Upcoming Full Frame Camera Will Be Called the D750

Vincent

I keep waiting for Nikon to make the "Killer" full-frame body that I just... Can... Not... Live... Without.

This ain't it.

I'm not sure if I'm excited by that fact, or disappointed.

Even if I feel the same, it seems to me that on the current information we can not decide if it is a "Killer" full frame, ... or not, it just might be a whole new 24 Mpix sensor that blows the socks of everything or something completely different.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Forget about another trip Marcel. YOU really need to upgrade your D700 to the NEW D750. I wont say anything if you pre-order it with your local camera store. Just saying...:eek:

Speak for yourself Glenn, I know your type ;), when you see all the shiny new features you'll want it as much as all of us Nikon Acquisition syndrome sufferers Anonymous.

:) :) :)

kamaccord

I think this will be the camera for me to go full frame. I'm just undecided whether I want to pre-order. I am putting funds aside now for both the camera and all new glass. Glass may be a challenge if Sigma announces the long awaited 24-70mm f2.0. Hopefully Sigma will announce a new 70-200mm f2.8 at the same time. If so, I will probably get the Sigma upgraded glass unless Nikon comes out with new glass that can compete. As of lately Sigma is come out strong with their new glass.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hopefully Sigma will announce a new 70-200mm f2.8 at the same time. If so, I will probably get the Sigma upgraded glass unless Nikon comes out with new glass that can compete. As of lately Sigma is come out strong with their new glass.

Is there something wrong with the current Nikon offerings that has faster af and has sharper optics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disclaimer: Typos may occur randomly without notice.

ABoon

Is there something wrong with the current Nikon offerings that has faster af and has sharper optics?

You can't judge the sharpness and AF of a lens that doesn't yet exist and given the recent offerings from Sigma, I'd be pretty surprised if they don't match or surpass the sharpness of the current Nikon 70-200. The current Tamron 70-200 2.8 is sharper than the current Nikon just to point out an example of superior sharpness from a third party in this particular focal length.

I would say the price of the Nikon offering is a fairly big problem.

kamaccord

Not to my knowledge. However, Sigma's latest products (50mm f1.4; 18-35mm f1.8; 85mm f1.4) seem to out perform Nikon's current product. My hope is that Sigma will produce an on par or better 24-70mm f2.0 and 70-200mm at lower costs than Nikon although Sigma's recent lenses have out priced Nikon.

kamaccord

You can't judge the sharpness and AF of a lens that doesn't yet exist and given the recent offerings from Sigma, I'd be pretty surprised if they don't match or surpass the sharpness of the current Nikon 70-200. The current Tamron 70-200 2.8 is sharper than the current Nikon just to point out an example of superior sharpness from a third party in this particular focal length.

I definitely agree. Nikon's prices for glass is definitely a problem, at least for me. In addition, Tamron currently would be my lens of choice in the 70-200mm focal length as a result of bokeh, price and sharpness. I'm really anxious to see what glass is introduced by Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron at Photokina.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
However, Sigma's latest products (50mm f1.4; 18-35mm f1.8; 85mm f1.4) seem to out perform Nikon's current product.

I agree.

But I do judge a lens based on sharpness, AF, vignette, built, size, weight and price among the other factors that I determine before I buy a lens. AF and sharpness are the top factors because a missed shot due to slow auto focus is not acceptable for me. Tamron have delivered zoom lenses (24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8) with great optics but slooowww auto focus which makes it frustrating for me to use. Once you've used one then you can compare it with Nikon so that you can confidently make a statement based on your personal experience.

Re: Nikon higher price. If Nikon had lower priced products, everyone here will be pre-ordering the D750, have a D810, D4s and a 400mm f2.8 to go with. ;)

Horoscope Fish

Even if I feel the same, it seems to me that on the current information we can not decide if it is a "Killer" full frame, ... or not, it just might be a whole new 24 Mpix sensor that blows the socks of everything or something completely different.
True that. I was basing that comment on the specifications alleged in the Nikon Rumors article but your assessment is spot-on.

If the final product turns out to be the Killer full-frame for me well, then all bets are off. Based on what I've seen, though, this won't be the FX for me. But that's okay; my D7100 is holding me over quite nicely until the right FX body does come along.

rocketman122

its ingenious on nikons thinking. they take the D600/610 sensor theyre not able to sell well. wrap it nicely, give it updated specs and sell it as a new product. on one hand I say they might make it a camera I may be interested in, on the other this just looks like the d600/610 with tweaked features. I think theyre going to skimp on quality somehow or another. I dont like the D600 IQ at all. up to iso2500 its ok, after that its just garbage. even though numbers say its better than the D3/D700, it simply isnt the case.

basically this looks like its a d800/810 AF speed/ D300/700 fps, and still be the crappy D600/10 build. I dont think they will make the video as good as the D800/810 and Im not certain theyll allow aperture change in live mode. I hope im wrong.

