Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Looks AWESOME with a D7000!

Horoscope Fish

I have a contender for my next lens purchase.

The new Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. It's rumored to be better than the 35 1.8/50 1.8 and it'd allow me to go significantly wider than I can now (35mm). Will 18mm be enough? I don't know. But it will allow me to get rid of my 35mm and give me a great range to use.

What do you think?

I keep the 35mm 1.8 on my camera the vast majority of the time.
I guess the question is will 18mm be enough for... What, exactly?

The Sig' is undoubtedly a great lens (I've considered one myself). It's pricey, though, at $800 and that's definitely a consideration for me.

bmilcs

I guess the question is will 18mm be enough for... What, exactly?

The Sig' is undoubtedly a great lens (I've considered one myself). It's pricey, though, at $800 and that's definitely a consideration for me.

This is true. It is very expensive - it would end up being 2x what I've spent on a lens so far.

I love the 35mm perspective - I do, but I feel like IQ and bokeh are suffering at the cost of its convenience. This would give me a wider angle and zoom to work with, better IQ/bokeh and better construction.

It's tough. I don't really have the money for it however. I'd have to continue to sell my shaving collection and other goodies.

bmilcs

When I go out and shoot, it's typically with my family and I'm restricted to 1 lens while leaving my kit back in the car. The 35mm is my indoor/outdoor event lens (parties, etc) and my 70-300 is for sports/playgrounds/etc.

I wanted a wide angle lens to capture more indoors and out - I really like the perspective that a cell phone camera gives you if that helps. I wouldn't mind it even larger.

Horoscope Fish

This is true. It is very expensive - it would end up being 2x what I've spent on a lens so far.

I love the 35mm perspective - I do, but I feel like IQ and bokeh are suffering at the cost of its convenience. This would give me a wider angle and zoom to work with, better IQ/bokeh and better construction.

It's tough. I don't really have the money for it however. I'd have to continue to sell my shaving collection and other goodies.
Methinks you might be selling the 35mm f/1.8 a little short. The IQ is nothing short of excellent and the bokeh, really, is quite good on that lens. You'd gain some flexibility with the Sigma for sure, but I think you'd have to pixel peep to see differences in IQ, really, compared directly to the Nikon 35mm. Yes, I do think the Sigma is the better lens of the two, but it's not got THAT much over the 35mm f/1.8G in my estimation. Certainly not $600 worth of anything over it.

Just one man's opinion of course...

When I go out and shoot, it's typically with my family and I'm restricted to 1 lens while leaving my kit back in the car. The 35mm is my indoor/outdoor event lens (parties, etc) and my 70-300 is for sports/playgrounds/etc.

I wanted a wide angle lens to capture more indoors and out - I really like the perspective that a cell phone camera gives you if that helps. I wouldn't mind it even larger.
Have you considered the Tokina 12-24 f/4 then, as your daily walk about? That could be just the lens for you.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Not much you can do with your budget if you want to stay at f/2.8 with a UW lens, other then the 11_16. Anything else you're going to need some more cash.
I'm actually really suprised that Tokina is selling this lens at such a low price.

I went out after sundown and shot these with my 11-16.

d71_6543_hdr.jpg
d71_6581.jpg
d71_6570.jpg

bmilcs

Man I just finished selling a lot of shaving goods. 550$ for hobbies! Now the question remains. Ultra wide 2.8 or variable wide Sigma 1.8

bmilcs

Drummmmm roll please...

[h=3]Order Successfully placed. Thank you for your Business.[/h]
I went with the original DX I version. :)

bmilcs

14586113346_98ccf92159_b.jpg

14605884541_fb7a079b07_b.jpg

Last night, I had my first casual shoot at a horse farm in CT. Therefore, I haven't had a lot of practice yet with this lens but I can already tell: we are going to get along juuuust fine!

The IQ is gorgeous. My only complaint is how much light this lens needs! Metering is kinda tough ;) and the Tokina screams for a tripod in near low light situations.

Englischdude

View attachment 99980

View attachment 99981

Last night, I had my first casual shoot at a horse farm in CT. Therefore, I haven't had a lot of practice yet with this lens but I can already tell: we are going to get along juuuust fine!

The IQ is gorgeous. My only complaint is how much light this lens needs! Metering is kinda tough ;) and the Tokina screams for a tripod in near low light situations.

great job, now you just need to update your signature :)