Slow - slow - slow

Fred Kingston

Safari using nikonites.com... I only high lighted the issue as a potential for issues with how other browsers may or may not be responding to potential performance issues. I also run adblockers to keep from seeing pop up ads, even though a benefit of being a contributing member is supposed to alleviate that... There are periods that some of the more popular threads never fully resolve. I've gone weeks without being able to get the B&W post thread to resolve.

I don't upload images as much as I'd like because of performance issues... I don't get upset. I just go somewhere else... :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Safari using nikonites.com... I only high lighted the issue as a potential for issues with how other browsers may or may not be responding to potential performance issues. I also run adblockers to keep from seeing pop up ads, even though a benefit of being a contributing member is supposed to alleviate that... There are periods that some of the more popular threads never fully resolve. I've gone weeks without being able to get the B&W post thread to resolve.

I don't upload images as much as I'd like because of performance issues... I don't get upset. I just go somewhere else... :)

I've had several problems with Safari with Nikonites. Some resolved, some not. I've since switched to Chrome just for this reason. It's much better now but the last few days were problematic. This might have had to do with the servers or some kind of switch somewhere in cyberspace. Things are running smoothly now for me.

Fred Kingston

Yes... That's why I don't worry about it too much... I give it a day or two, and it eventually rights itself... I did post an image in the flowers thread today... There is definitely something hinky with the server performance... It's most noticeable in the image posting threads... Even a while ago, it takes a good minute or two to resolve the page with all the threads with all the pages of images... I have a consistent 50M download connection, so it isn't my computer connection by any stretch of the imagination.

As much as TapaTalk would like folks to believe so, their software isn't exactly optimized for a photography forum... I own a TapaTalk forum, and see these issues from both sides of the screen...

RocketCowboy

As much as TapaTalk would like folks to believe so, their software isn't exactly optimized for a photography forum... I own a TapaTalk forum, and see these issues from both sides of the screen...

Combine Tapatalk and vBulletin, and you can have all kinds of sysadmin fun! I’m glad Tapatalk didn’t exist when I was running the motorcycle forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred Kingston

No... It's been fine for a day or so now... Since I have you on the line... :) Why is there still advertising (banners et al) for the paid members? Even though I'm running adblockers, I suspect a lot of the performance issue can be traced to the ads... Does this site really generate enough advertising revenue to justify the performance hit it takes? Just curious...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
No... It's been fine for a day or so now... Since I have you on the line... :) Why is there still advertising (banners et al) for the paid members? Even though I'm running adblockers, I suspect a lot of the performance issue can be traced to the ads... Does this site really generate enough advertising revenue to justify the performance hit it takes? Just curious...

Hope John can help you, Fred. Advertising doesn't show up for me.

Fred Kingston

I'm not sure what happened... I noticed the Contributor button was OFF on my account... I went and sent John a contribution and it turned back ON... Every page refresh takes 20 seconds extra so the AD on the right-hand side can refresh... It's running a script to refresh a new add every so often... looks like about every 40 seconds...

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not sure what happened... I noticed the Contributor button was OFF on my account... I went and sent John a contribution and it turned back ON... Every page refresh takes 20 seconds extra so the AD on the right-hand side can refresh... It's running a script to refresh a new add every so often... looks like about every 40 seconds...

I thought I was seeing things. Went to send you a reply that I didn't see the contributor box when I got the long running script message. After getting out and back in, the contributor box was there. Thanks for explaining that I'm not seeing things.

nikonpup

DSC_0275-Pano-Edit.jpg
this was a old brick warehouse last weekend. Roof collapsed and took out the power lines, repairs took 20 hours.
Longest i have been without power or internet since moving here. Guess the old warehouse was not worth the cost to repair.
Nites here is still not "normal". Some threads slow to load photos. Loading photos takes longer, seems like the site has to think about what it needs to do then do it.

RocketCowboy

Kind of "feels" like it could be cache related. It took significantly longer than usual to post the challenge get poll yesterday. Lots of "thinking" for sure.
View attachment 290553
this was a old brick warehouse last weekend. Roof collapsed and took out the power lines, repairs took 20 hours.
Longest i have been without power or internet since moving here. Guess the old warehouse was not worth the cost to repair.
Nites here is still not "normal". Some threads slow to load photos. Loading photos takes longer, seems like the site has to think about what it needs to do then do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

nikonpup

posted photos ok this morning using "my photos", very very slow when i went to view threads. Thread slow to open and photos even slower.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Some bots were hitting the server this morning causing things to slow down. I took care of that.

While I was at it, I offloaded some more static content to another server, and removed the social media buttons at the top of each thread (which will prevent additional crap from loading).