This Retro Nikon DF They're Talking About

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Just wondering
Will the 39 AF points and shutter speed of 1/4000 be a hindrance to you guys/gals ?

I have yet to shoot a scene that requires 1/8000, ISO 100. My D7000 can hold its ground except that it is a DX. So, I don't see it as a hidrance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BackdoorArts

I use 39 AF points all the time on my D600 and am quite used to it. And I rarely find myself shooting wide open in full sunlight, so I believe I'd be more than OK with it - were I wanting it in the first place.

Brian

Just wondering
Will the 39 AF points and shutter speed of 1/4000 be a hindrance to you guys/gals ?

Not for me. I use an M8, M9 and Monochrom. The M8 has 1/8000th, good for testing adjusted lenses outdoors used wide-open.

The F3AF has 1-point, and a 1/2000 top shutter speed. So this is a step up from it in some ways.

Rick M

The 1/4000 limit didn't effect me until I got my 35mm 1.4 and was shooting outside. ISO 100 was not enough to slow it down.

Geoffc

I just don't understand why you would pay $3000 just because it supports old glass. Whenever I've compared 25 year old glass with the modern equivalents I just don't find they are as crisp. For example I have a Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF that belonged to my father that we used to use a lot. Once we bought the modern 70-300 VR it's never been on the camera again having compared the difference. Not pre AI but you get my point.

Maybe they have a look that appeals to that person and I know sharpness isn't everything in that respect.

It just feels like paying $3000 for a record player to play old 45s or 78s, when I could get a good MP3 player for $150 and just buy the old records from amazon or iTunes for $700.

RON_RIP

Go easy one the old stuff. Otherwise a lot of us may be rounded up and put out to pasture. I am glad my body can make use of old glass even if i never get around to doing it.

Brian

attachment.php

attachment.php

1936 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5, wide-open.
I like older glass.

attachment.php

Converted this one to Leica mount myself.
It'll be nice to be able to use my - newer than 1959 older than 1978 -Nikon lenses on a digital camera. The ones from the 1940s and 1950s, I can use on the Leica.

BackdoorArts

I just don't understand why you would pay $3000 just because it supports old glass. Whenever I've compared 25 year old glass with the modern equivalents I just don't find they are as crisp. For example I have a Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF that belonged to my father that we used to use a lot. Once we bought the modern 70-300 VR it's never been on the camera again having compared the difference. Not pre AI but you get my point.

Maybe they have a look that appeals to that person and I know sharpness isn't everything in that respect.

It just feels like paying $3000 for a record player to play old 45s or 78s, when I could get a good MP3 player for $150 and just buy the old records from amazon or iTunes for $700.

All I can say about the records vs. MP3 thing is to tell you to hunt down recent Neil Young interviews where he talks about digital music and how bad it really is compared to what you used to get from vinyl, and particularly what is lost in the final format compared to what's put down in the studio. Every format has its weaknesses.

As for old glass, there's a lot of stuff that's just "old", but there are also some amazing lenses that were produced back in the day, and for Nikon to make it possible to finally use them properly in the digital age earns them some points with long time enthusiasts, while also paying homage to the quality of the product that Nikkor has been putting out for years (is it a mere coincidence this happens as Nikkor celebrates its 80th anniversary?). Not all old glass can compete with modern stuff, but for folks who have had a lens for decades, it means something to them.

I mean, they keep coming out with new women every year, but that doesn't mean I'm dumping the Mrs. for the latest model. ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Replacing the Mrs with a newer model is WAY more expensive than getting a newer camera model. ;)

skene

And a lot more dangerous.

only when you are sleeping, away from home, at work, with the SO's SO... Just sayin'..

But the DF would definitely strike a chord with people that grew up on a solid built Nikon 35mm film camera. I know that I still am very much in love with my old FTN body and if I could slap on a sensor, card slot and such I would easily do it.

Not every lens would end up being a favorite piece of glass... Some were better than others. But you cannot compare a solid built lens made pre 90s and compare them to the plastic lenses of today. The prime lenses of back then were monsters and still are to this day. I would have no problem trading in a few lenses to get a hold of a Nikkor 58mm 1.2 Noct lens. I would rather that then the latest offering of the 58mm 1.4G.