Snaphappy's 2014 project 365

nikonpup

I spent 6.5hrs sorting and counting and counting and counting bottles as a fundraiser for my kids 4-H club. WOW, THIS OPENED UP SOME OLD MEMORIES FROM THE DAY. WE COLLECTED SODA BOTTLES (DEPOSIT REQUIRED THEN) FOR OUR CLUB. IF WE 6.5 HRS WORTH OF BOTTLES THEN WE COULD HAVE RETIRED. :)

snaphappy

I wish nikonpup! We do it twice a year and although it smells slightly better in winter with everything frozen its still a yucky job. We have a large club so usually make about $1500-2500 at each bottle drive to help with vaccinations, uniforms, aging pens at fair, judges fees etc Livestock care and showing is a pricey business :) This is a rural area so looooong driveways for kids to run down and collect from :)

I agree piperbarb I get sick and tired of seeing nothing but white outside but I do enjoy the lack of horrible bitey bugs and nasty flies :) You just have to dress properly. I don't think we get much more snow it just never melts away. Even after 6days of rain, ice pellets and slush rain we still never saw the ground but soon it'll be too cold to snow. Everything so clean, fresh and sparkly :)

Mikew the fella I get my hay from has a good 10+ yrs on you and he still hauls all that hay in each year and helps us load our truck up each week. He has all kinds of old tractors/equipment though that I'd love to play with because doing it by hand or with a tiny tractor sucks!

snaphappy

Day #5
After the work is done a little play time
Today I learned that the reading I did on my new to me 12-24mm was correct and at 12mm it is soft. Even my focus points in each photo aren't very sharp but I still love it and will keep it in mind when next I shoot that if I want sharp then I must narrow my view.
NIK_9999.jpg

NIK_0019.jpg

NIK_0052.jpg

Another day outside cleaning out stalls, hauling hay and lastly removing the safety net on the trampoline. The net keeps the snow from blowing off and builds up making it a royal pain to shovel off. Each year we put off taking the trampoline down for the winter until its frozen solid to the ground. After we removed the safety netting the kids helped remove the snow/ice and then had a great time jumping. The dog thought it an invite to fun :) After laying on the ground to untie frozen knots that hold the netting and sitting on snow to take photos I'm frozen solid and need to go outside and soak in the hot tub :)

RockyNH_RIP

Day #5
After the work is done a little play time
Today I learned that the reading I did on my new to me 12-24mm was correct and at 12mm it is soft. Even my focus points in each photo aren't very sharp but I still love it and will keep it in mind when next I shoot that if I want sharp then I must narrow my view.

Another day outside cleaning out stalls, hauling hay and lastly removing the safety net on the trampoline. The net keeps the snow from blowing off and builds up making it a royal pain to shovel off. Each year we put off taking the trampoline down for the winter until its frozen solid to the ground. After we removed the safety netting the kids helped remove the snow/ice and then had a great time jumping. The dog thought it an invite to fun :) After laying on the ground to untie frozen knots that hold the netting and sitting on snow to take photos I'm frozen solid and need to go outside and soak in the hot tub :)

Nice series here... the action tells a story...

Pat in NH

Nice shots. My time to play today. We had 0 last night and the wind screamed. Even the 4 inches of fresh snow from the other day I will have some bad drifts. I know for a fact I can't get out and even if I could the highway is shut down this morning. Fun...

snaphappy

Moab man and Marilynne the trampoline works just fine all year long I think the sun actually breaks them down faster. Hubby and I had both been on there and carefully removed the 1+ thick ice under the snow that had formed in the warm weather. We worry about that ripping the tramp if jumped on or just getting too heavy so we shovelled the 12+ inches of snow and then carefully pulled big slabs of ice off. I was going to sweep the bit of snow left but kids thought it more fun to jump with it bouncing with them.

Thanx Rocky I actually got some really great smiles and action shots of my monsters playing but although I want to learn to take better photos to capture family memories I'm not comfortable sharing their cute little mugs so you get to see the not so great face turned ones :)

Rancher ugh the wind sucks! It's not that cold here staying around -9C to -13C so 15F to 8F. Its so flat and open in our yard that when the wind blows it just blows into the neighbour yard LOL although when you spend most of the day clearing pathways in the snow only to go out a couple hours later and realize the wind has blown and filled your trails back in its frustrating! Sounds like an excellent excuse to stay home and have an extra cup of coffee before tackling those drifts. Good thing you have a lovely big wood stove to warm up in front of Stay warm and safe :)

snaphappy

Day #7
morning glow
NIK_0083.jpg
Terrible shot but the only one I took today. It was so pretty as I drove this morning but I just couldn't get a good angle. I drove through the neighbourhood trying to get a better angle but the glow kept disappearing behind the houses so I gave up. Thought I'd get to try something else but it was another crazy day so only this to post today glad I didn't hit delete.

snaphappy

Yes there was a very happy boy in the photo as well but cropped to post here. Our big Halogen light on the side of the house is super bright so he was able to see and do some shots last night. Poor Snowman has been being used as a target by the dogs as well and has a definate lean to it now :) Snowman behind (an unused) horse shelter makes a great target for young boys

snaphappy

Day #9
Winter fun- Oops
NIK_0121.jpg

That log truck was VERY stuck

Trying to get something for today that wasn't through my windshield
The ceiling is closing in
NIK_0115.jpg

snaphappy

Today (after a week of crappy photos) I had time and went out with a few ideas but was thwarted by horrible unplowed roads that I was afraid to even slow down because I'd be stuck :(
Such good beasts sitting nicely and looking towards sunlight for me
NIK_0141.jpg

My secret to nicely sitting calm puppies
NIK_0143.jpg

snaphappy

That level of attention and focus from all 3 at the same time happens only when I'm holding a couple pounds of frozen goodies from the abattoir or when I come out of the barn with a bucket of warm fresh milk. They've learned if they move a muscle I hand out nothing. When I have milk for them they have to wait patiently as I move the bucket and allow each dog turns, if any dog moves I remove the bucket until they're all calmly back in position and if they do it twice they miss a turn so they've learned quickly to focus and await their turn. The black boy has only been here a couple of months and young so still learning where his focus needs to be. The smallest pup is 85lbs and largest is over 140lbs so unruliness over goodies would end up in someone being hurt. I finally have a wide angle (taken at 12mm) so I can capture all 3 being good :)