"Voyeur" Photographer Lawsuit

Dave_W

The Dude
I dont think there is a sure way of doing it.however carefully you do it there embarrassment could turn to anger.

mike

Me, either. We've thought about leaving a note but the only house that would be able to see in her window is ours so there's no chance of being anonymous. Interestingly, she's been away most the summer and just returned a few days ago and I'm sorry to say her habits have not changed a bit.

Whiskeyman

If possible, invite the parents over for a social visit around the time their daughter does this and place the parents so that they have a view of the situation. Sit with your backs to their residence, and you shouldn't have to say a thing.

WM

Kodiak

I'm not calling you, nor anyone else, perverted, twisted or wicked; or anything else for that matter. WM

Of course not WM! For the purpose of this discussion, I am reflecting on me
and putting down as much of the situations discomforts I may grab.

I did not feel threatened by you or anyone yet. This is a discussion that is rarely
spoken out! =)

The next post by Dave is a good example!

can't think of a way to mention it to them without sounding weird.

As her father, I would like to know about this. Her safety would be my greatest concern!

On the other hand, as a sidewalk user, you get access to images that are usually
restricted. Your awareness of this makes you fell bad because you are afraid of
what will be thought of you! …legitimate!

How will you feel, at breakfast time with your wife, to hear that somebody less
scrupulous took advantage of this situation with horrible consequences!

Come on! Go talk to the father …or wait maybe for bad news at breakfast.
As her father, I would be grateful, not blameful!

On the subject voyeurs, I have a problem that is a tough one. Because my wife and I smoke (yeah, I know. A habit I picked up about 4 yrs ago. I waited until my late 40's to start smoking...sad, isn't it?) so we go outside several times a night to smoke because smoking in the house is nearly as gross as smoking. Well, just across the way from us lives a young couple with a ~16 yr old daughter who likes to take a shower at night and then stand in her room fixing her hair (or whatever), sans her towel and with her blinds open and the light on. As much as I would like to inform her parents or even her, I can't come up with a way to tell them without sounding like a creepy old man. Talking with my wife, even she can't think of a way to mention it to them without sounding weird.

First off

QUIT SMOKING

Have your wife have a private conversation with the girl's mother and tell her that you could not help but notice and that with the way the world is now it might be a good idea to have the girl close the blinds while getting ready for bed.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I knew a lab manager in a mall shop that had a display window near the automated printer. They always kept a lab coat ready to cover up the photos if need be.

At my B-I-L's wedding, there were disposable cameras on every table for the guests to take candid shots at the reception. Needless to say, several photos were taken that shocked the bride's parents. When they asked my F-I-L what to do about it, he suggested a novel approach to take care of it. They followed his advice and used items of clothing in those shots to match other photos taken during the reception. . . ..

​What the h*ll went on at this wedding?

Whiskeyman

​What the h*ll went on at this wedding?

You see, this is a point: OUR CURIOSITY! …as long as it is someone else's wedding!

I am not pointing at Hélène but just recognizing a point for the purpose of the discussion.

Ok, fair enough. Several of the guests thought it would be funny to take photos of their genitalia. Most likely because they knew it would shock the bride's parents, who are very religious and conservative. From what I heard, they at least had the decency to take the photos within the confines of the bathrooms.
I believe it ended up with a lot more people shocked than the bride's parents. I remember how pissed off my father-in-law was about it.
Apparently, this happened a lot with this situation at other weddings, as well.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Ime one of the most curious (insert nosey ) people around but my personnel standards would not allow me to stand and look through some ones window or take pictures,at the end of the day there can never be a unanimous conclusion to a thread like this,its like paparazzi pictures each incident has to be judged on that situation and if the subject could reasonably expect privacy where the picture was taken.
Giving away too much info now but my wife and i like naturist beaches i expect some one will take our picture but thats more sad than any thing my wife is 60 and ime nearly 65,i take our camera but do not include any other naturists in my pictures.

mike

ohkphoto

Snow White
Ok, fair enough. Several of the guests thought it would be funny to take photos of their genitalia. Most likely because they knew it would shock the bride's parents, who are very religious and conservative. From what I heard, they at least had the decency to take the photos within the confines of the bathrooms.
I believe it ended up with a lot more people shocked than the bride's parents. I remember how pissed off my father-in-law was about it.

