Way off topic! lol :)

Bill16

Your right. And that was why I tried to quit a month ago.:(

On another note. And I don't mean to hurt your feelings Bill. But, with you smoking anything right now when she has just quit you are making it tougher on her. Unless you plan to do it away from her sight. I know how hard it is to quit. I was a two pack a day man for 25 years. I quit 14 years ago.

Bill16

The only chance that I might be able to quit cold turkey, is if I had a goal that I could see like a new Nikon. I'll talk to my love tomorrow and see if that is even possible, and if she will agree to it. I suck at cutting down on anything, like Pepsi,sugar in my tea, hamburger, ice cream when it's here, and frappaccino's lately just to name a few. I either quit or switch or something, but cutting down is a lost battle I've fought many many times over.
Man this sucks. But logically I know your right my friends.
Also if I do it, I have to do it before she comes home, so she doesn't have to deal with me being really cranky. No matter what, she comes first, and I can't make things harder for her period!

Michael J.

I once thought, after chain smoking, I never could stop. But since 8 years, not one cigarette has ever been in my mouth or hands. Sometimes I think of it, but this are just few seconds. I am proud of myself that I've got over it.

And if I was able to quit smoking you Bill can do it too. Don't let the cigarettes control you

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Go cold turkey Bill, it's a decision you will NEVER regret and will forever applaud.
It's not that hard if you first start by taking it one hour at a time. Just push the first cigarette one hour, then another hour, then a day. I think it's the only way. By trying to decide to quit forever, you open the pandora box that will make you doubt about yourself and first thing you know, you will have convinced yourself that you can't do it. But one hour a a time can be done and if the hour gets too long, just go for five minutes at a time.

All my Nikon stuff, 3 bodies 18 lenses, were bought with nicotine money that I never burned. Let this be the incentive and be ready to accept the first few days of bad tempering. I think the craving and the roughness only lasts about 2-3 days anyway.

Best of luck as I'm certain you can and will do it, for your love first and for your love of a new Nikon second.

GO for it!

Bill16

To those of you who have quit, did you quit when you ran out of cigarettes? Or did you quit while you still had plenty of cigarettes left?
If I do this which do you recommend? To quit really soon with several cartons still left? Or wait till they are gone? Or lastly and the hardest, to throw them away in the garbage out side?

And just to add a twist, my birthday is tomorrow. I'll be 48 by the way.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
To those of you who have quit, did you quit when you ran out of cigarettes? Or did you quit while you still had plenty of cigarettes left?
If I do this which do you recommend? To quit really soon with several cartons still left? Or wait till they are gone? Or lastly and the hardest, to throw them away in the garbage out side?

Just give them to someone you don't like. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am in no position to judge since I never smoke cigarettes in my life. I tried convincing my Dad (80 years old) but I was not successful. He has been smoking since he was a teenager. I call it a loss cause. No incentive for him to quit now. Whatever makes him happy I guess.

Michael J.

On 31 of July, 2005, at 08.30 p.m., this was just the end of my office working day. The evening was peaceful. I went to a nearby 7/11 and bought 4 boxes of Marlboro (red hard box), cause I was afraid that I will run out of cigarettes for the night.
Next Morning, at six o'clock, I served myself a nice cup of hot coffee and pulled out a cigarette, the new Big Lighter, which I bought as well, in my right hand. I looked at the cigarette and the lighter and said out loud: "Noway that I am giving you any chance anymore to control my quality of life".
I went in front of my house, where my neighbor was watering his plants, and gave all my cigarettes left, 3 and a half boxes, the lighter, and my very beautiful ashtray to my neighbor, who was surprised but thankful.

Bill16

That is soooo awesome buddy! Wow! :frog:

On 31 of July, 2005, at 08.30 p.m., this was just the end of my office working day. The evening was peaceful. I went to a nearby 7/11 and bought 4 boxes of Marlboro (red hard box), cause I was afraid that I will run out of cigarettes for the night.
Next Morning, at six o'clock, I served myself a nice cup of hot coffee and pulled out a cigarette, the new Big Lighter, which I bought as well, in my right hand. I looked at the cigarette and the lighter and said out loud: "Noway that I am giving you any chance anymore to control my quality of life".
I went in front of my house, where my neighbor was watering his plants, and gave all my cigarettes left, 3 and a half boxes, the lighter, and my very beautiful ashtray to my neighbor, who was surprised but thankful.

weebee

The first thing you have to do is look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you can do it. You must have a positive mind set that you want to. Nobody can convince you, even your wife. That has to be your goal. When I quit I took Zyban but had to stop taking it after two weeks because of weird dreams. But that was long enough to get me over the first hump. You'll never stop thinking about cigs. But the thoughts go away quicker as time goes by. You'll be amazed at how you feel even after a couple of months after quitting.

