This Retro Nikon DF They're Talking About

BackdoorArts

If they've left the top of the camera bare then I will be even more confused as to who this is for. The FM2/F2 had mode dials up there, so I see no reason this camera can't. While the supposed command dial orientation is different, at least it addresses Rick's question.

Again, I'm not sure who this is for, and at what price point it would enter the market? I remember a teaser pre-order from a camera shop I posted a while ago accepting $100 deposits to get in line for a camera with electronic specs like this (no video, D4 sensor, D600 focus system) and they had a potential list price of $1999. I can't see this selling for more than that in this form. Would love it if they packaged it in a D600 shell. Now it's just a curiosity.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This whole advertising campaign might be brilliant, but what does it say about the prospect customers. It says that we are like a bunch of kids, trying to figure out the content of a X-mas gift by just looking at the wrapped box. It saddens me to see that we salivate while not knowing a thing except rumours (probably intentionally leaked by Nikon key people).

I say if they would like to deal with adults, they should keep their stuff secret until the product is ready (this includes severe testing to prevent problems that could hurt the brand) and then, and only then, just make a launching with the whole thing. But, with internet cost for spreading rumours being non-existant, I can also understand why they try this route.

Even I get upset with myself ranting about a rumour.... :)

Mark F

I'd get a kick out of this marketing campaign if it turned out there was a shutter defect or some other problem associated with the camera and they discontinue it for a Df1a in 6 months to a year :D

BackdoorArts

This whole advertising campaign might be brilliant, but what does it say about the prospect customers. It says that we are like a bunch of kids, trying to figure out the content of a X-mas gift by just looking at the wrapped box. It saddens me to see that we salivate while not knowing a thing except rumours (probably intentionally leaked by Nikon key people).

I say if they would like to deal with adults, they should keep their stuff secret until the product is ready (this includes severe testing to prevent problems that could hurt the brand) and then, and only then, just make a launching with the whole thing. But, with internet cost for spreading rumours being non-existant, I can also understand why they try this route.

Even I get upset with myself ranting about a rumour.... :)

Marcel, Marcel, Marcel, this is the internet age, where rumor and speculation rule and truth is often an inconvenient afterthought that requires issuing a far more quiet apology. ;) Many companies are becoming far more savvy to how the internet rumor mill can be used to publicize new launches more extensively and far less expensively than they could ever do on their own, and this is an example.

I actually think the campaign is brilliant, and is the only thing that lends any kind of perspective into exactly who the market for this camera is - the traditional film photographer who longs for the day when it was just them, their camera and a roll of film, and no manual to have to read before you can take a photo (though, they're still going to have to that, along with all the DSLR folks who have to refigure out what goes where). The fact that the rumor mill feels the need to dissect what they don't know and race to be the first to "figure out the secret" is just human nature and a part of what makes people want to be the persons posting the "truth" in the rumors. Just a play on human nature and a nerd's need to figure out a puzzle.

The lovely thing about the internet is there's so much out there. The hard thing about the internet is that there's so much out there that we should be ignoring. :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Good pics have arrived!

Nikon-Df-top.jpg
Nikon-Df-silver-front.jpg
Nikon-Df-blakc-and-silver.jpg
Nikon-Df-front.jpg
Nikon-Df-back.jpg

Brian

I like the classic lines, somewhere between an FM and F3.

If it is as good as it looks, will pick one up this spring.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow! Now THAT looks like a camera! It would be VERY easy to learn for those of us who are familiar with 35mm. :)

BackdoorArts

Wow! Now THAT looks like a camera! It would be VERY easy to learn for those of us who are familiar with 35mm. :)

I don't know, outside of certain dial placement I'm not sure it would be all that much different in terms of learning curve. But at least it would feel similar. ;)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't know, outside of certain dial placement I'm not sure it would be all that much different in terms of learning curve. But at least it would feel similar. ;)

The aluminum aperture ring on the new 50mm G lens might be just for cosmetics.

I do like the native ISO 100 - 12,800.

Sent from my iPhone.

carguy

This is very cool. Probably out of my price range, but VERY cool. Just got out my Orig owner XG-1 this week to send it out for cleaning :)