"Voyeur" Photographer Lawsuit

ohkphoto

Snow White
Before this thread derails completely, I just want to let everyone know that I enjoyed the spirited discussion, the viewpoints and the humor! Thank you to all the "educated minds!"

396624_264330427023043_1513468598_n.png

​("appropriated" from somewhere on the internet . . . Aristotle's words but photo????. . . sorry)

Whiskeyman

Interesting discussion. What if the photos were published anonymously on the internet? What I think would really be creepy is if the photographer had no intention of publishing these; instead just keeping them to himself.

WM

Interesting discussion. What if the photos were published anonymously on the internet? What I think would really be creepy is if the photographer had no intention of publishing these; instead just keeping them to himself.

WM

I worked in One hour photo for many years. You would be surprised to see what pictures came through the labs.

Blade Canyon

This reminds me of the initial outrage about Google street view. People were photographed in their yards, through their windows, standing in front of strip clubs, etc. My neighbor was out gardening and she was caught bending over with her backside pointed straight at the truck cameras. Still, all of the Google images were taken from the public roadway.

If you want to make it illegal to photo/video children without the parents' permission, you have to ban all security cameras from everywhere, and make it illegal to take a camera of any kind to little league games, school plays, ballet recitals, etc.

I had a real life encounter once when I was taking photographs of a crime scene (gas station) to be used as exhibits in court. One of the customers was a private security guard. He was paying for his gas when I went back into the shop to talk to the cashier. The guard told me he didn't want me taking his photo without his permission. He said it was illegal and he could sue me. (This was back in the film days, so I couldn't show him that he wasn't in any of my photos.) Anyway, I just told him it was legal to take pictures in a public place. I pointed out that the security camera over the cashier's head was taking his picture right that minute. The guard said, "maybe I can't sue you, but I could drag you around the parking lot by your tie." Lucky for me, he got his change and left.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about that Don... I have heard mmany funny/horror stories about what crosses those labs!!

Pat in NH

I would go thru the desks in every store when I was in them to make sure that "Extra" prints were not being made and saved. When I would take over a new store that was the first thing I would do and if I found any there would be a serious talk with the manager letting them know that it would never happen again. If it did happen again that would be the managers last day working for me. I did have to do it once and it got around to all my managers real fast.

Kodiak

interesting discussion. What if the photos were published anonymously on the internet? What i think would really be creepy is if the photographer had no intention of publishing these; instead just keeping them to himself. Wm

SO WHAT?

Self satisfaction and fantasies are not by definition creepy! Nor do they
have, in my book, a carnal connotation ipso facto!

Recently, I was covering an artistic event at a local river playground. I am
well known in the area so no one complained about my cameras among so
many "lightly feathered recreationers" at the playground.

Of all the photos I made that afternoon, one may be described as perverted,
twisted, wicked and what not, by some perverted, twisted, wicked minds.

A nymphean creature appeared to my eye, barely 10. An almost perfect setup!
Nothing wrong in this situation since she was, like everyone, dressed the same
way and doing the same thing! The nymph was quietly walking in the shallow
waters along the river banks…

In all the effervescence of the day, this peaceful scene. This is a "scouting"
kind of experience that I shall not miss! …and I didn't. That shot is for me.
Very selfishly kept and no intention to share! Gauguin would agree, for one!

There is beauty everywhere! …and one of the definition of life, that I read
somewhere and that I love very much, says: "To live is to desire!" Flowers,
wide spaces, food, tidal noises, all have in common that everyone want to
enjoy (pleasure) them, and what makes a live so rich is the number and the
frequency of pleasures, big or small!

I may be said creepy… I say I'm alive!