OMG THIS I was NOT expecting! ::what:: I am speechless . . . . I know, I know, very rare!!

ohkphoto

Snow White
Well, you asked for it!

I imagine you… your face turning red and a hand before your mouth… =} …you asked for it!

LOL . . . yes I did. But I'm not the one who is embarrassed! it would have served them right if the parents had published those photos with the caption, "Does anyone recognize these parts?" At least now I understand the "clothing" part of WM's post.

A couple of weeks ago I heard my three little dogs barking their little heads off at 1 in the morning. I was not in bed yet so I picked up my 9mm and walked out in the back yard. I saw them looking in between my house the the next neighbors house. I walked over and their was someone peeping in the neighbors bathroom window. When I racked the slide on the 9mm he decided to leave in a big hurry.

Now that is a pervert. Lucky I did not have a window on that side of the house.

mikew_RIP

Apparently, this happened a lot with this situation at other weddings, as well.

Cant wifes be nasty,telling my wife about this she thought it was funny,i said couldn't do it myself i would need a wide angle lens;) she said no a macro ::what:: why do i love her.

mike

RockyNH_RIP

I admit to taking lots of photos of people at public places/events, for example my recent people of the dog park and the ball game. If I am in the park, see an image of a guitar player at a tree, I would ask as I want to get closer and get a certain image ... Children, not at all unless it is a accident, am invited by the parents or they are just part of an overall scene.

I do not, would not will not photo anyone through there window or even in their yard... I would not want anyone doing the the same to me...

Pat in NH

carguy

This reminds me of the initial outrage about Google street view. People were photographed in their yards, through their windows, standing in front of strip clubs, etc. My neighbor was out gardening and she was caught bending over with her backside pointed straight at the truck cameras. Still, all of the Google images were taken from the public roadway.

If you want to make it illegal to photo/video children without the parents' permission, you have to ban all security cameras from everywhere, and make it illegal to take a camera of any kind to little league games, school plays, ballet recitals, etc.

snip...

Regarding Google cameras, they aren't camped out shooting through windows specifically as this guy was. They are rolling down the street with the intent to capture the road and the surroundings and MAY inadvertently capture something within a home. Not the same thing.
The Security camera angle isn't a valid comparison. When people are in public there is a different expectation of privacy than when they are in their own home.

Claudia!

This was a very interesting article and thread. When I was in the police academy, this debate came up a lot. In Texas, a person can be arrested for a criminal act if they leave their blinds open while engaging in inappropriate behavior. Once the home owner makes the decision to open their window in view of public eye, they themselves take away all privacy they had. Though home owners expect a level of privacy within their own home they should also be aware of their rights as well as others. They should know when their privacy isn't private anymore. Yes it is their home but at the same time, once they open their home for light to come in they must have some understanding that as light goes in, their privacy goes out.

I do believe photographers should have some sense of morals and limits. I personally love my windows open but I know the law as well. If I walk around with nothing on and someone snaps a photo of me, that is my fault not theirs. I made the decision to open my home to the public eye. As someone who loves photography though, I would never take such photos of people.

I looked at all the photos and I must agree none of them (with the exception of the children) showed who the person was nor where they provocative. The photographer decided to take photos of a different perspective of life and his neighbors. The law protects his actions. I must side with the photographer as well. He may have taken unflattering photos but made a proper decision not to add them to the display. In a sense, he still had his limits such as not showing their faces or making it obvious who they where. His intentions where not to capture inappropriate behavior. Even though he risked capturing it, he didn't display it. If you think of a private investigator trying to catch a wife cheating. If she was in a hotel with the windows open and he captured her and her lover in action, he isn't breaking the law, they are.

Invasion of privacy in a sense is not all black and white.

Cowleystjames

I'm finding this kinda creepy but the images are enthralling. It shows society at its best and worst. I wouldn't take images of this nature as it feels voyeuristic and slightly perverse. But they are fascinating. Not sure I'm happy with them deep down, I always imagine that inside my house is my own personal space and that feels invasive.