Bill16

I'm curious how long before it starts getting easier. This first forty minutes have not been easy. Though I know I've went longer without too much of a issue, it's not the same when you know your doing it to quit though. Damn that nicotine anyway. Grrrr!

weebee

Since I didn't quit cold turkey I can't say. But after a few days it was easier. But I was taking medication to help. I honestly don't think I could have quit cold turkey. I was hooked hard. There's no shame in looking for help.

Michael J.

I'm curious how long before it starts getting easier. This first forty minutes have not been easy. Though I know I've went longer without too much of a issue, it's not the same when you know your doing it to quit though. Damn that nicotine anyway. Grrrr!

I guess my body was full with nicotine from smoking almost 30 years, the first 3 weeks I haven't any problems at all. After that about 4-5 month, I was gaining weight cos of eating attacks, ( I went from 62 kg up to 99 kg ) sweating at nights in bed and my mood went up and down, it was a great fresh feeling. 9 month ago I started the new challenging, cos I knew that I have the will power already, losing weight by doing some exercise, and stopping eating when I am full. I lost 22 kg. Today I am at 77 kg by a height of 179cms.

Not smoking anymore, not too much weight, and knowing that I can do more then I thought I am able to do, makes me feel good.

Bill16

I'm not ashamed to look for help buddy. :) I just can't risk the meds with my depression issue. They can be very dangerous for those of us with mental illness, and can cause extremely suicidal reactions to the meds.
No I'm going cold turkey, because I don't have anyone here to watch that I don't become suicidal. :)
Since I didn't quit cold turkey I can't say. But after a few days it was easier. But I was taking medication to help. I honestly don't think I could have quit cold turkey. I was hooked hard. There's no shame in looking for help.

Michael J.

I wanna ad something what I think it is important. I tried many years ago and told my friends and family that I start to quit smoking. I will never to it again tell anyone again. This was so hard, cos they asked me every time they saw me how it is going.

When I quit smoking 8 years ago, I didn't tell anyone. Even my wife didn't first realize it. When friend me offered a cigarette I told them that I feel not well and don't want smoking now. After 3 weeks I told them and that was the right time.

As same I didn't tell anyone that I am loosing my weight. I just told them that I am not hungry when they offered me something. Now I eat everything I want and I am full fast.

Bill16

I've been smoking 20years or so and chewed before that for several years. Yes I am very addicted, but I'm running out of choices. I want and need to do something now, before my love comes home and I inflict this on her. I never really had the desire to quit, and I never lost my enjoyment from smoking. Yes this is extremely hard for me, and I'm praying that I don't fold again like a......................

Bill16

I'm telling you all because doing it in secret gives me a chance to go back to smoking without embarrassment. I'm hoping my fear of being embarrassed will help me hold true to my effort. It won't stop me from smoking, but it is an extra reason to try as hard as I can.

I've now been without smoking for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Still very hard going!

I wanna ad something what I think it is important. I tried many years ago and told my friends and family that I start to quit smoking. I will never to it again tell anyone again. This was so hard, cos they asked me every time they saw me how it is going.

When I quit smoking 8 years ago, I didn't tell anyone. Even my wife didn't first realize it. When friend me offered a cigarette I told them that I feel not well and don't want smoking now. After 3 weeks I told them and that was the right time.

As same I didn't tell anyone that I am loosing my weight. I just told them that I am not hungry when they offered me something. Now I eat everything I want and I am full fast.

Michael J.

One big positive side effect next to many others is that I put every month about 100 US$ in the piggy bank of my daughter until today. Over the more than 8 years she got about 10,000 US$ in her account only from my Cigarettes money. One day she will be very happy that I was smoking :D