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Interesting and well supported thread to get up to in the morning,to me it comes back to just because you can doesnt mean you should,in my book i close the curtains when i want privacy yes but that i still expect privacy when they are open.
The explanation to that statement is any one walking past that takes a casual glance ok any one standing out side looking in or taking photos had better be a very big guy,moral standards are on the decline and sorry to go against the right of the artist but this is just one small step in the wrong direction.
When the creation of art of any form requires you to take actions that go against the rights of another human being then in my mind its wrong,there are too many people doing there own thing without giving consideration to the needs of others.
I have started walking around the local area looking for pictures,if i see one that needs me to point my camera towards someone's window i walk away without taking.

mike

Whiskeyman

I worked in One hour photo for many years. You would be surprised to see what pictures came through the labs.

I knew a lab manager in a mall shop that had a display window near the automated printer. They always kept a lab coat ready to cover up the photos if need be.

At my B-I-L's wedding, there were disposable cameras on every table for the guests to take candid shots at the reception. Needless to say, several photos were taken that shocked the bride's parents. When they asked my F-I-L what to do about it, he suggested a novel approach to take care of it. They followed his advice and used items of clothing in those shots to match other photos taken during the reception. Where they were able to identify the subject, they mailed the candids to the person they identified as the subject. (All were obviously taken either by the subject or with their knowledge.)

And they never put disposable cameras out at a party again.

Sambr

Let me be clear on this issue. I do not photograph anyone without their permission nor do want to be. I know banks, stores,gas stations etc have cameras - however that's a whole different ball game.

Whiskeyman

SO WHAT?
Recently, I was covering an artistic event at a local river playground. I am
well known in the area so no one complained about my cameras among so
many "lightly feathered recreationers" at the playground.

Of all the photos I made that afternoon, one may be described as perverted,
twisted, wicked and what not, by some perverted, twisted, wicked minds.

A nymphean creature appeared to my eye, barely 10. An almost perfect setup!
Nothing wrong in this situation since she was, like everyone, dressed the same
way and doing the same thing! The nymph was quietly walking in the shallow
waters along the river banks…

I'm not calling you, nor anyone else, perverted, twisted or wicked; or anything else for that matter. In my eyes, the biggest difference is that your description is of taking photos in a public space, which in my opinion, is much different than taking photos of people within their own homes, especially without them knowing about it.

That being said, I agree that one should keep the curtains drawn if you don't want people seeing through your windows. And if you don't want people to see you doing some particular "thing", or anything some particular "where", then don't do that "thing" and don't go to that "where".

WM

Dave_W

The Dude
On the subject voyeurs, I have a problem that is a tough one. Because my wife and I smoke (yeah, I know. A habit I picked up about 4 yrs ago. I waited until my late 40's to start smoking...sad, isn't it?) so we go outside several times a night to smoke because smoking in the house is nearly as gross as smoking. Well, just across the way from us lives a young couple with a ~16 yr old daughter who likes to take a shower at night and then stand in her room fixing her hair (or whatever), sans her towel and with her blinds open and the light on. As much as I would like to inform her parents or even her, I can't come up with a way to tell them without sounding like a creepy old man. Talking with my wife, even she can't think of a way to mention it to them without sounding weird.

mikew_RIP

On the subject voyeurs, I have a problem that is a tough one. Because my wife and I smoke (yeah, I know. A habit I picked up about 4 yrs ago. I waited until my late 40's to start smoking...sad, isn't it?) so we go outside several times a night to smoke because smoking in the house is nearly as gross as smoking. Well, just across the way from us lives a young couple with a ~16 yr old daughter who likes to take a shower at night and then stand in her room fixing her hair (or whatever), sans her towel and with her blinds open and the light on. As much as I would like to inform her parents or even her, I can't come up with a way to tell them without sounding like a creepy old man. Talking with my wife, even she can't think of a way to mention it to them without sounding weird.

I dont think there is a sure way of doing it.however carefully you do it there embarrassment could turn to anger.

mike

mikew_RIP

Let me be clear on this issue. I do not photograph anyone without their permission nor do want to be. I know banks, stores,gas stations etc have cameras - however that's a whole different ball game.

I mostly do not photograph people but if they are in a public place and in my frame then fair game,the same applys to me and any one else taking a picture with me in it in a public place.If you are in your house watching tv how can any one consider you are fair game.

mike