She's Dead

Kevin H

Stopped at Nikon Canada this morning asked what is wrong with my camera girl say's she'll be right back. When she returned she say's the tech working on the camera is not in yet :confused: and tells me the camera is unrepairable and they are giving me the D7200 at cost price. So I asked if I take the D7200 do I get the D7100 back she says no they have to recycle it properly. So i said I would like to know what is wrong with the camera? and why it is unrepairable?? she asked if I could come back in a few hours I said I can come back in the morning. She said she'll have answers for me tomorrow. :mad:

RocketCowboy

Stopped at Nikon Canada this morning asked what is wrong with my camera girl say's she'll be right back. When she returned she say's the tech working on the camera is not in yet :confused: and tells me the camera is unrepairable and they are giving me the D7200 at cost price. So I asked if I take the D7200 do I get the D7100 back she says no they have to recycle it properly. So i said I would like to know what is wrong with the camera? and why it is unrepairable?? she asked if I could come back in a few hours I said I can come back in the morning. She said she'll have answers for me tomorrow. :mad:

That's no good. Would have been nice if the gal could have given you an answer since they've had the camera for a few days already. Providing you a new body at cost isn't much of a benefit if your D7100 was still under warranty though, IMO.

Kevin H

That's no good. Would have been nice if the gal could have given you an answer since they've had the camera for a few days already. Providing you a new body at cost isn't much of a benefit if your D7100 was still under warranty though, IMO.

Wasn't under Warranty I'll find out tomorrow if they can wait till Nov 11th I'll have the money then to buy it

Bikerbrent

First they offer you a new D7200 (at cost) for $1147.97+TAX. Currently at Amazon.ca you can buy a new D7200 for $1144.43 CDN$! Makes me wonder if they plan to properly recycle your D7100 by refurbishing it and reselling it as a refurb for a nice profit. I would demand my D7100 back and order and D7200 from Amazon.ca. I really doubt that Amazon.ca pays $1147.97 and sells it for $1144.43.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So what's their cost? How can you make certain that it's their actual cost and not the price they sell it for to dealers?

You at least have to find out what is wrong with your camera, ask them if they've seen this problem on other cameras. And do mention that consumers have rights to expect a product to have a reasonable lifetime. It's a law in Canada and companies usually prefer to deal with one customer than have their name dragged in court. Small claims courts are usually favorable to the customer when big companies try to railroad them.

Keep hoping for the best and cheapest solution for you.

Kevin H

So back in today girl showed me the camera all apart and showed me where there was corrosion inside. Apparently water got inside and shorted out the electronic boards and it would cost more than the camera is worth to fix it.
They are putting it back together and I can pick it up tomorrow. Also they gave me a service number that if I want to return it they will honour the the price they gave me - $100 cause I showed them the Amazon.ca deal:D thanks @Bikerbrent

I'll figure out what I'm going to do in the next couple weeks :D

Wonder if this had anything to do with it??? but 2 months before??

http://nikonites.com/d7100/37388-survived.html

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

I could see it taking time for the corrosion to set in, but I thought the D7100 at least had some better weather sealing than what I'm reading you went through. Glad to hear they're honoring a better price, but still chaps my backside when they tried to pass the first number off as cost. I get it ... I'd find gear from my previous employer available on Amazon cheaper than we would sell it to partners as well ... but to claim that is cost??

Kevin H

, but still chaps my backside when they tried to pass the first number off as cost. I get it ... I'd find gear from my previous employer available on Amazon cheaper than we would sell it to partners as well ... but to claim that is cost??

Today she said it was the cost they sell to retailers

Danno

So back in today girl showed me the camera all apart and showed me where there was corrosion inside. Apparently water got inside and shorted out the electronic boards and it would cost more than the camera is worth to fix it.
They are putting it back together and I can pick it up tomorrow. Also they gave me a service number that if I want to return it they will honour the the price they gave me - $100 cause I showed them the Amazon.ca deal:D thanks @Bikerbrent

I'll figure out what I'm going to do in the next couple weeks :D

Wonder if this had anything to do with it??? but 2 months before??

http://nikonites.com/d7100/37388-survived.html
Think I am going to buy one of those rain coats for my D7200 just to have... they are pretty cheap. Good to know the problem but it is disappointing. I would have thought weather seals were better.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Kevin H

I could see it taking time for the corrosion to set in, but I thought the D7100 at least had some better weather sealing than what I'm reading you went through. Glad to hear they're honoring a better price, but still chaps my backside when they tried to pass the first number off as cost. I get it ... I'd find gear from my previous employer available on Amazon cheaper than we would sell it to partners as well ... but to claim that is cost??

Think I am going to buy one of those rain coats for my D7200 just to have... they are pretty cheap. Good to know the problem but it is disappointing. I would have thought weather seals were better.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I bought it used A year ago so not sure what the guy before did with it:confused: