The new Nikon 1 v3

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I am seriously thinking about one of these as a travel camera...

One of the main uses of my V1 is for travel. It seems absurd that the V3 forces you to decide to use the EVF or the GPS because they share the same connection point. WTF was Nikon thinking? For now, I'm going to stay with the V1 plus it shares batteries with the D800.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I also noted that the low light performance of the V3 was not that good... Hmmmm

Physics due to small sensor. Trade-offs. The crazy thing is that the Nikon 1 glass is excellent. I can personally attest to the 6.7-13mm and 18.5mm as "great glass". The 32mm gets rave reviews too. Frustrating that we don't have a body to match.

I will have to go up to Toronto in the upcoming couple months and am tempted to spring for a V3 body only while there. Here in the US, Nikon is only shipping the full kit (body, EVF, grip) for $1200. Since the GPS is more important to me, I'd rather save some money and just buy the body and save ~ $300.

randyspann

I downloaded a couple of ISO 800 shots from the DPReview nikon 1 forum, v3 NEF's. In my opinion, my v1 ISO 800 shots have much less noise than what I see in the downloaded v3 shots. Not a definitive comparison, but interesting.