour mark now, and I only have an hour or so before I head off to bed. :)

But don't worry if sleep isn't as restful as usual the first few nights. It's just normal withdrawal syndrome. You'll be back to normal in no time. Good night.

Bill16

I have sleep issues anyway and can take a sleeping pill. :) I never feel like I got a good nights rest. Lol :)

But don't worry if sleep isn't as restful as usual the first few nights. It's just normal withdrawal syndrome. You'll be back to normal in no time. Good night.

I quit smoking about 15 years ago after smoking 2 packs a day for 25 years. I used a drug called Welbutrin (Zyban) and it was the best thing I have ever done. Good luck no matter how you do it.

kevy73

Stop saying quit. You aren't quitting anything. You are gaining freedom.

I ran out of ciggies 8 years ago. I was just too lazy to buy more. That is how it started for me - get rid of the 'quit' word - subconsciously makes you you think you are missing out on something- but truth be known you are gaining WAY more than you are quitting.

You can do it. Just believe in yourself.

Blade Canyon

Saw a good tip recently: change your main passwords to smokefree4ever or healthylung$now or neveragain or something similar. If you have to type that every time you log on to your PC, it's supposed to help a lot with smoking or whatever other behavior you want to change.

Deleted

@Bill16

We're proud of you. I'm supposing that you're in bed right now, maybe trying to sleep. The morning will be difficult. Try to change your routine a little, that way it's easier to break an automatic habit. Have toast instead of cereal, have coffee at a different time. Switch to espresso, just change the routine.

You are doing this for love. Love is the best thing in the world. When you have a craving think of the love of your life. Think of when you first met, think of the great times you've had together. Check out old photos.

You can get patches to help with the chemical reactions. Love can help with the rest.

aroy

My elder son quit two years ago but has taken up chewing gum instead.

My younger son tried to leave. He took up e-cig and nicotine gum. He is now on all the three.

I smoke about 20 a day. Never tried leaving.

What I feel is that if you want to leave, stop it immediately and do not try any substitute. It rarely works.

Bill16

Well my friends, I got through the first hour so far this morning! I will need to holdout till 7:30 pm tonight and I will have completed a whole day. :)
It seems just as hard this morning as when I first started this cigarette free life! But I'm managing, so far so good! :)

Blade Canyon

Take deep breaths. Wave your hands around and breath in as if you are smoking an imaginary cigarette. I quit many years ago, but I remember that deep breathing produces some of the calm and relaxation that you associate with the cigarette, but really it's the breathing.

Tomorrow you will wake up feeling very rested, for the first time in years.

Bill16

Thanks buddy! I'll give that a try, though I'm not sure about the waving my hands around part! Lol But thinking about it made me laugh at how funny I can picture myself looking ! Lol :D

Take deep breaths. Wave your hands around and breath in as if you are smoking an imaginary cigarette. I quit many years ago, but I remember that deep breathing produces some of the calm and relaxation that you associate with the cigarette, but really it's the breathing.

Tomorrow you will wake up feeling very rested, for the first time in years.