upgrade to D750?

Rick M

I do not see the logic:

DX: Entry: D3300 a bit better: D5300 quite a good machine: D7100 ... logically when you want to go better go FF.
FF: Entry: D610 a bit better D750 something special: Df Lots of resolution: D810 Workhorse: D4s

If you have issues with the D7100, you will probably need more ISO performance, at this moment you will have to go FF. (My hopes are on the Samsung NX1, but they are low) You will get better results with a D750 and a heavy crop then you will probably get with any professional DX model (Canon included).

I will wait to see the test results, but I do not think so. Yes the 7D MarkII will outsell the D750, but not because it is better, just because people have the L lenses that go with the Canon.

The issue with the D7100 for many is fps and buffer size. Nikon has no fast Dx model. With the current Nikon lineup, you have to go to a D4s ($6500!) To get good speed and buffer performance. If you also want Dx reach, you have to crop down a lot of file size. That is not logical and a massive hole in the Nikon line-up.

Canon is very smart to see what Nikon does not want us to.

Rick M

Next year should clarify things. If a D7200 comes out, I doubt we'll see a pro Dx in 2015. I read somewhere they were looking at the market to see if it would carry a pro Dx, while Canon gobbles up those new users and lens sales! It's a shame I can't buy stock in a company I love :(

kamaccord

The issue with the D7100 for many is fps and buffer size. Nikon has no fast Dx model. With the current Nikon lineup, you have to go to a D4s ($6500!) To get good speed and buffer performance. If you also want Dx reach, you have to crop down a lot of file size. That is not logical and a massive hole in the Nikon line-up.

Canon is very smart to see what Nikon does not want us to.

I totally agree. Nikon is really disappointing many customers as a result of their failure to address such a large demand for a pro-DX body.

NVSteve

Hmm, after reading page 18 of the user's manual, my desire to get one has deflated substantially:

Do not touch the area to the rear of the monitor or allow liquid to contact the inner surface. Failure to observe these precautions could cause product malfunction.

Looks and sounds like maybe a ribbon wire is exposed that attaches from the body to the LCD. Even with the LCD shut against the body, water could still get in, which defeats the purpose of having all the other sealing. I just don't get it. And I wonder how that ribbon cable would react to dirt and dust while out backpacking in the desert? 2 of my past cameras had fold out/flip out LCDs and I shot with those in torrential downpours (no choice as I got caught in them a number of times). Those didn't have anything exposed though and were truly well sealed. Anyone have any actual pictures they could post that shows this cable?

BruceJ

Hmm, after reading page 18 of the user's manual, my desire to get one has deflated substantially:

Do not touch the area to the rear of the monitor or allow liquid to contact the inner surface. Failure to observe these precautions could cause product malfunction.

Looks and sounds like maybe a ribbon wire is exposed that attaches from the body to the LCD. Even with the LCD shut against the body, water could still get in, which defeats the purpose of having all the other sealing. I just don't get it. And I wonder how that ribbon cable would react to dirt and dust while out backpacking in the desert? 2 of my past cameras had fold out/flip out LCDs and I shot with those in torrential downpours (no choice as I got caught in them a number of times). Those didn't have anything exposed though and were truly well sealed. Anyone have any actual pictures they could post that shows this cable?

Picked up my D750 today along with a Tamron 70-200. I will take a picture of the tilting screen stuff and post tomorrow

eal1

I also want to know about the 51 versus 39 autofocus points. That's one of the intriguing characteristics of the 750.
It is a crucial question: do the autofocus points cover a greater area than the 610's? Is the autofocus system far superior?

BruceJ

Ok, as far as if the autofocus points are spread out more the the 610 I don't know. I just switched over from Sony. I held a 610 once just to feel build quality and see how it felt in hand. haven't gotten the chance to shoot with mine yet but here are some observations... It is light, the articulation screen is mounted with all metal hinges, the autofocus area is large (from what I am used to.
Here is few pics of the ribbon on the screen On the top pic the only part that is ribbon is the small section from he cross bracket to t screen. The piece the cross bracket is a metal plate that covers the ribbon.

The second shows where it goes into the body and screen..........As far as the screen I like Sony did it on the A77 and A99 much better.

Attachments

• 20140928_090736.jpg
    20140928_090736.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 184
  • 20140928_090929.jpg
    20140928_090929.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

BruceJ

Ordered one from Adorama. Free overnight shipping!
I tried to order I Friday from Adorama but they were closed for the holiday. Since I had it in my head I was going to buy one I drove an hour to the nearest camera store and bought it there bye bye tax savings but made a friend at the store.

NVSteve

Ok, as far as if the autofocus points are spread out more the the 610 I don't know.

I read a post just a few days ago that had photos of the D800, D610 & D750 AF points superimposed over each other. There really is not much of a difference other than the AF points of the D750 are smaller and more tightly grouped. Wish I could find that thread again-not sure if it was here or elsewhere.

Here is few pics of the ribbon on the screen On the top pic the only part that is ribbon is the small section from he cross bracket to t screen. The piece the cross bracket is a metal plate that covers the ribbon.

Thank you for posting these! To be perfectly honest, it boggles my mind that they would create something with such a massive weak link, specifically when it comes to sealing. I was getting more and more convinced that I would be upgrading to this one at some point until I found out about the ribbon cable & the associated warnings concerning it. I was even hoping that it was something that I could rig with silicone and thin rubber strips, but it doesn't look like that would work with the D750. I'll have to check one out in person at some point to see if I might be able to do something to protect the ribbon cable. Still love the D600, so I'll keep plugging away with that.

ShootRaw

I read a post just a few days ago that had photos of the D800, D610 & D750 AF points superimposed over each other. There really is not much of a difference other than the AF points of the D750 are smaller and more tightly grouped. Wish I could find that thread again-not sure if it was here or elsewhere.

Did you find this yet? That sucks if there is not more of a spread on the D750 vs D610

Rick M

From that thread, maybe one additional point wider in each direction? It's more, but not by much if that is accurate. I think lens curvature may be a reason they stay away from extremes. The V3 has them all over the frame, but the N1 lenses are very flat.

BruceJ

Thank you for posting these! To be perfectly honest, it boggles my mind that they would create something with such a massive weak link, specifically when it comes to sealing. I was getting more and more convinced that I would be upgrading to this one at some point until I found out about the ribbon cable & the associated warnings concerning it. I was even hoping that it was something that I could rig with silicone and thin rubber strips, but it doesn't look like that would work with the D750. I'll have to check one out in person at some point to see if I might be able to do something to protect the ribbon cable. Still love the D600, so I'll keep plugging away with that.
Even though it has a ribbon the is a slot grommet at the openings, obviously I cant see how well its sealedbeyond that point but on Nikons home page it says it offers the same weather sealing protection as the D810

NVSteve

Even though it has a ribbon the is a slot grommet at the openings, obviously I cant see how well its sealedbeyond that point but on Nikons home page it says it offers the same weather sealing protection as the D810

In this case, Nikon is obviously fudging their claims of weather sealing a bit. Sure, the body might be as well sealed as the D810 (or D610), but according to the owner's manual, the ribbon cable is most certainly not. I'm really surprised I haven't come across any other threads discussing this on other sites. And it isn't like the LCD folded flat against the body would protect the ribbon cable, as there are no gaskets of any kind.

NVSteve

Wonder why no one in the community of youtube etc, has mentioned if this will be a problem or not..

Just a guess, but even those who clamor for weather sealing probably never put it to the test & put the cameras away with the first drop of rain. I can't see how this won't be a problem.

15402448705_7bb6183eab_o.jpg