upgrade to D750?

Horoscope Fish

If the question was; would I buy it again when confronted with the same choices, my answer would be yes. Without thinking twice.
Hello, Nikon? Yes, about your D750...

Shut Up.jpg

Slipperman

just got mine today and noticed right away that it's a LOT different than the 5100. still have to figure out how certain things work but one thing i noticed off the bat that i didn't like was having to press a button just to turn the mode dial. just too awkward having to use two fingers instead of just turning it with your thumb. also, what is that other dial underneath it used for that you also have to press a button to release?
i'm not gonna return it of course for such small things but it is more inconvenient.

J-see

Once you're used to is, you can use the second dial underneath with one finger. It lets you set shutter behavior; fast continuous, single, slow, mirror up...

I find it handy most of the time and annoying when I forgot to change MuP and am wondering why the hell the cam doesn't shoot.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
just got mine today and noticed right away that it's a LOT different than the 5100. still have to figure out how certain things work but one thing i noticed off the bat that i didn't like was having to press a button just to turn the mode dial. just too awkward having to use two fingers instead of just turning it with your thumb. also, what is that other dial underneath it used for that you also have to press a button to release?
i'm not gonna return it of course for such small things but it is more inconvenient.

Well, I find it a lot worse when the mode accidentally moves to something like manual settings while you take the camera out of it's bag and you don't notice it until after the shoot... This is how my D7000 acts and I'm really happy with the lock button now pretty much standard on the 7100, 600-610, Df, 800 and 810.

You just moved up to a better camera, don't let the first different buttons fool you, it's just a question of getting used to. After some times, you'll never want to go back.

​Enjoy your new camera!

J-see

You just moved up to a better camera, don't let the first different buttons fool you, it's just a question of getting used to. After some times, you'll never want to go back.

I had the same. The first days it drove me nuts and I had to double-check every button to see what I was doing and if it was the right one. Now I could not shoot without. When I switch to the D3300 again, the lack of some buttons greatly annoys me.

Vincent

I'd not put too much importance on senscore and lenscore. I checked them out some days ago and there's a couple of things that make me frown.

I wonder what? Obviously all measurement is biassed to what they are looking for (scientists will only find what they are looking for, not what is).

DXO Mark is clearly biassed towards studio photography, base ISO performance.
Senscore makes more sense having the D4s, D4, Df as the best performers, for that they look more at the evolution throughout the ISO. Seems to push FF a lot.
One thing that shocked me is the poor score of my D7000, however I did expect it to be outperformed by the D3300 and D5300 in IQ.

I`ll post my analysis later, but it shows that the D750 is good nor bad at anything, the great thing about it is how average it is and that it has no issues with anything.

Just to come to the recent discussion, a D600/D610 is sufficient, if you do not need the extras of the D750. The D750 will be bought by a lot of people that could do well with a D610.

J-see

The idea everything can be tested independently might feel intuitively right but even so makes little sense.

The problem I have (but who am I?) with their lens tests is that the performance of a lens is relative to the camera/sensor used. While putting them all on a non-standard sensor and testing them might show the individual differences between them, it says nothing about how a lens performs on which cam and if lens A is therefor a better investment than lens B.

At DxO, I can check all the individual measurements of any lens in their dbase linked to any cam in their dbase. That way I know exactly what to expect, where it performs best and when the performance drops. I can compare that to other lenses available for my cam and then decide which I prefer or which lens is worth the price differences. All lenses are tested throughout their range at about all aperture settings.

I'm not sure if I misread it in the past but lenscore seems to limit the range it test which implies that especially non-primes will suffer heavily if any of those selected ranges is a weaker part. They only test FF lenses but if, as an example, they'd tested my Tam 150-600 at 150-300 and 600 or do the same at every focal length, the more extensive test will likely have the lens score higher in comparison.

Any lens tested there only shows the difference between A and B but says nothing that is relevant to me as the owner of a specific cam. That A is better than B does not necessarily imply the same is true on my cam.

For sensors I wonder about the single lens use to test them. Since we know lenses perform differently on different sensors, here too that problem will surface. Also, since they only use the 85mm 1.4, they can't be but overrating crop sensors in respect to full. Every lens will perform better in the center than the corners regardless how good the lens and every DX will mainly use the center of that lens during those tests. In the end, we're stuck with the same problem; what do those scores really tell me?

Personally I don't need the overall score. That's nice for headlines but the only thing that might tell me something is seeing the data of the sensor and lens at work. It might still differ slightly from my lens or sensor but will still be more accurate and usable than the numbers of senscore and lenscore.

Btw, you're right that the performance (where it matters) of the D750 and D610 are fairly equal but that can even be said of the D810 in comparison. They haven't been taking giant steps the last years. Personally I'd again buy the D750 simply because it is newer technology and has some more bells and whistles. But if the D610 gets even cheaper, that wouldn't be a bad choice as a second cam for me.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

The idea everything can be tested independently might feel intuitively right but even so makes little sense.

