RON's A ROUND TUIT THREAD

RON_RIP

Built in 1982 this Country Queen Anne Highboy is rendered in Solid Pennsylvania Cherry with backs and drawers of hard maple. It weighs about 800 pounds. By special permission of the owner: This photos for you Wendy IMG - Version 2 - 2014-04-22 at 18-43-56 (1).jpg

Roy1961

Contributor
as an apprentice cabinet maker in the 70's, i remember having to sandpaper the roughness of the queen anne legs (as we called them) similar looking to the ones on there, beautiful piece of furniture

RON_RIP

as an apprentice cabinet maker in the 70's, i remember having to sandpaper the roughness of the queen anne legs (as we called them) similar looking to the ones on there, beautiful piece of furniture
Thanks Roy. I have always enjoyed shaping Queen Anne legs. Went to various museums to study the different leg styles to get a sense of proportion. My first "master" was a hard task master. I still have never totally satisfied him.

wthorson

Built in 1982 this Country Queen Anne Highboy is rendered in Solid Pennsylvania Cherry with backs and drawers of hard maple. It weighs about 800 pounds. By special permission of the owner: This photos for you WendyView attachment 85168

Ron, That is soooooo beautiful. WOWZERS!! You are a great woodworker. I am amazed at the detail. How long did it take you to build it?

RON_RIP

Thank you both. It took about 9 months to build and while I was associated briefly with a fellow who was a master of the undercut ball and claw foot int e Philadelphia style, I always stuck to the plain Queen Anne style. The other two styles that I built most of my pieces in was Shaker and Arts and Crafts. In other words, the simpler styles.

RON_RIP

Thanks Wendy. It is a very peaceful place. I go there at least 4 times a year just to recharge my batteries. Was hoping for a colorful sunset but it did not develop, then I thought I would try a shot of the stars but screwed that up and as night fell the temp plunged below freezing and so I gave it up. Will go back in summer and try again.

RON_RIP

Beautiful! I really like your composition.

Thanks Mai. The Big Ranger did the composition. I just tried to frame it in the viewfinder. That is actually a golf course with the lodge out of site to the right and the overnight annex behind me. Across the lake are many vacation homes hidden in the woodland. I no longer golf but go there just for the serenity.

RON_RIP

I like that half the image are grass. And the shadows going over it.

Sent from Tapatalk
Thanks Mai. On a cloudless evening, sunsets tend to be flat but I love the hour when the long shadows grow and a soft light steals over the landscape.

RON_RIP

My latest piece_AAA1866 - Version 2 - 2014-03-08 at 10-25-12.jpg in Cherry and Tulip Poplar. The vase is Osage Orange. The walnut board will be my next project. i have 2 alike.

Attachments

• _AAA1870 - 2014-03-08 at 10-31-21.jpg
    _AAA1870 - 2014-03-08 at 10-31-21.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 40

RON_RIP

I have for the last dozen years or so been a devotee of George Nakashima and Japanese rural furniture. It has a simplicity that mirrors Shaker and better Arts and Crafts. This desk or table is of slab American Sycamore with cherry slabs for legs.I debarked the wane edge and you can see the worm tracks that were under the bark. A good portion of the top is quarter sawn creating the pattern that is sometimes called American lacewood001 - Version 2 - 2009-01-04 at 09-50-25.jpg