Tamron 16-300 'Super Zoom'

DMcL

Hi folks hope all is well.

I currently have a D3300 and use the kit lens 18-55 and also have a 55-300 lens. I was thinking if it makes sense to sell both of my lenses and 'upgrade' to the Tamron 16-300. I have been thinking if the image quality would be better on the Tamron? As the idea of having one lens is highly appealing.

This might be a bit left field too, but is there anywhere I could get an idea of how much I should sell my existing lens for as a guide?

Thanks

mikew_RIP

After reading much about lenses on this site I've decided that I need only 3 lenses.
Tokina 11-16, Tamron 16-300 and the Tamron 150-600.;)

Only need three lenses,any thing on the web can come back to haunt you :D this looks more like 6.

Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF-D
Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5-D
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8-D
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 VR
Nikkor 70-200mm F/2.8 VR I
Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 VR

lokatz

Yeah, I've been eyeing the Tamron 18-400 myself a bit, but while it is not bad for an ultrazoom, especially on the short end, the reviews I saw peg it as almost unusable at 200+mm unless you stop down to f/11 or so. Optical miracles are not as possible as we might like them to, I guess...

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I've been eyeing the Tamron 18-400 myself a bit, but while it is not bad for an ultrazoom, especially on the short end, the reviews I saw peg it as almost unusable at 200+mm unless you stop down to f/11 or so. Optical miracles are not as possible as we might like them to, I guess...

I've had the Tamron 18-400 for about a month now. I like it, it's small and not very heavy. I think it works better with full light, but then again, I'm not good at shooting at night. I was using it on the D5100 until I packed up for Hurricane Irma, then switched it over to the D7100.
DSC_7032_001.JPG
DSC_7035_001.JPG
DSC_7057_001.JPG[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

lokatz

It's great to have such a versatile lens - I could see myself having it on my D7100 all the time. I want my wildlife shots to be pin-sharp, though, and it does not do all that well in that department...

mikew_RIP

I've had the Tamron 18-400 for about a month now. I like it, it's small and not very heavy. I think it works better with full light, but then again, I'm not good at shooting at night. I was using it on the D5100 until I packed up for Hurricane Irma, then switched it over to the D7100.
View attachment 267801
View attachment 267802
View attachment 267803[SUB][/SUB]

Nice results,i was put off that lens though with my main one being the 100-400,i would never decide which to go out with as i only ever go out with the lens on my camera.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice results,i was put off that lens though with my main one being the 100-400,i would never decide which to go out with as i only ever go out with the lens on my camera.

Thanks Mike! I only carry one camera/one lens also.