The problem I have (but who am I?) with their lens tests is that the performance of a lens is relative to the camera/sensor used. While putting them all on a non-standard sensor and testing them might show the individual differences between them, it says nothing about how a lens performs on which cam and if lens A is therefor a better investment than lens B.

At DxO, I can check all the individual measurements of any lens in their dbase linked to any cam in their dbase. That way I know exactly what to expect, where it performs best and when the performance drops. I can compare that to other lenses available for my cam and then decide which I prefer or which lens is worth the price differences. All lenses are tested throughout their range at about all aperture settings.

I'm not sure if I misread it in the past but lenscore seems to limit the range it test which implies that especially non-primes will suffer heavily if any of those selected ranges is a weaker part. They only test FF lenses but if, as an example, they'd tested my Tam 150-600 at 150-300 and 600 or do the same at every focal length, the more extensive test will likely have the lens score higher in comparison.

Any lens tested there only shows the difference between A and B but says nothing that is relevant to me as the owner of a specific cam. That A is better than B does not necessarily imply the same is true on my cam.

For sensors I wonder about the single lens use to test them. Since we know lenses perform differently on different sensors, here too that problem will surface. Also, since they only use the 85mm 1.4, they can't be but overrating crop sensors in respect to full. Every lens will perform better in the center than the corners regardless how good the lens and every DX will mainly use the center of that lens during those tests. In the end, we're stuck with the same problem; what do those scores really tell me?

Personally I don't need the overall score. That's nice for headlines but the only thing that might tell me something is seeing the data of the sensor and lens at work. It might still differ slightly from my lens or sensor but will still be more accurate and usable than the numbers of senscore and lenscore.

Btw, you're right that the performance (where it matters) of the D750 and D610 are fairly equal but that can even be said of the D810 in comparison. They haven't been taking giant steps the last years. Personally I'd again buy the D750 simply because it is newer technology and has some more bells and whistles. But if the D610 gets even cheaper, that wouldn't be a bad choice as a second cam for me.

CameraLabs gives good results. I often read their reviews.

J-see

CameraLabs gives good results. I often read their reviews.

I check those too when I am deciding what lens next. I'm not betting all my chips on one source but DxO simply provides all the information I need when making the decision. For some lenses it matters little to me how they perform at a certain length or aperture and that's something I can check there.

singlerosa_RIP

I'm bummed. Nikon has refurbed 750s for $1900 and I can't buy one. Why? Because for the past 10 years, I've been shooting with gripped bodies and there are no grips available (that work) on a 750. It'd be one thing if I was shooting primes, but my 2.8 zooms make a non-gripped body totally unbalanced. Plus, bodies these days are so small, they almost need a grip for your hands to fit the body. Guess the cash Santa left on my doorstep will have to wait until some grip makers (including Nikon) get their act together.

Vincent

Here is the analysis promised in a previous post. (a personal selection)

Senscore.JPG

Legend:
Red is just the ultimate reference the D4S.
Green is best in class performance.
Cyan is good performance but lagging the best, but better then no colour.
Pink is poor performance.

For the not exercised reader, the D7000 is a top notch system that allows for a lot of creativity, it does not perform poorly at all. This analysis just shows where other systems are even better, not how this better would improve your pictures, that is more in the way you use the camera. See also that the best camera has a pink score in resolution (some of the best do not need Mega Pixels!).
Similar for the D750; good performance but lagging the best, shows actually it is the second best all rounder (it does seem that the D810 or Sony A7R still have a bit more versatile sensor).

Be clear as well that this does not mention factors like price, AF, lens compatibility, weight, etc... which are factors in the way you will use your camera.

.... but DxO simply provides all the information I need when making the decision. For some lenses it matters little to me how they perform at a certain length or aperture and that's something I can check there.

Ok I understood it is mainly on lenses that you prefer DXO information. As you state for lenses it is linked to your use and people should remember that they are important in the equation on the system they choose. e.g. the Tamron 28-75 scores poorly, I bought it since the use I have foreseen for it, it is pretty close to 3 times more expensive lenses.

J-see

Ok I understood it is mainly on lenses that you prefer DXO information. As you state for lenses it is linked to your use and people should remember that they are important in the equation on the system they choose. e.g. the Tamron 28-75 scores poorly, I bought it since the use I have foreseen for it, it is pretty close to 3 times more expensive lenses.

To buy I find the DxO information on the cameras and sensors less interesting since it can be expected a new model cam will perform about the same if not better than a previous model. It could be useful info when price is the only important part when buying or if one still has to pick sides and decide which brand they'll invest in.

But for lenses I find it phenomenally important. I also think it's not a good thing there is all this emphasis on that one big number; the overall score. I did find it misleading in the beginning. I have lenses I shoot wide open all the time or others I rarely open wide. Or zoom lengths I hardly ever use. I find it more rewarding when I can buy with that use in mind and check how they perform there where I need them to perform. It's only then I can decide which lens is the better choice; technically and financially.