Tamron 16-300 'Super Zoom'

Philnz

Just ordered one today.:cool: They are in short supply in New Zealand. Could be 10 days or more before I get my hands on it. Will then sell my Nikon 55-300mm and possibly the 18-200mm we will see.

Blacktop

After reading much about lenses on this site I've decided that I need only 3 lenses.
Tokina 11-16, Tamron 16-300 and the Tamron 150-600.;)

Philnz

Posted these in another post I got the 16-300 today a couple
of quick shots hand held. will take it for a walk in morning all being well.
DSC_5231.jpg

DSC_5235.jpg

crewchief227

I got to test drive this lens today and I was reading people expiration dates on peoples license plates from across the street with my D7100 LOL

crewchief227

Re: Tamron 16-300mm Lense

I just test drove one today as a matter of fact and it worked just fine with my D7100, and the focus was snappy and wow can you reach out and touch someone with that lens.

wev

Contributor
It's also an excellent walk around macro with its 12" focus point; very handy if you are presented with a real mix of image opportunities

Philnz

Treating you well, @Plilnz?

Yes good so far but not really had a chance to get out much with it yet weather in NZ just now very overcast and windy. Also My wife has just had a knee replacement so. Not going far from home.:(

clucas

Thanks. I ended up purchasing one. But now I have to wait. :( My wife said it's a Christmas present!

mikew_RIP

Tell her there are now two Christmases in every 12 months,not sure of the dates but you will be able to make that up,sorry research it :D

crewchief227

I'd love to know how this lens compares to Tamron's 18-270mm lens. The price difference on Amazon is currently around £200. The extra 2mm and 30mm at each end surely won't make a huge difference, if the 18-270mm can match up well for image quality etc. then that's what I'd go for and put the extra £200 towards a nice macro lens.
I had that very decision to make today, I could get the 18-270 and a nice tripod or the 16-300. After taking pics on my body in the store with both and talking to the camera guy, who said the only difference between the two is the zoom range and not optical quality, I went with the 18-270. I compared the two images from both lenses when I got home in Lightroom and could not tell a difference when set at the same settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

robbie1

For what it's worth, the November 2014 issue of the British Nikon magazine N-Photo rates the Tamron 16-300 the best of the superzooms even ahead of both Nikon offerings.

Sent from my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4