The 105 micro lens - show me your images

fhibbs12

How well would this work for portrait/full body if I have the distance? I got the 85 g 1.8 but looking for something with a bit more distance but the options are killing me.

Tamron 70 200 has the 2.8 speed
Nikkor 70-200 f4 lighter
Nikkor 105 2.8 macro. Cheapest duel function....

A nikkor 135 1.8g would be lovely lol

480sparky

How well would this work for portrait/full body if I have the distance? I got the 85 g 1.8 but looking for something with a bit more distance but the options are killing me.

Nikkor 70-200 f4 lighter

Kinda pricey, but a Nikkor 180mm/2.8.

ShootRaw

My daughters 7th B-Day cake Ballet shoes..

Attachments

• untitled-2041.jpg
    untitled-2041.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 169

ShootRaw

This was with the 105mm^^ please click on it for full res...
Did they change how pics are uploaded now? Everything I do is an attachment instead of direct upload..What gives?

wud

Nikkor 70-200 f4 lighter

I have the 70-200 f2.8 and I think its very good for portraits, also full body. Been using it a lot with the family pictures I do. As I read, the f/4 should be just as good. Its very fast.

This 105mm can easily do full body, you just have to move away BUT its pretty slow. When using auto focus, it blurres the image out and then focus again, whenever I dont keep it on the subject.

Maybe this wont matter so much if shooting adults, but for kids (and dogs and so on) this will probably mean, missing a lot of great shots as the lens are to slow.

Nevertheless, its really sharp and I like this 105mm a LOT.

What will you be photographing with it?

This was with the 105mm^^ please click on it for full res...
Did they change how pics are uploaded now? Everything I do is an attachment instead of direct upload..What gives?

Nice looking cake!

I dont know if they changed anything, I upload to my gallery and then insert here by clicking "my photos" (under this writing box, left side).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This is a very good lens even for portraits. You'll get an occassional purple fringing if you shoot wide open on high contrast subjects such as a Nikon lens cap. Other than that, it is pretty sharp.

snow monkey by gqtuazon, on Flickr

VectorZ

I just got this lens today and can't wait to get out and find some stuff to shoot. I am really looking forward to the macro side as it will open a lot of new subjects for me to photograph. Keep your photos coming!

VectorZ

So to you macro photographers. I just bought a SB-700 on Craigslist as I saw many people raving about it. I got it for $225. It was never used, purchased last June. I really have no idea how to use this thing, are there any general setting you all use or recommend for macro photography?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So to you macro photographers. I just bought a SB-700 on Craigslist as I saw many people raving about it. I got it for $225. It was never used, purchased last June. I really have no idea how to use this thing, are there any general setting you all use or recommend for macro photography?

TTL/BL. The best way to learn what each mode does is by practicing with it. First hand experience is always best.

Last edited:

wud

Thanks and that is true! But if I can eliminate 50% of my stupid mistakes right off the bat I'm ahead of the curve!

Beautiful images at your site :) I'm not good enough with a flash yet, to give advice. But guess bounce or soft box (in different variations) goes for most photography? Unless if it's in bright sunlight, then it's fill flash (directly on the subject).

Krs_2007

Beautiful images at your site :) I'm not good enough with a flash yet, to give advice. But guess bounce or soft box (in different variations) goes for most photography? Unless if it's in bright sunlight, then it's fill flash (directly on the subject).
@VectorZ
Sorry for not checking your site earlier, never noticed the link. Mai is right, you have some beautiful photographs on your site.

DraganDL

Awesome lens! Go for it, wud, if you can get it at an affordable price. Otherwise, I would suggest you Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP macro, which just cannot be beaten in terms of a price versus quality.