I am keeping my eye on it as I may sell my D3 for this. 4 things that are important to me

-iso to 12800, but good D3s good, not D810 good, which is not good. I do shoot the D3s at 12800 with the 85mm a lot. I embrace grain. I also love ambient light.
-FPS 7 is fine
-response time. the D600 felt like molasses from when you pressed till it started doing something. its slow as hell.
-dont care for the spread of the af points of the D600/10 since im a center focus recompose person. dont shoot continuous AF either. Im very old school.
-good video (D800 quality would be nice and suffice. D600/10 is decent) and aperture change in live view a must. theyre sleeping at the wheel for too long now. too many options for videographers as well. sony a7, GH4, and fuji as well. I didnt see the footage but yesterday I shot a wedding and the videographer we work with sold his c100 for the sony a7s (also has 5DIII). he was shooting iso 40000. yea, 4 zeros there. my friend (shoots D4/D4s) who was downloading the photage to laptop was in awe. again, I didnt see it but I trust his word. since Id like to start doing video as well, this will be an important camera for me. I hope they deliver, but as a pessimist, sorry, let me fix that, realist, I dont think they will deliver what I think is quality. the way nikon is heading, theyre simply cutting corners and wrapping the product nicely, but I see the real nikon. but well see.

this will be a big deal for nikon. if they just stuffed the D600/10 with beefed up specs, then im passing and nikons greed will be too much for me. if they really invested in this camera. making the sensor better adding nice features in, im in.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
basically this looks like its a d800/810 AF speed/ D300/700 fps, and still be the crappy D600/10 build. I dont think they will make the video as good as the D800/810 and Im not certain theyll allow aperture change in live mode. I hope im wrong.

It is possible. The way I view the D750 is that it uses the D810 body and controls with a 24mp full frame sensor without the AA which is a winner to me already. This would be ideal based on my control preference without the huge files of the D810. If you want a camera with better performance at higher ISO, then the pro cameras would be the preferred choice.

rocketman122

It is possible. The way I view the D750 is that it uses the D810 body and controls with a 24mp full frame sensor without the AA which is a winner to me already. This would be ideal based on my control preference without the huge files of the D810. If you want a camera with better performance at higher ISO, then the pro cameras would be the preferred choice.

I hope youre right regarding the use of the D810 body, but personally, I think nikons going to cheap out and go a la D600/10. I hope im wrong because the D600/10 feels cheap and small.

someone said articulated screen. sounds nice to me. I think nikons looking to save its rear end and just not put in a solid effort. many peed off D700'ers not wanting the cheapo (not price though) D600 and D800 too many MP and slow with 4 fps.

yea 24mp was heavy for my use when I had it so 36mp is for me is crazy.

I want native to 12800 on this because then I know I can safely use it at 6400.

now where the hell are those RF wireless slaved flashes..

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I hope youre right regarding the use of the D810 body, but personally, I think nikons going to cheap out and go a la D600/10. I hope im wrong because the D600/10 feels cheap and small.

someone said articulated screen. sounds nice to me. I think nikons looking to save its rear end and just not put in a solid effort. many peed off D700'ers not wanting the cheapo (not price though) D600 and D800 too many MP and slow with 4 fps.

yea 24mp was heavy for my use when I had it so 36mp is for me is crazy.

I want native to 12800 on this because then I know I can safely use it at 6400.

now where the hell are those RF wireless slaved flashes..

The reason that I am thinking that it will be with a D810 body is because of the D700 has both view finder curtain unlike the D610.

I remember before for those with smaller hands, they wished for a fx camera with the body of a D7000 then the D600 appeared.

rocketman122

The reason that I am thinking that it will be with a D810 body is because of the D700 has both view finder curtain unlike the D610.

I remember before for those with smaller hands, they wished for a fx camera with the body of a D7000 then the D600 appeared.

I hope its a D800/810, then id say they put effort in. the placement of the buttons are better. the D600/610 is not a bad camera, and its ok for weddings, ive shot many with it. but the quality isnt there. the af speed, the lag, the IQ is meh.

ShootRaw

Rocket, the D610 has a fantastic sensor that images at ISO 5000 look great compared to lots of other cameras..To say after Iso 2500 its garbage is inaccurate to me..

ShootRaw

Here is a shot I did at Iso 3200...Looks fine to me..Click on image for better quality..
DSC_4873CC.jpg

No noise reduction..Was actually sharpened to 61 in lightroom..

rocketman122

not about the noise. more about the color shift. we see things differently. I always hated disliked the colors and after trading it for the D3s, my friend who now has it, said the same and I didnt even mention it. it just bothers my eyes.

I never sharpen pictures. we can agree to disagree. im shooting 2000 images a wedding. some less some more but on average 2k. I hated looking at the D600 images. maybe they tweaked it in the D610 over the D600. great image!